Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Firepig, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firepig

Firepig

I had someone try to scam me out of $350 from a wanted ad I have here on the HAMB. Several flags; I am looking for a 35-36 Ford truck grille, and he said that he has a 35-36 Ford grille (which one?), coincidentally in the exact condition and verbage I used. Signed the email with a name and CA, USA. (another flag). He couldn't give me a HAMB user name (he's a "visitor") and of course the clincher was to wire him the money.

Be careful!

2. Yeah,the scammers peruse the Hamb,,don't do business with anyone that hasn't been around for a while. HRP

3. PS,,,Visitors can not post....

4. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

His email is in the ad post

5. slammed

slammed

Throw down his email addy.

6. Firepig

Firepig

Yep. I won't do that again!

7. Firepig

Firepig

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

bet if you wrote to kris33900, he's just a regular guy that has had his email address stolen or co-opted

9. Firepig

Firepig

I'm not sure how that works, but we've had several back and forth email conversations.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hope that you have contacted Ryan

11. Gmail emails are what most of the craigslist scammers use.

12. carmuts

carmuts

When I got my new i-phone at Verizon I was given a G-mail account. With all of the bad publicity like that no wonder I don't use it. A friend helped me to set up a notification prompt from my regular e-mail to alert me when I had a new PM for the HAMB or Fordbarn. Problem is it showed me always logged in to both. I am not sure how or why so I quit using it until he has time to resolve that. Good to have techy friends once in awhile until they set up something that you don't know how to maintain. Rod

13. Have a little fun... Tell him a check is on it's way, you just need an address. Then clean up the dog poop from the yard, into a ziplock bag (maybe double bagged) seal tight, manilla envelope. done.

14. Dan, although I am on the same page and dig your sense of humour, that stunt also might get you in BIG legal trouble. Maybe even a Felony.

The BEST plan of action here is to report it to Ryan, TR

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Tell him to send it to you. If it looks ok you will wire him the money.

16. He could be a regular US citizen who is just that illterate.......its very common.

In doing internet sales/purchasing,I have encountered many such exchanges from folks that ended up being just their inability to communicate well....

As to gmail addresses,when offered that I didnt use my free one cause I had always had a better server for emails..
    It costs about 40 a year but it has a simple short suffix I can remember and it has very good security features as well plus large storage for emails ,if you are using yours in a business.

17. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

Having a gmail account has nothing to do with the scammer alert trail.I agree with the the guy on sending the dog poop in the post,would prob get you in trouble.

18. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

How about rubber dog shit, is that felonious?

19. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

That's the way i do it send the part 1st ..Then the money done over 15 sells that way and they all worked out......

20. As long as you don't sprinkle any white powder on the fake poop, I think you'll be OK.

My dogs pee blue, do you think it's time I give them a actual water bowl and close the lid on the toilet?

21. lawman

lawman

Thanks for the info !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.