Register now to get rid of these ads!

Keeping that Original Paint Barn Fresh Look

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by uglyoldcrow, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Rathbone

Rathbone

The car looks fine - and it's his car, he can do what he wants. I'm sick of old farts who say I ruined my car because it doesn't have all original parts - then drive off in their toyotas. They're happy to sit on their hands all of their lives while they ruin our democracy but want to get in my face to preserve some old car.

2. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

i feel a un-painted car has the ability to show the condition of a cars body un- touched by bondo and other fillers,i feel you are getting to see the real thing in raw form dents rust thin paint factory lead ,not trying to piss off nicely finished car ,its just the thing that makes us all different

3. Gman0046

Gman0046

I like that 37 Buick just the way it is. At least you don't have to worry about road rash.

4. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

I had a couple PMs and a lot of great information I was looking for with this Post! First of all those Plymouth pictures were taken right after I pulled out of the shed it's been in since 1968. Still had the Bird and Mouse Shit all over it. It looks better now and I'll take some better pictures this weekend. A few post which I was looking for told how to keep the rust in check and not let it grow but keep it looking as she sits now. Thats what I want! You guys will wet your selfs when you see this baby done. All ready had a special invite to Car Show in March! Thanks, Jim

5. Jim the car has good lines to start with and I can't imagine there is a lot that you would do to it to screw it up. I probably won't wet myself as I am a llittle jadded and not easily excited, but I will bet that is is going to be one smooth old Rock when it is done no matter what you decide to do with it.

6. Deuces

Deuces

I ain't got no comment... :rolleyes:

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I said the same thing on a different thread posted by someone wanting to save the rust on his truck. Rust+Rust=Corrosion. Rust is bad, not good.

8. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

I was going to paint this one in the Spring!

Attached Files:

9. firingorder1

firingorder1

My Harley was so cool when I found it and therefore by connection I was so cool too I couldn't bear to remove even a single flake of rust. Ooops patina.

[​IMG]

10. slammed

slammed

These 2 last examples of SOILD rust are not even close to the OP's. Cute, and witty. And where are you when a 20" wheel or LS motor pop up?

11. Tommy R

Tommy R

Was that bike found at the bottom of the sea?? Holy crap!

12. bustingear

bustingear

I have been using wd40 on rusty plates and it has a good natural look to it.

13. most cars that are rusty actually get driven, not like the trailer queens that are too perfect to do anything with except put a fence around it at a show so people can look.

paint it leave it but most importantly drive it.

14. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks, much appreciated!
    FWIW I did a frame off rotisserie build on the car just so when I did want to paint it I didnt have to blow it all apart again. I could paint the car in a weekend if I wanted to. Once I started driving it I was having too much fun with it, paint may be in the future but no time soon, plus my 10 year old daughter loves riding in it to see people stare at it. Anything that gets her to want to hang with me is a keeper :)

15. uglyoldcrow

uglyoldcrow

NICE but I see the shifter knob is missing?

16. That ain't primer George......I'll take the 'Rudy' though..:D

17. AntiBling

AntiBling

I wouldn't worry about preserving it, just get it going and drive it. By the time it finally starts turning into an even coverage of surface rust, you'll be so sick of people calling it a sweet rat rod and you'll want paint.

If I had a body that clean that I didn't have to fix rust on, hell yeah I would concentrate on getting it running and drive it for a year or two before I painted it.

18. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

I have the same "patina" on my car.........(getting it painted)

Attached Files:

19. slammed

slammed

How to preserve the remaining paint, not should or would you paint it. Some of you just can not understand a simple basic tech question. Slide right off topic or outright smart asinine.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Wimpy boyz"? "Asinine"? Easy there. As set forth by the founder, this is a traditional forum. Rust is not traditionally the finish of choice. Naturally, something's gonna be said.

21. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I would leave it as it is. The car is original. Why would you want to make it something it isnt? It looks much better than all the so call "traditional" flat black cars. And when was the last time you opened a mag and saw a "traditional" car in primer....and then later saw it painted? NEVER. So much for the "primered until painted" theory. New shiney paint is not traditional..sorry folks. New shiney paint is FAKE. As fake as a 350 crate engine. Or a T-5. A 50-60 year old car is not going to disintegrate overnight from not being painted.

22. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Looks great just the way it is. Patina has character.

23. slammed

slammed

Yes, rusty metal has been a part of the scene since day one. The OP needed to know ways of preserving what is left. Not should I paint it, or what would you do.

24. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

What if all this effort expended to all do the same thing was put towards thinking of an original idea.

25. moefuzz

moefuzz

"Patina" is a very gay word. You should avoid using it almost as much as using WD-40 or a 350 engine.
    -Just don't do it.

26. budd

budd

i would start with CLR and scotch bright, then some black wax, it's not about patina it's about making it look the best you can before it's painted, $10,000 for a paint job or $20 for some CLR and wax?

27. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

28. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Aussies to the rescue - again :)

Lanotec. Last I heard it is being imported into California as a cable pulling compound.
    I presume you want it over there before it is shipped???
    Otherwise it is made in Queensland.
    Good Stuff.

29. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

I suppose you could always park it back in the barn under the chickens at night.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, ok...lol. Whatever you say. :rolleyes: