Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

Looks like a dead squirell stuck in a french horn..
    Congrats to Alex. The family talent pool runs deep..

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

Update!

Bryant/Carrier says: We'll give you a new heat exchanger but you'll pay the labor and it'll kill you. So I've been working like a dog and the new heater is in and producing heat. After I clean up the mess downstairs I should be getting back to the shop. :) BTW I discovered the water heater is leaking. Is that all the life these new appliances have--12 years? I going to start building my own!
    BACK TO THE SHOP!!!

Jerry

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Actually, it seems like anything beyond ten years, or whenever the warranty runs out, whichever comes first, is about all you can expect anymore. Sad how the quality of appliances has gone down hill.

4. Ram Air Bob

Ram Air Bob

I was also tired of throwing away water heaters the day after the warranty was over. I discovered that Reem manufacturers a line of water heaters with a LIFETIME guarrenty. The line is called Marathon. I have mine outside in the rain, and it is over ten years so far. The entire water heater is made of plastic. (except the elements) and it is the highest efficency rated water heater on the market. (At least ten years ago it was) Check it out.
    If you can do what you did on the speedster, a heat exchange should be like falling off a log.

5. is it to late to go underslung?

6. ccbb

ccbb

From the photo, I thought you were going to say you pulled a crispy cat out of the heater...

[​IMG]

"half clogged" "Then it polluted..."

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You aint kiddin' about the appliances being short-lived...especially if it's got a lot of electronics. (washer/dryer) I knew better. But they can usually be fixed...even by me. Anyway, glad you're warm again. I'm looking forward to seeing another video...of your finished giant speedster headin' down the road.

8. jpgraphics

jpgraphics

Just had to throw this in ...sorry so late..built this a couple of years ago....

Pinewood derby...didnt expect it to come in second in pack, but it did!

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is such an inspiring build....Im only halfway through the thread!...great stuff....

JP

9. jpgraphics

jpgraphics

Hahahhahahahha.....can I use this for my avatar!...brilliant!

JP

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

I'm back!

How long has it been? I was caught in a nasty dream. Someone chained me in a little room and forced me to work on a furnace. It was hideous. My buddy Neil said it should take just one day to change over a furnace. Crap! I had to widen the base. Make up an adapter for the top. Change the flue from PVC to metal. Move ducts around. Take the control board from the Bryant and adapt it to the RUUD. (Is that legal?) Better not tell my insurance guy. I had to chop holes in the foundation wall. What a way to make a living! Okay, so all I did when I got back to my shop was wipe on some more bondo, but man did it feel good! I also drove to Gainesville to buy some sheet metal for the fender aprons but all they had were some bent up sheets. They said they'd have more in Monday. Maybe I can prime the rear fenders tomorrow. Hey, I'm back!

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  11. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

Is the Whisky to bribe the building inspector because the switch cover is missing and the Romex is unsupported? I am just "busting you balls"... it is great to have you back!

12. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

[​IMG]Truly a thing of beauty!
    As long as it keeps you warm.
    Be sure to have your CO detector working!
    KK

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

So...Does this mean the car is now the "Seagrams Special" instead of the "Seagraves Special"? :p

14. yonahrr

yonahrr

Fender Aprons

My buddy Keith and I went down to Gainesville today and picked up the steel for the fender aprons along with some more 1/4 inch rod. We also stopped by Krystal and split a 12 pack of burgers. They're like a southern White Castle if you've never been to one. Got back and started bending up the rod for the border. Since the apron is all flat I'm going to make this all free hand. The rod was wiggling and waggling every where so it was a good thing Keith hung around and helped me. We were bending it on anything we could find. I even robbed the upper wheel off the Chinese/English wheel. The border needs some final tweaking and a few braces before I cut out the sheet metal. Hey, this is more fun than sanding bondo.

Jerry

Attached Files:

15. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Looking good. 'Most anything is better than sanding Bondo.

The second to last pic makes the hood look like a coffin. Any more thoughts as to logo or decoration there?

16. any name plate leftover from the firey furnace ?

17. Squablow

Squablow

I really love this project. Not because it fits my personal style, but because it's like someone took a 2 minute "wouldn't it be cool if" conversation and then followed it all the way through. I can't wait to see it outside all in one piece! Amazing dedication!

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

Wouldn't it be cool if Jay Leno sent the crew down here to help me paint!

Wait, I think I dozed off for a minute. I spent the day bending around on 1/4 rod trying to make a left side apron to match the right side. That's hard because it's the mirror image. Now if I only could rotate it through the 4th spatial dimension... Okay, I made one without Stephen Hawkin's help. Then I put in a little notch for the exhaust. It doesn't show up very good in the photos. I need some braces and attachments as well too. After that? Cut out the sheet metal. That ought to be fun since it has to be done free hand.

Jerry

Attached Files:

19. faxis2k

faxis2k

That's Stephen Hawking! Be careful or he'll turn you into a black hole.

20. yonahrr

yonahrr

Hawkin, Hawkings--the guy needs some work on his ride.

Xmas is slowing me down. School is out. Worked on one fender. Big deal. Haven't cut any metal. Found out my water heater is leaking. Wonderful! I did find two interesting giant speedster projects on ebay for some adventurous hot rodder to start on. Check them out.

Jerry

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gene...2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&forcev4exp=true

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251191433070?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Attached Files:

21. Jerry,

That Stude chassis has been on a few times, and it's starting to get reasonable!... and you need that switcher for your yard, now DON'T you :D?

22. txturbo

txturbo

wow....that first one is close to me.....don't think it will fit in the garage though.

23. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

You might be wise to check it out. I had what looked like exactly the same unit bought a few years back for less than scrap value & at the last minute a locomotive dealer slipped in & paid way more for it. It seems he knew the electric drive unit was the same as current shunting locomotives & he sold that piece for $65,000 as a rebuildable core! I still have 600 ft of track in my yard that never was needed.

24. yonahrr

yonahrr

The ad says it runs and is rail ready. Probably low miles. I wish I had the bucks and a place to set it up. I've always wanted a tourist RR. A couple miles would be good enough. Might even be some federal money to be had. Highway transport is cheaper than you think. I had my 40 ton loco moved 150 miles about 18 years ago for approximately $4000.00. That loco weighs 25 ton. Helen GA needs a tourist RR. Someone find an investor.

Jerry

25. yonahrr

yonahrr

Jack, you've got some interesting stuff in your yard. :)

Jerry

26. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Too much interesting stuff!

Merry Christmas!

Attached Files:

27. yonahrr

yonahrr

Here's our Christmas card picture to all you guys. We had to include the new dog--Dingo.

Our Christmas "thoughts" are with you.

Jerry

Attached Files:

LSJUNIPER likes this.
  28. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Yeah... What he ^ said... :D

29. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Uh huh. What's buzzin, cousin?