Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting a 56 pontiac wagon. What to expect?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Getting my greasy hands on a 56 pontiac station wagon. New to classic pontiacs. Anything odd i need to expect? :rolleyes:Has original motor and trans. Cant find a whole lot of information on them.:confused:

Attached Files:

2. Rust around the headlights is probably a given. Also the front edge of the hood, and the lower tailgate.

3. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

whats it worth?

4. scotts52

scotts52

I got a 55 9 passenger and a 55 4 door. Floors need replaced in both, some other rust, not too bad. Not running but may be able to get em running in a weekend. Mice ravaged interiors. Paid a $1000 for the pair.

5. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

What to expect.... hmmmm.... Well, expect everyone to say it's a chevy, a nomad, or a safari. Parts are kinda tough to come by. Cool factor= HIGH. Fun factor= HIGH. Looks like yours is a 4 door. It's impossible to make 4 door '56 Pontiac wagon's cool.

[​IMG]

chevrolet50steve likes this.
  6. Looks pretty decent on top but that dirt flooring could have been deadly depending how long it has sat there.In addition to floors,check around the spare wheel house and especially the body mounts.If you jack it on the frame side and you can't open the doors you might be in trouble.The obvious missing trim pieces should be the same as the sedans.
    Trans could be either the Dual-Range(early)on Strato-Flight(late).Easy to tell:early doesn't have a Park position on the shift quadrant;uses Reverse as Park.Expensive to overhaul if non-functional.Replacement of the early one is hard(I looked for 3 years for one!)as it is different from the 55(larger output shaft and different U-joint).I have a 56 trans in my Safari and had to make up a driveshaft from the 55 and 56 shafts.That is the only other trans that will fit without modification.
    Check other Pontiac posts on here for engine interchangeability.

7. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Nice very nice,

8. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

here are some sweet wagons

Attached Files:

9. Ramblur

Ramblur

10. I think they look great as a gasser / street machine style one, someone here..I think safarknut knows the person (maybe even is him) has a nice blue wagon, was from Boston area originally..was a sick machine

11. Big Mac I call BS,,not everybody dislikes 4 doors,,wagons are cool no matter how many doors they have.

[​IMG]

Back to the question,,sadly you can expect a lot of rust but you can bring it back to life with some time and a lot of work.,,Good luck! HRP

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    i.rant and hotrodjack33 like this.
  12. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I miss my 55 wagons! :eek: the best part of owning a Pontiac wagon is not everybody owns one!

13. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

HRP, you missed the sarcasm my friend. You didn't notice that MY 56 Pontiac wagon in the picture is a 4 door. Glad you approve though! lol.....

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  14. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Does it have a good title? I would guess from looking at one picture its in the $500-1000 range.

15. Sarcasm is lost in print without the :D or :) faces,,:D HRP

nochop and hotrodjack33 like this.
  16. This one is mine but a 57.Built in Revere in the early 1960's.Still has all the goodies except the big motor.If it don't get finished this year it's going up for sale.

Attached Files:

17. those wagons rock!

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Master cylinder is still under the floor.. What a pain....

19. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

I saw this one last month in a seldom-visited junk yard. The cars are packed so close together that it's almost impossible to take any parts off them.

20. skrapin_64

skrapin_64
    from Chino ,CA

21. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

In my experidence, there is no reason to pay more for a car that has "a little rust" than one with the hole that you can let a cat through.

You can't patch a a small hole in a rocker panel.

Front fenders are always rotted out at least 8" high.

Quater panels always need 3 repair panels.

Tailgates always need a full lower panel

Engines should always be rebuilt.

Brake systems must be completly replaced.

Anything less will always come back to haunt you.

22. scotts52

scotts52

I've seen that picture online before. Beautiful car. 57 Safari is my favorite of all Safari's and Nomads.

bchctybob likes this.
  23. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Got it hauled home today:D. Thank god for chainsaws. Needs rocker work, some floor pan work and a lot of glass. Been sitting since mid sixties. Engine bay for of debris. Got everything underhood cleaned. Hooked up a battery and the motor turns over without problem!!:D:D

Attached Files:

24. Great car! Good luck with your project.

25. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

26. bryan6902

bryan6902

Looks like a nice start... Look through my build, did a couple things to my 57. PM me if you get stuck looking for parts or need to be pointed in a direction.

27. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Here's my old poncho. I wish I had never sold it.[​IMG][/IMG]

28. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

Re: Getting a 56 pontiac wagon. What to expect?
    <HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>Here's my old poncho. I wish I had never sold it.[​IMG][/IMG]
    wow i love your old wagon, same color as mine.

29. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

why do they call them poncho? just short to pontiac?

30. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

You know, Im not realy sure.

chryslerfan55 likes this.