Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 23 T body repairs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mindover, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I think there should be a seperate T section with a bead shape down the back, similar to that found on the turtledeck of a '27. I am not 100 per cent sure though.

David

2. tinmann

tinmann

David, your metal work is always top notch. The rear panel appears to have slight outward crown to it. I would like to know the manner in which you formed the reverse curve in the lower section.

3. fitzee

fitzee

I really enjoy seeing what your doing next..lots of cool things to see.

4. Yeah yeah yeah , nothing to show yet . Only pics I do have are of the mock-up and CAD drawings for the tube chassis , , , of which, are all with LVVTA now seaking Concept Approval . Could be a wee while yet before I physicly start building it !!! Until then , , , Zero2Show :D

Shrappy :cool:

5. Definately want to see more of this build.

1shot

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

That is nice work!

7. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks for you nice comments guys. I dont have masses of photos of the work I did but I have a few more. I have quite a few more photos of the original body parts before I started and some of the tools and bucks I made to do the work which I will post asap. That may help you Shrapnel.

I think Al (flatheadal) the owner of the car is going to post some photos of it finished.

David

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I see what you are saying in the photo but it is actually totally flat, look at the top of the panel. The bottom outward curve is a single curve that was formed over a piece of plastic waste pipe (the stuff that is used for plumbing) I keep for just this sort of job. I may have 'broken the back' of it on a wheel (wheeling machine) I cant remember now. It is a single curve though.

David <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

9. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here is another shot of the repairs just after they had been welded in place. Quite a bit of metal hadto be replaced this side.

[​IMG]

In this photo you can see the inside of the repairs. I made a dash panel as well.

[​IMG]

David

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

David, it looks as though all of the wood bracing was removed from this body, I assume that you probably rebraced it with steel. Any shots of what you did there?

11. Nice work David!!

12. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Sorry I didn't get involved in that. I am not sure what was done.

David

13. oj

oj

Man, that is some nice work. How do you get the beads to match up so nice? It seems to me that when i make them they tend to pull metal and don't wind up exactly where they should be.
    Thanks, oj

14. Impressive stuff David. Cheers for sharing .

Shrapnel :cool:

15. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I did the beads on a Pullmax, I made a template to follow with the tooling. The template was made from hardboard.

David

16. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thanks! Looks a bit 'bitty' with all the welding but it seemed the best way to do it.

David

17. David, as always spectacular work. This gives me ideas for when I build a T.... but for now I need to stay focused on my ute. :D

18. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Thank you. K13 and Jimmy B. As I said earlier I did not attempt to get a metal finish on this body but the beads blended well and the welds are nice and flat so I just did a little planishing to make it smooth and called it done.
    The jointed area was no better or worse than the rest of the metal.

David

19. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Here is a slightly better shot of the cowl panel and firewall. Al (the owner) ended up finding an original cowl top so sold this one on I believe. I made a buck from an original cowl panel that was borrowed then made this from the buck. I think Al has some photos he will post soon of the car at various stages.

[​IMG]

David

20. fitzee

fitzee

wow great work.. never saved much of the cowl on that! I didnt think it looked that bad!

21. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

HI Fitzee, the original cowl top was OK it was borrowed from someone as a pattern so I made one for this car using it to copy.

David

22. Very cool David.

Now for the big question , , , did you do the cowl top from one piece ?

23. fleet-master

fleet-master

looks like a single piece on the top with a swaged section on each end. Welded bout 3-4in up from the swage ,plug or spot welded along the top to the dash...? nice work David

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  24. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

Yes it was made from three pieces welded in the middle of the reverse curve. It is a seperate panel none of these panels are welded together as standard so I did not weld the cowl to the dash. The cowl panel stops at the bottom of the swage and the two pieces simply overlap at that point. The new piece of metal below that is part of the side panel.

David

25. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

This is the body pretty much as I finished it.

[​IMG]

Like I said I did not try to make it perfect just make is a sound body that would see lots of good use for years to come.

David

sko_ford likes this.
  26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Magnificent work. You didn't show the interior reinforcement whether wood or steel that was used to hold the body steady and whether it copied the orginal wood or??

27. You freaked me out a bit on this one Dave as I thought Al had bought another body, then I realized that this is the one that's been back on the road for 5 or so years. Great work as usual

28. Another very cool pic , of some great work David . Cheers again for sharing.

29. fleet-master

fleet-master

swage looks wonky against turtleback??? surely not David?? :D:D:p

30. heyitsnate

heyitsnate