Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 Truck wheels not centered in fender?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drunkenstein, Jul 3, 2012.

1. drunkenstein

drunkenstein
    from Jackson TN

The front wheels on my 36' truck are not centered in the fender. I believe this was to add room for the spare tire. Anyone have experience with this? I moved everything forward an inch. Attached is a photo of before I moved everything.

Attached Files:

2. Ole don

Ole don

A buddy once told me if I ever have to do a complete front suspension, tack it in, put on all the body work, and back it out. Walk across the street and look at it from a distance. It seemed like good advice.

3. Have you changed anything on the frame? Mll suspension? Original tire wheel combo might make a difference in how it looks. Looks like the front is real high now.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see any shackles mounted to the front spring Shackle hole so I take it that the truck has an independent front end of some sort under it.

Did the person who installed the front end use the correct front shackle mounting hole center to center line of spindle measurement?

If it still has leaf springs is one end of the leaf a bit longer than the other?

5. Ha I just noticed that it is not a ford, I didn't look that close the first couple of times that I opened the thread.

If you look close it does look like there is a strut rod behind the wheel like an independent would have. If it is already welded up probably the best thing is to leave it and tell everyone it is an altered wheel base truck.

A lot of old cars and trucks did not have the wheels centered in the front fenders. Hell even the '56 ford was not centered for some reason. It was never really an issue until people started building show rods and needed the points. If it was my truck and it really bothered me I would move thigs around, but if it didn't really bother me I would leave it knowing that a lot of older vehicles didn't have the wheels centered anyway.

6. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

If you look in his profile he has a folder showing the build.

7. drunkenstein

drunkenstein
    from Jackson TN

Sorry for the delay. My best guess is the fender is offset to give room for the spare tire on the passenger side. I'm guessing the truck was modified in the 60's or 70's as the spare tire indention has been filled up and it had a 283 motor in it when I started. I moved the cab and everything forward 1" and it looked a lot better.