Register now to get rid of these ads!

Metal hammer in line at the scrap yard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motobilt, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If advertised properly and priced reasonably it would have sold for sure

2. woodypecker

woodypecker

Hang out at your local scrap yard, make friends and tell them what you want you might be surprised with what you get. Several years ago a local yard used to have Saturday treasure hunt day.

3. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I got a killer air compressor a few weeks back for $100 - headed for the scap yard. Would cost a G easy, if new, and works perfect. Just converted the motor to single phase...

4. flathead okie

flathead okie

I've bought 32 front and rear suspension, B motor with trans, and a Flathead V8, 36 front axle, 39 axle, both with wide five wheels and a Custom Edmunds intake with 94's, and a Model A frame out of the scrap yard near me, recently.
    They would've crushed all of it if someone hadn't saved it. They don't know or care what it is....it's just scrap iron to them. Today I found a mini bike chopper frame complete with handlebars and sissy bar $25. I also bought a bead roller made in the 30's 40's for $20.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Well I heard its not for sale, so more than likely its not getting scrapped...thank GOD!!

6. hotrodbill

hotrodbill

I've been through that many times.
    The best one was a project that I had gotten burnt out on, a 46 Chevy truck.
    I posted the cab for sale really cheap, some dweeb offers me some pocket lint and magic beans for it, I respectfully decline his offers.
    I know that he will never find one for what I am asking.
    Then the bobber pickup craze picks up, and 8 months later he is now willing to pay what I first asked.

I said, "sorry I scrapped it a long time ago"

It is currently in my garage being built.

7. <label for="rb_iconid_14">[​IMG]</label><label for="rb_iconid_14">[​IMG]</label> Trailer doesn't look like the junk the scrapers around here use for a trailer.
    Looks like a nice trailer for a nice car

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Man.. I hope plenty of these Yoders are still around when I hit it big time.

9. Good to hear......

10. k9racer

k9racer

About 3 times a week mid morning I position my self at a red light convience store close to the local scrap yard.................................... I have purchased several cars and parts before they get in line. I never low ball I give a far better price than scrap will bring........................................ Example a complete 61 buick rust bucket scrap price around 500 I offered 700 and I got it delivered. Large quainty of industral shelving. I was able to buy 1/2 as the driver had to show the boss a slip for the scrap sale. he made a ez 300 his self................................................. other cars purchased or saved 64 chevy truck 500,57 plymouth 250 , a a 48 chevy less running gear 400, 68 nova body for 240 ,a few very junky motorcycles{honda and Kawasaki 500 triple H1} .................several straight axles, some power glide transmissions and the list goes on. CASH talks always have some avaiable. I have made profit on every thing I have purchased. The scrap yard owner has threatened to bar me if I make any purchases on his lot. I respect his wishes.

11. BCR

BCR

Congrats on the purchase of your hammer motobilt!

12. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sad to see the Yoder go, but wouldn't an English wheel be better suited for the things we fab? Bob

14. WILLY-BILL

WILLY-BILL

It's SIMPLE as to WHY! He's probably BROKE like many of us & it might be a WORN out piece of JUNK!:eek: Now if it was a gas welding setup, I'd really get EXCITED!!:D Bill W.

15. deto

deto

If it was truly headed for scrap that's a shame...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

Ya I'm not so sure this isn't Bull Shit. The guys got a nice car trailer, so if he is a car guy you would think he would know better, and a double header too! I don't believe it.

17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Major shame. We all have access to a shop with an 8" concrete floor, rigging equipment, 3ph power, fork lifts, we all have 100s upon hundreds of fab jobs big enough to justify ownership, we all know how to use it, shit my alarm clock just went off. Time to WAKE UP!!!!!!

Not to mention the whole story smells like sour owl shit...

18. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I call BS; New truck and trailer coming OUT of the scrap yard-not your typical scrapper's rig.

I somewhat cringe at the rigging. The nylon straps are mainly holding the machine fore/aft. If that top heavy bad boy starts to lean on a left or right turn, nothing will stop it. The Yoder will slide through the straps as they're only slid through the machine rather than attached to it.

Badd-ass machine.

19. oj

oj

Stuff like that gets scrapped all the time, go to GovernmentLiquidators.com and put in a bid.
    The navy etc scrap machinery, huge mills & lathes etc and the odd part is that they set it outside in a laydown yard for about a year before it goes up to auction, so you can get a great mill but you have to restore it - cnc stuff is just sitting outside.

20. Looks like someone is eating at Sizzler tonight

21. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

Lucky guy, thats quite a score.

22. :cool:I used to work at the local recyclers. I drove truck and was the mechanic. I was constantly buying the good stuff. I spent half of my pay. the owner let me buy anything for 20% more than he paid. Now Ive come to realize the only people who want the so called good stuff dont have any money. folks with real money wouldnt have it. Ive been hauling the junk I bought 25 years ago back to where I got it. I sold a load of appliances for $492 last week. Most of what Ive hauled off so far was worthless. However after the first of the year I going to start hauling lots of better stuff. Im not working and the money is pretty good. The scrap man told me now he spends $5000 to $10000 per day just buying. He cant let anything set it has to be moved quickly to keep the cash flowing. They have this shredder on site. it shredds whole cars ,appliances ect and makes compact bales all in one operation. it also seperates the materials to a certian degree. I advertized offered to sell my 53 buick for close to scrap price. $750. lots of lookie loo time wasters, only one serious buyer. and he wanted me to get it running. fix the flat tires and deliver it a 100 miles. I can hook the boom truck to it and put it on my gooseneck trailer along with another car haul it 20 miles and get $240 per ton. Good or bad Right or wrong it just the way things are. OldWolf

Attached Files:

23. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Sadly, I have taken some decent stuff to the scrap dealer, but mostly it is people wanting to trade some boat,dog, or motorcycle (with no title) that cause me to load it on the trailer. My partner is right, he says "They (scrap yard) are always open, and always pay cash"
    nice score on the Yoder by the way! I had to scrap a 'wheelabrator' as it was too big for my shop:(.
    once you get used to having one of those for cleaning parts you are spoiled.:eek:

24. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

a 90 series Yoder double header 20-30K worn out, doubt if it would have been scrapped like that, it would have been broken down to cast and steel, ya get more that way. A buddy is building a double headed Yoder 90 clone, he will have 10K in materials easy. I don't know what he paid for the castings of the clutch and other parts.
    You can shrink a little in an English wheel, in a power hammer you can shrink like a mad man!!!!!

25. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

We just scrapped a large dozer at work.
    The scrap yard only required all the oils to be drained the best we could. There was no breaking down or separating required.
    Sure we could have got more if we did &#8230;.. But we still got over 10 grand for the lump.

26. JaggedEdge

JaggedEdge

I think if that machine was going IN instead of going out... that is a cryin shame.
    Along the line of previous posts... what really pisses me off... is the local guy who has a 59 short fleet chev. for sale for 800$. I go check it out and offer 500$. Nope gotta have the 8. Left my name and number in case he changed his mind. Two weeks later I stop by and ask about the 59. "Sold it to the scrapper... needed the money." Got 300$. Why didn't you call me, bitch??? Your freakin' pride lost you two hundred bucks. Guy just laughs, and says "yeah, but you lost a nice project truck over three hundred bucks". What a dumbass. Made me want to punch him in the nose.
    Why do people do that?? Someone makes a reasonable offer, and it offends them, and they think selling it for scrap for half what I offer is teaching ME a lesson!! hahaha

27. Ive got 4 bulldozers Im seriously thinking of scrapping. Two TD 14A internationals a 1949 D4 and a Cletrac. one of the internationals did run but hasnt been started in over 10 years. OldWolf

28. slammed

slammed

It means a machine that ONCE produced an American made product, by an American is likely headed to oblivion much like the future here in the soon to be 3rd world nation. Look around you.

29. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It wasn’t as big a hassle as I thought it would be.
    Checked with the yard on what they required.
    And the best part was the thing rolled without starting it …. We just chained up the blade and rippers and pushed it on the lowbed with the loader.

30. I agree with you to a certian extent. however that old obselete machine cant be competively productive in todays workplace. your correct ONCE they once upon a time produced an american product. that day is over & gone. Take my old bulldozers they are old cable blade machines stick shift slow & cumbersome. their day has been long past. What good are they doing settin? My children dont want them. Im past 60 im never gonna use them again. Just as well turn them into cash.