Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 51 Plymouth Cranbrook Student build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bonneville High School, Nov 12, 2012.

1. You always hear what is wrong with education theses days and never what is right. You Sir are what is right. #6 for me also, the pole link is not working.

2. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Word! Thanks for the effort and EXTRA effort! You are making a difference in some lives indeed!

3. dmikulec

dmikulec

Small world! I'll be interested to see which route you finally end up taking with it. Best of luck to you and your students on the project. :cool:

Dave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. Rattaxi48

Rattaxi48
    from ohio

great project wish our school would have let us work on something like that. i see it still has the emblems on the front fenders. if you would be interested in selling them let me know . i

5. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Hope that the scan I sent u was openable . Let me know?

Attached Files:

6. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Thank you for the line drawing it is a great help

7. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

ok I dont get this one, I told all the students that we will be cutting today after school and and I had 11 students sign up for tonight Well I just got done cutting the car and only one student showed up. WOW. so here are the photos of the cut.

Attached Files:

8. Muffin

Muffin
    from Layton, UT

Going to be a big job! Hope you can get more of the students out to help. Looks like lots of fun.

9. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Busy week, getting the students ready for their state skills testing, and today the school had parent teacher conference, two parents stopped by the shop in the 6 hours I had to be there. I had my HO slot car track out and raced the kids that walked by on the track, as well as I had two student stay and we cut 4 ¼ inches off the A pillar and bent the lower post in, it’s looking great. I hope to get more work done, but the shop is closed, for the school is get a new in ground scissor lift and I don’t want any students falling into the hole.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  10. I'm not surprised,kids today are like we were and in the excitement of the moment are excited and really want to participate,,ie,,all the ideas they came up with for this project.

But unlike when a lot of us were kids we didn't have computers and a million and one things pulling us in different directions,,then enthusiasm starts to wane.

I hope things get back on track and the students that wanted to build this car all come back and fulfill their and your expectations.

As I posted earlier,,I fear the enormity and scope of the project has dampened some of the students spirits.

Good luck,, HRP

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  11. Third column, second car down. I like that!

Our local vo-tech auto shop is wanting to build one of their donated GM cars into an electric hot-rod, with the intent of running at Bonneville. Hopefully, they can get the administrators to buy off on the idea.

12. Hope the student's interest increases...seems like a fun learning project to me.

13. It's been a month now and no updates,,I hope the project hasn't stalled because the kids lost interest. HRP

14. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Sorry for the no updates. Been off of school for Thanksgiving Break and Christmas Break and all the State test to be done as well as the end of term is this week.

So the students have been working on the just little, here and there. Got the roof just sitting back on the car and looking to line it back up today to put on some spot weld and then the students are going to start on cutting the rear door to weld back on.

What better timing than now to have the welder go down. Today should get the parts in.

I will post more photos at the end of the month, because I getting all new students starting next week and I have to do safety review before we can even go into the shop.

15. Another month has come and gone,,any news? HRP

16. Yup, been watching this as well, let's see some pics of the progress, even if it's just a little at a time

17. I remember when this thread started I suggested keeping it simple where the kids could see it through by the end of the year,,a few guys here thought I was being somewhat of a arse for making such a suggestion.

Not at all,when my suggestions fell on deaf ears I still followed this thread and have been in the teacher and the students corner to pull it off but feared the project would stall and all the enthusiasm the kids exhibited from the beginning would quickly wane as the project got more involved.

Today's kids have so much after school activity's pulling them in so many different directions I would think the magnitude of the build has overwhelmed the students.

I still hope I'm wrong but at the rate it's going those kids won't see the project done by the end of the year. HRP

18. Sadly, unless something drastic happens, I think you're dead on right. There's nothing that destroys interest and enthusiasm quicker than an unfinished project. The chop could have waited. I hope it picks up steam, so these kids can see their efforts rewarded.

19. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

I've been watching for up dates. Hope that some of the last year kids will show up just to see the thing go! I know it must be slow moving with it being a school project. Safety is high when working with kids that don't know how quickly they can get hurt. I hope that in your new students there will be a couple of kids that really get "ON fire" about building this because than it will really take off. Good Luck!!

20. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I wish my school would have had Autoshop, stupid California schools are too worried about passing test on math that you will never use, than classes you a actually can use for life skills EVERY ONE will own a car dont remember the last time algebra or geometry has ever come in handy:p I will be watching this thread looks cool...:cool:

21. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

Sorry for any delay, we have the front of the roof weld on and still waiting for the metal to show up for the floor and rockers. So here is the new front cut with a drop to 9” the steering wheel fills the view. Students are enjoying the project just finish rebuilding the brakes, but I going to replace the front with disk I think. The student are getting ready to pull the engine to rebuild and looking for an automatic tranny to install.

Just a side note my students placed third in regional competition.

Attached Files:

22. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

start cut and fit the rear window

Attached Files:

23. Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly

take look at my car . Unorthodox Plymouth chop

24. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

here the update from tonight

look at the last photo, it a nice fix of the sway bar.

Attached Files:

25. Good to see the project hasn't been abandoned. For front disc brakes, go with the Ford Explorer brake conversion. I did this on my 52, easiest swap ever!

26. supervert

supervert

I like the way the rear of the chop is going, its a little different than the rest. Glad to the kids workin on some old iron instead of all of the computers on wheels. I wish I was more into cars at that age and had a teacher that wanted to teach some real education like this. Keep up the good work.

27. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

where is any information on the conversion?

28. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

29. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

The engine is out and being torn down. Hope to get it machined this coming week.

Attached Files:

30. Bonneville High School

Bonneville High School
    from Utah

I need help with some information on bolting up an Automatic Transmission….