Register now to get rid of these ads!

do supremes work with wide whites??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpeedRacer2002, Nov 30, 2012.

1. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

cant picture it in my head 15" bias ply G78 2 3/4 white with a supreme on a 64 caddy? anyone have any pics of this tire wheel combo?

2. It's been done and I'm not a big fan of the look but then again I ain't cool! :D HRP

3. Special Ed

Special Ed

Don't do it. Different eras. Five spoke wheels were around from the early/mid sixties. Wide whites were finished by 1961.
    Wide whites on "mags" don't work ...

4. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

what the hell are you guys smoking??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

thanks Surface Rust that confirmed it the caddy is gettin supremes!!!! i really want some 72 cross lace daytons or 30 spoke cragars but damn!! $$$$$$

6. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Hmm ... I think the Riviera looks great ... But I think the other two cars look goofy. I think the chrome has a lot to do with that. Just my opinion.

7. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Notice the only two actual back in the day picks surface rust posted were competition cars? IMHO wide whites on mags looks stupid. Sure there are plenty of folks who do it today, and a small handful who did it back then, but in the early 90's plenty of folks had mullets and you wouldn't point to them and say,"I always knew mullets were cool".

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. Gator

Gator

Pinner whites would work way better.

[​IMG]

Also wouldn't hurt to do a search, there are several Astro Supreme threads going.

droppedstepside likes this.
  9. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

+1 .

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wide whites with astros are great if you are a pimp. if you buy the tires and wheels at the same time you get a purple velvet hat with a feather in it for free.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't believe there is enough money to pay me to put wide whites on supremes... the narrows would fit the era much more appropriately. I hate history being rewritten on late model pictures and goofy vintage one off shots that surface every now and then. All you have to do is pick up a magazine from '64 and see for yourself what was cool back then.

13. I guess that's whats great about old cars,,we don't all like the same thing. HRP

14. Last one I saw with that combo was owned by a pedophile

15. dad-bud

dad-bud

I'm with S Mazza - the Riv looks cool, and it quite probably is the chrome.
    Mind you though, I'm a sucker for wide whites on stock wheels/ hubcaps on anything slammed and chromed.
    That's traditionaler!
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

16. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

This is what was cool back in 1964. ask me how I know hell I was there

Attached Files:

17. Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Chuck-A-Burger Ryan

Wide whites on supremes make the car look confused on what era it should be in. Therefore I think it looks terrible.

Skinny whites on supremes for the win.

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It is an age thing. If you were buying mag wheels in the
    early to mid sixties, you would be laughed at with white walls of any kind. I understand that styles have changed but for most of us old farts mags and whitewalls don't mix. If you lived my life, you would feel the same way. All the young guys may like the look but it makes me cringe. This comes up often and I'm adamant about whitewalls and mag wheels. Some will point to show car pictures in the little books. Sorry but we did not drive those cars on the street in the 60s They were show cars. You saved up for the mags and turned your whitewalls around when you put them on your new wheels. For me there is no option.

19. Are you sure on this one? I'll have to ask one of my bitches.

belair likes this.
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I agree with you almost 100%, but look at the Watson thread going here on the H.A.M.B. and you'll see that the more custom leaning cars of the era did go a bit more to the narrow white look. Thing is, other than in that particular geographic area, there didn't seem to be many customs around!

21. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

I guess I need to go out and get some fresh air. I saw the title and thought you talking about a concert featuring Diana Ross and Meatloaf.

22. Another white walls and mags don't mix. Just don't seem right

23. Muttley

Muttley

Please do it and post lots of pictures, it's been a while since we had something new to make fun of.

24. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    droppedstepside likes this.
  25. How about some Centerlines with wide whites?

26. Special Ed

Special Ed

"Well since "Supremes" didn't really come out until mid '64, you probably won't see many pics from '65 or earlier with supremes period.. Since the question is do they work, IMHO they do, on the right car.. (Thanx Surface Rust for posting my Riv..) If the OP means are they traditional, that's a can of worms.. They were both available at the time, so it's not like we're talking billet.. Talking to my father and his friends, there is a lot of this "traditional" thing that you rarely saw back in the day, but I'll stay on topic...

I've really been surprised at the overwhelmingly positive feedback I've gotten about my setup from "traditional" fans. I'm a huge fan of traditional rods and customs too, and www's were definitely a less common back in the 60's, but that is kinda the whole point of a custom- being different. And they are just tires, in a few years you'll need new ones anyway.. It's not like you're getting married, just dating.. If you love 'em too, get 'em, if you're going to get tires to just to please others on a forum, your doing it for the wrong reason.."

Hmmmmm.... I don't remember wide-whites still being available (new) back in 1965. I'm not calling you out, merely wondering if my memory is that poor. Do you have first hand knowledge of their availability at that time? Who was still making them? I thought they were as extinct as dinosaurs by then ... :confused:

Barn Hunter likes this.
  27. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I look at the white walls on that Riviera I don't see really wide whites, but more medium wide whites. If there is an equal amount of black and white showing on the sidewall it is different than W I D E white walls where the white dominates the whole sidewall. The ones on the Riv look great IMO, but anything wider would be Gansta.

Don

28. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

had polished torque thrust on my 59 they looked good

Attached Files:

droppedstepside and belair like this.
  29. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Special Ed, I wasn't calling you out either, it's just a fun debate... I wasn't around in '65 so if you where I respect your perspective on who (if anyone) was producing them.. But I believe they were, based on my father's (and other's) photos from that time (Autorama) and the fact he ran them on his shoebox in the '60s. My point was they were both made before '65 and if you wanted to run them, you could, they didn't disappear ... Either way, I imagine there were a lot of things people ran on their cars that wasn't still available new at the time, I wouldn't think that would make it less "traditional" JMO.... But I do get your point, it wasn't the popular route..

30. 52HardTop

52HardTop

I think the Supremes' look right with the pinners. They do look good with the wides but are the correct? Heck it's all what you like I guess.
    Dom

[​IMG]