Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 chevy 2 (nova) how to repair bent mono leaf mount?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jserrato714, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jserrato714

jserrato714
    from oc

Hey there hambers...I came across a new project...Its a 63 chevy 2 ht project....it runs and its all stock...I drove on the freeway at 70 mph and it felt solid and drove straight...Today me and my bros were cruising around town and the tire on the passenger side kept on rubbing so I figured it was just them since they are big boys. When I drove in there alone a had no problems whtat so ever... So I decided to jack it up and do an inspection which I should of done when I bought her...So I look at the pasanger side and I see that my mono leaf(leaf spring) pocket is bent a bit....Its not super bad but its caved in about an inch or so.....When I came across it I nearly cried cuz I think I bought a lemon....Is this repairable? what would be the quickest way to full it and try to square it as much as possible? Or is this car junk? The uni frame is straight but that mount is pushed in about 1 up towards the floor....How bad is this......

Attached Files:

2. jserrato714

jserrato714
    from oc

3. F&J

F&J

What is above that dent? Is it a closed area? or can you get to the dent to work it back down?

If it's sealed up, you may have to find a shop that can weld something to it and pull it. It looks like a bracket has broken spot welds also.

Car looks rust free, so it is worth fixing for sure.

4. jserrato714

jserrato714
    from oc

Sweet I got a responce...Thank You by the way...Yup rust free...Yeah broken spot weld....Yeah the metal seems thin enough to work, however I dont have the slitest Idea as to how...I am thinking a slide hamer but I would half to drill holes....I am looking for a welder now...Not sure If I should get the piece cut then straightend out off the car and re welded..What do you think? and how safe will it be welded? I am amazed how thin the medal is..wow

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Had a bunch of these cars and never seen a spring box f'd up that bad. It looks to have took a hard hit from the front. Could be straightened out but might be weakened from the damage incurred. If you were to knock the upper section back into shape, it would be easier to cut a hole in the floor and get at it from the top and add a plate for reinforcement, the bracket will be even more fun. I'd just find a competent fab guy and get some of these: http://www.classicindustries.com/nova/parts/14619w.html
    Listed for '66-7 but should still fit.

6. 1badnov

1badnov
    from South Bay

7. 29moonshine

29moonshine

any good frame shop should be able to pull it back in place and reweld it

8. Midget25

Midget25

X 2, if you don't have tools just take it to a frame shop, won't be any big deal for them.............

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Be happy that area ain't a big ball of rust,easily fixed by someone with correct tools/know how.

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

very repairable --if you can't do it there are lots of shops that can---your car is fine

11. jserrato714

jserrato714
    from oc

Thanks guys for the feed back...I found a guy on c list who is a certified welder...Hes planing on going at it from the top. Cutting a hole on the floor under the rear seat and heating up the mount and straighteng it out that way. He also said he was going to add a plate at the top through the cut hole on my floor and making it structurely sound. Looks easy and doable but my tools and time are limited...It was the previous owners daily driver so with the new support and welding it should be better and stronger than when it rolled off the line....