Register now to get rid of these ads!

'53 Chevy 2 dr Sedan: First build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by andy.sawyer, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I don't know if I believe this "first build" story your selling.. Awesome job bro. Keep on the updates!

2. 41will

41will
    from Hanover PA

Car loooks gooooooooooooooooood!

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Coool

4. KenCrete

KenCrete
    from Milwaukee

Dude.....WOW! Cant wait to see more!

5. Drivinford

Drivinford

Wow i love 50 buicks. Where did u find that one sonny

6. StayGold54

StayGold54

PSHHH!! Dude....super nice work man!! Thanks for taking the time to post pics bro! Seriously, I love it when i get an email alert that there has been an update to this thread. Keep it up man!

7. Luke4554

Luke4554

Awesome .. thanks for the pictures .. I may hit you up on some questions soon .. im about to redo a bunch of floor sheetmetal.

Luke

8. andy.sawyer

andy.sawyer

Sounds good Luke.

9. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

props on this build

10. LeftCoastCruiser

LeftCoastCruiser
    from So Cal

Looking great man! Very inspiring.

11. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

12. andy.sawyer

andy.sawyer

Thanks a lot guys. Sorry I haven't updated lately. Progress has been slow at best. Currently sidetracked by another project, I am hoping to get back on this within the next few weeks...I hope

13. ph8ed4life

ph8ed4life
    from AZ

Damn, looking good!

Although, you have to admit that, with that perfectly low stance, with the front clip bolted on the roofline looks waaaaayy tall! Time for a chop, bring that lid down!!!

14. man, that work on the 53 looks great, i need to pick up the quality of work on my project... And love your new "driver " love the straight8.

15. andy.sawyer

andy.sawyer

thanks guys. Yes the top is getting chopped eventually. Already have the '50 ford rear window. Just a matter of time.

16. andy.sawyer

andy.sawyer

Well, I got the itch tonight and got back on the '53. I decided to pull out the small block chevy in favor of something a little different. I picked up a 401 nailhead with an sp400 transmission at a local swap meet a few months ago. After having a machine shop check the block I was ready to throw it in. It's a little snug but I think its gonna work out good. Luckily I did not have to modify anything other than motor mounts to make it work. I'm really excited about this thing! Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

17. Drivinford

Drivinford

Looks good man.

18. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

That nail head will rip your tires clean off!!!

19. andy.sawyer

andy.sawyer

yeah old soul, thats what i'm hoping for! It should be a lot of fun. I'm thinking I may have to get a beefier rear end to handle all that torque!

20. rat nasty

rat nasty

glad i found your build thread just started on my 53' and i like what you got going on! good choice on the 401 buford I'm going 394 olds with mine anything is better than seeing a sbc belly button...keep it up and you'll be drivin it in no time!

21. Love what you are doing and running the nailhead is great. I have a 54 that I am working on and I am keeping the 6 cylinder in mine. Got a few other minor changes in the works. Keep up the good work.
    Later,
    Dick

22. andy.sawyer

andy.sawyer

yeah rat nasty i'd take a 394 olds in a heartbeat too! Thanks a lot

23. andy.sawyer

andy.sawyer

Thanks a lot road kill.

24. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

NAILHEAD! SWEEET! I wanted to run some bizarre engine/trans combo, but for 1 I don't have the kinda cash to plop down and rebuild a weird, hard to find parts for motor, and
    2, I do plan on driving the thing, so if it breaks down in some BFE town, I could go to any random farmer and find the parts anywhere.

But I give you mad love for doing something way out of the ordinary!

25. chaddilac

chaddilac

Hey Andy... Looking at the rear crossmember where the Arms attach... looks like you replaced a body mount with the crossmember? Is that correct? I'm just curious how long the arms are and where they mount. I'm making my own arms for my 51 coupe. I like your setup!

26. andy.sawyer

andy.sawyer

Thanks guys. Yes I had to remove one body mount tab on each frame rail to put in the trailing arm crossmember. I'm not really sure on the length of the arms, I will have to measure them. Are you wondering how they mount to the rearend?

27. n847

n847

Man thats a nice build...i like that dash...and you gotta love the nail head!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

28. chaddilac

chaddilac

No I was just trying to figure out how far forward they were mounted. That will give me a length in of itself! Thanks!! Bout to start a 51 coupe project and I'm grabbing a bare frame so I can get everything setup before I move the body over. I doing a two link also, So I'm looking and researching everything I can find on it!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. cheezwiz

cheezwiz

Hey Andy, just an observation....I noticed you lost the firewall to frame mounts.... I tried that years ago and learned the car will flex there alot more than you'd realize. You may want to consider fabbing up some more attractive replacement mounts that won't be seen. I did it to my 54, and like someone else said, I have pics.....on my phone ! Anyway, the car looks great ! Carry on !

30. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

Looking real nice