Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do you correctly lower a Model A with PRE war parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JTW, Dec 1, 2012.

1. JTW

JTW

What does it look like when you lower a modelA with correct period parts? Ive seen modern underslung brackets, ETC... But how would I do it if I were looking at it in my shop in 1940? Do I use a 37-42 style car rear?

As always Thank you Fellow HAMBERS... I love to learn traditional styles, and I think you older crowd is disrespected a lot... I would have given anything to ride in 1955!!!

2. beings its a model a, if you still have the model a frame or are using a model a rear crossmember switch out the a spring to a t spring. on the front, drop axle and reverse eye spring. beyond that is going to require massaging the crossmember to allow the springs to mount higher.

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And of course, a set of 16" wheels and tires.

4. Front suspension - 32-34 axle (1 3/4" drop), 32-34 spring perches (to maintain alignment for mechanical brakes), reverse eye spring (1" drop), #'s 2,3 & 4 leaves removed (1 1/4" drop) - total 4"

Rear - Stock A crossmember with 1916-1927 8 leaf T spring - approx. 4" drop. If you need more rear drop you can reverse the main spring eyes or heat/bend the spring.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
    MADster likes this.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When did the "spring behind" rear axle setup come in? '41? That's still pre-war, but I doubt it got implemented until a little later.

6. Carter

Carter

The spring moved to mounting behind the rear axle in 32.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like gwhite's answer. That seems to about cover it since guys really didn't start dropping axle's to 4" until late 40's.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Carter. Proof below. I couldn't remember...obviously. So the '32 thru '41 rear suspension setup would be an option if you move the Model A crossmember rearward.

[​IMG]

9. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

You can flatten the front crossmember a little too.
    Easy to get 1" lower for a couple hours work.
    TP

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Also take out a couple leaves out of both front and rear springs.
    Usually two out works OK.
    Take them off the top for starters, may get a 3rd if you like the ride soft...

11. On my old A roadster I used a T spring out back, and reversed the eyes on the front spring and took a couple leafs out. It lowered it to what i thought looked very period for pre-war

12. JTW

JTW

Awesome answers, yes, I actually have a nice 35, I believe that is under slung, but it would require some cross member movement. Yes I've got several sets of the 16 from 35 Ford, but I really would like to stay with the original tallies! Got several T springs as well. I knew about the reverse eye deal and flatten out cross X. Rear was the concern. Like I said, I don't want a big O drop axle in the front. Another question... Did they speed hole the wishbones, visor, front axle... Etc, or will that kill the look? Real 32 grill shell I assume had to be shortened by 2" to run hood, and Zepher dual down draft. I guess technically drop axles were not really implemented utile post war?
    Thank you gentleman.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  13. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

In addition to everything mentioned above, an old timer told me that before the war, they used longer spring shackles

14. This was for the rear only....and watch for side movement on corners,,or install a sway bar. I ran 6" shackles on my 39 cpe back in 1952

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]

reversed eye springs with leaves taken out , 4" drop axle .

16. Can't on a model A, the springs are over the axle. Any longer shackle then stock and the spring will hit the axle.

17. Here is my old roadster: 32 front axle, reverse eyed spring, couple smaller leafs removed. On the rear, it was a T spring with one leaf removed. Nothing post war about the car.

[​IMG]

18. manyolcars

manyolcars

reversed eye springs with leaves taken out---of the rear???
    Do the tires hit the rear fenders?

19. This is my old coupe. Same as above roadster, but it had a dropped axle...so it could not technically be pre war. A's are pretty easy to lower if you don't want it slammed.

[​IMG]

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

Does the bent spring pictured work OK? I have one on my A and suspect it causes my steering problems

21. I have one under the rear of my 34 roadster and it drives fine.

22. manyolcars

manyolcars

speed bumps cause my A to turn left and I feel sure all the front end is correct and in good condition

Attached Files:

23. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

You got some bump steer

24. Yep, shorten the pitman arm.

25. JTW

JTW

That makes sence about the leaf removals. I gues same ol question, so A stock axle with like a 2" drop is definately.. post, or is kinda iffy, or completely out as they did not do it? I would say for now Im leaning tword stock wheels white walls, Fender-less, HC head, ZEPHER dual intake, with dual Y header. The only thing I am going to do, because its hidden, and for drivability sake.. I will go ahead and add a 12V harness. BUT I will go with cloth correct wire wherever it is in view. Now when did the aftermarket dizzy come out for the A, is that pre or post.. SIGH, like I said I am so used to post that I dont have to be this picky about parts.

Thanks guys

26. JTW

JTW

i like this!!!

1stGrumpy likes this.
  27. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

28. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Yep, this is great info and all in one spot. Thanks guys.

29. JTW

JTW

Any one else? got some pics?

30. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

is a 36 axle an option? Seems like it has about a 2" drop, or is it the same as a 32-34?