Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metal hammer in line at the scrap yard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motobilt, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

If you look on the ACMOC, Yesterday's Tractors and Red Power forums, you will probably find some hobby folks who will be happy to adopt those old critters- still some of us around who know how to work on them, and it's always a challenge to coax an old horse back to life. Lots of shows and playdays for old iron around the country, and if they're too far gone, a tractor salvage yard is still better than the shredder, at least some parts can go to saving some other ones

2. Believe it or not ive advertized those on yesterdays tractors, craigslist, rock & dirt, and the ark democrat gazzette. All Ive got is lowballers. I did sell one guy $500 worth of final drive parts from the junk TD 14 .sadly the only guy with the ready cash is the scrap man. And I can use the money now. Shipping is atrocious even on the parts. Everything on them is heavy and must go on truck frieght. Ill just torch the bolt heads holding them together off and haul them in pieces to the scrap man. the radiators by themselves will bring more than ive been offered so far. Im gonna cash in while the scrap price is high. If some no nonsence buyer comes buy with cash and a way to haul my goodies away they can indeed buy them. Its only a matter of thime before the goverment makes me get rid of the hoard anyway. Ive have reciently flown over my place in a small plane it really stands out from the air. oldWolf

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Man you guys would cry at all the stuff i seen in line or driveing past my office for ecology scrap metal. Big rig loads of mills, lathes, massive brakes, and stuff i just dont know what it is. really not many old cars though so thats good. People need metal to make stuff and why mine it all, just what it is.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

It's "the cycle of life". Something this old probably no longer works, or it would take too much to get it functioning again; where are you going to get parts? On Saturday, the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier was decomissioned, and this will ultimately be it's fate. My only hope is that it does'nt come back to us as foreign cars and Harbor Freight tools (or the like). At least the Enterprise is'nt going to be sunk for use as an artificial reef, like so many old battleships and carriers have been; that's truly a waste of resourses. I will say that's a nice trailer the power hammer is on. Butch/56sedandelivery/.

5. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

And a whole container of dies too

Attached Files:

6. slammed

slammed

A dead dozer is one thing, these other machines turned to scrap are another. Some posters are compelled to try and justify there decision. If they never said a word, there would be no need to do so.

7. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

Nice piece of equipment...

8. This thing better get saved. Buy it! This is most shops dream machine.

9. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

So what did you pay for it all?

10. Yea, what's really going on?

11. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

OKay, Okay........ I was just having fun with you guys, It wasn't scrapped, it's safe and secure...... And I bought it for less than that box of dies is worth

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn it, I texted a few people that it got scrapped and now I had to tell them it was saved. You're making my head spin.

Interested in selling? I have a friend that would be interested in it.

13. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

not selling it.

14. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Burt will be waiting for you in the big house:)

15. Cruel but lucky. So did you save it from scrap or just buy it?

16. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Some keen powers of observation right there.

17. jonathan

jonathan
    from Phoenix,AZ

Coooool. Well it obviously wasn't getting used wherever it was. Glad it's found a home that will use it!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. Pm sent about the Cletrac. Been looking for parts for mine....maybe I should scrap it too..

19. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

Didn't save it from the scrap, Just thought is was a funny picture on the way home with it, It was sitting beside a machine shed out in the country, Used to be in a horse trailer mfg plant since the 60s, U.S. Govt before that

20. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Quite simply and bluntly then Sir you are a tit.

21. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

What a waste of bandwidth this thread is. :mad:

22. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I told you this was bull shit 3 pages ago!!!!!!!

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... So great score!! Lucky! So, what's the scoop? What are you making with it and are you going to show us the restoration process? Always wondered what is involved with restoring one of those in that condition.

And how in the HELL are you going to get it off the trailer when you get it home?

24. Some of you guys need to actually read the threads. Posts 41 and 42 at the top of page 3 where he spilled the beans:rolleyes:

Congrats on the score!

25. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Who is it that is making those castings, anyway?

I recently got to try a repop out at another HAMBer's shop, who uses it for aircraft reproduction parts. It resembled a Yoder, but had several obvious differences. Used a conical sewing machine type clutch, I think.

26. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

Jimmy Heverton , Renato Moskovich (sp), clay cook, and Bryce Wollbrink, and Steve Powell all make similar hammers for sale

27. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Whats that piece with the small leaf spring??

28. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

Getting it on the trialer was easy, Had a f700 crane truck available, getting it off is another story, gonna take the arms off and then we can lift the base off with the forklift (base weighs 3900#), sine we are gonna restore it before using it, that works out perfect, I'll take some pics of the process as I go alone the restoration and post when I have enough info to make it worth reading

29. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

the leaf spring is the spring that runs the die block on the backside, the backside was disassembled when I bought it, but is all there

30. I worked in 2 machine shops that were closed down and liquidated... for scrap. A few pieces went to machinery dealers, the rest was put out on the parking lot outside. I made sure I wasn't around when the scrap trucks came for them.

2 big LeBlond gap lathes, a Van Norman universal mill, 2 Hitachi Seiki CNC mills, tons (literally) of sheet metal equipment. It happens all the time.

Bob