Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. Super Cushions are also the only tires I've found in a 4 1/2 inch whitewall.

Attached Files:

2. This thread is about details and details are what makes a car or brakes it ,in my opinion.Plenty of people get close but a couple little things can throw it off.I agree with most of this thread,years are a little narrow but for the most part I love this thread.I think it is the only place to go for guys who really breath this stuff.

There are plenty of other threads to read on this board.Or add something that is relevant to this thread.

3. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a horrible photoshop of my car with a "real man's whitewall".
    Notice how much a wider whitewall enhances the car and nails in the era
    Cant wait to get my new tires on....

4. fleet-master

fleet-master

streamliner..your car is the nuts...I mean ..its the tits!...I mean..its the dog's bollocks!! I'm gona copy it...I love the stance!!

5. Aaron, the stance of your car is perfect...can't wait to see that one finished.

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Jeff, I have to tip my hat to you and the handful of guys on this thread that take this stuff seriously, and as you put it; "breathe this stuff". You guys rock. Seeing your cars brings smiles to more faces than you realize. Some of us actually do get it, even if the stuff we drive strays pretty far from being traditional. Good on ya ... :)

7. Very well put!!

8. EXACTLY! Just the way I feel about things as well. Thanks for saying it Ed.

Dave

9. Thanks for that Ed,I always respect what you have to say.Sorry about the wrong spelling of( breathe),it was late and I was tired.:) I do understand that some people do get, it even if there cars are not what this thread is about.I love so many different types of cars so I can appreciate most styles.With this Merc I was really detail about certain stuff and I do admit,it hasn't been easy and that is why I appreciate comments like yours.

I doubt my next one will be this period correct......who knows though.

Thanks again Ed and others who do notice this detailed stuff.

10. jfrolka

jfrolka

Man there is a lot of ego stroking going on here. LOL

Jeff, the details on your merc is what makes it so much nicer than the rest. Some don't notice these period kustoms at all or seem to care and its a damn shame.

I just sold my 51 merc, and unfortunately it is being built a lot differently than I had planned. When I sold it even the older gentleman didnt seem to understand why I was running a rebuilt original slammed suspension, the stock 3 speed od trans, manual steering box on a chopped merc.... it just totally escaped him.

I will forever strive to build a kustom the way you did with that merc. It doesnt get any better and it just represents respect in a cool kustom sled way.

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Chris, I've said it before but I freakin' love your 41.

Post a picture of the front, the 112's and flipper caps are to die for.

12. Those Skirts.....

13. Thanks a lot! I don't really know what I'm doing, but sure know the look I'm after, so the compliments mean a lot. Here's a shot from earlier this spring. I think one more inch will serve the car well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Leadsled52

Leadsled52

those are'nt cruiser skirts, they are jimmy jones bubble skirts- and he was already making them in 52.

15. Chris ... you know how I feel about your car but im finally seeing these pictures on a computer instead of my little screen on my phone.They look even better when larger.Early Wally Welch right here,be careful im sure he only started out wanting to do a couple of things as well.;)Like I have said before....car looks great and your plan and focus seem to be right on point.

16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

COOL, but for the most part--bubble skirts don`t exactly fit the 48-52 build style. That trend didn`t really take effect and become popular until later on.

17. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

I've polished off a bottle of merlot whilst reading this complete thread (hic) !

I realise my '48 mild kustom needs a re-vamp !

like 'Tiki' ? view www.tikipaulo.co.uk

Attached Files:

18. 48bufordsled

48bufordsled
    from u.k.

i bought 6 of these last year from white wall candy store in orange ca.............there great !

Paul

19. jfrolka

jfrolka

Alright gentlemen, I recently sold the merc and got a 48 ford . Here is the idea:

Its an f3 so the fender openings are huge, gonna work with the huge opening and radius out the opening to compliment the tire.

The running boards are beat to shit, no problem... gonna leave them off. Can possibly shave the fenders bottoms off and give it a look as if it were sectioned.

Did some research on whitewalls and got some 4" general's

Here is my photo cut up, black marker out and tape it back up ideas

Oh and its temporarily going on another chassis to pull this off.. no bags, still on springs.

Goal is a early 50's kustom, Ca 47 plates, bumpers or nerf bars?, radius wheel openings, no running boards. No chop. Keeping all the trim pieces.

[​IMG]

20. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

When reading, I was like, wait, it's not sectioned? So yes, it would work very well :D

21. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Early 50s kustom? Plymouth ribbed bumpers, level stance (for a truck), dual appletons, caddy sombreros, shave some trim...

I think it could be cool, dont see enough early styled trucks.

22. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

PS, is the truck you're starting with as nice as the one in the picture? Is that your truck?

23. jfrolka

jfrolka

No its not mine, I used a painted version to get a better view.

Mine is original faded and abused green.

Here is something in the neighborhood of early kustom for a ford truck

[​IMG]

24. How popular are Plymouth's in the custom world? I know the bumpers are sought after, but what about as a whole car? I found this one today, very strait and original paint. Interior is very decent but needs a top. Motor is stuck and out, but thats no biggy. He has all the parts for it. I think it is a decent deal if a guy wanted one. Lowered, spots, full wheel covers, skirts...? Did these things get used much for customs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. How popular are Plymouth's in the custom world? I know the bumpers are sought after, but what about as a whole car? I found this one today, very strait and original paint. Interior is very decent but needs a top. Motor is stuck and out, but thats no biggy. He has all the parts for it. I think it is a decent deal if a guy wanted one. Lowered, spots, full wheel covers, skirts...? Did these things get used much for customs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. jfrolka

jfrolka

I havent seen very many online at all when i looked once.

The convertible is definetly the better looking, still not sought after.

That plymouth looks like it could be a really sweet little ride with skirts, whites and caps. I like it a lot. You should give it a shot, it looks pretty complete.

27. Nice find Chris! And to be able to start with another convertible! I know your vision will be different than mine, but just pretending the car was mine I would:

Carson-style top (mild chop or not), pull the bumpers in a wee bit, remove the side fender trim and gravel guards, use Lincoln door push buttons, eliminate the tail lights and re-locate as bullets on the gravel pan, shave the nose and deck and give it an nice midnight blue paint job. Mmmm, nobody wake me.. ;)

Oh, a nice subtle speed boat stance and wide whites (skirts optional).

Best of luck with your next (?) custom!

Dave

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  28. Chris...I think that car is very cool and be transformed into a real good looking custom.If the price isn't to painful.....why not.I happen to love Plymouths.

29. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'd say that Plymouths weren't at all common subjects for customizing, but they were done and there were some nice ones. I remember an early '50s Plymouth convertible, I thought by Valley Custom, that was a pale color (yellow, maybe?). It was featured in one of the early little books, probably Hop Up, but I couldn't find a picture on Rikster's web page. I'll look harder later today.

I think the car could be very good looking if done with care.

30. Skirv

Skirv

Do any of the historians or students of customs think the Hirohata Mercury was instrumental in the transition from this early style of custom? It was modified in 1952 but it was just....different. I understand the progression of customs based on show points for modifications but it seems that after the Hirohata, things started to change.