Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Ford Thunderbolts Photos Wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Troublemaker427, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Rick Hearn's '64 T-Bolt... :)

[​IMG]

2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

WOW,is that cool!

3. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

You know, there's a lot of guys on this thread who have a better scan of this pic and many others. What they think they gain by not sharing is beyond most of us. Can't think of a more selfish act of ommission myself.

Len

Attached Files:

4. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Anyone else notice the max wedge hood scoop along with the hemi single headlights grille on the Color Me Gone car?

5. spiertb

spiertb

Has anyone ever found any pics of the Jim Sanders, Hippodrome, Wake Forest, Winkler, Dick Walters, or Paradise T-Bolts as they appeared in '64?? Syl

6. Subscribing.

What are typical raceweights for Thunderbolts?

7. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

8. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

As the above photo shows, the morphing had already started at this point on the "Whuppet" Thunderbolt and it only got worse as time progressed.

9. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

It did not take long for the "Whuppett" Thunderbolt to be turned from this Super Stocker....

[​IMG]

into this match race piece.
    [​IMG]

10. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Whuppett and Austins T-Bolt were wicked looking as match racers. It is a shame they got cut up so bad though. Whuppett ended up parted out and scrapped.

11. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

It did not take Emmitt Austin very long to do the same thing to the Thunderbolt from Cuthbert Motor Co.

Before...
    [​IMG]

After...
    [​IMG]

12. Race Artist

Race Artist

Actually as I understand and remember it ... Emmett ran the T-Bolt in pretty much stock configuration for almost two seasons before altering it for the late '65-early '66 season.
    Joel

13. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

One down five to go!

Len

Attached Files:

14. spiertb

spiertb

Thanks, Len. Syl

15. LennyFreebern

LennyFreebern

Pete Glassco was Donati's brother-in-law. It was he that crashed the car at Richmond and then rebuilt it with a straight front axle with the shock towers removed. Donati never went to Nam but instead served his time in the US until he mustered out. By the time he returned home his brother had sold the car to an unrecollected person. He mentioned that the car became the 'beachcomber' car which in the past I thought might have been the old King Ford car.

Len King Ford tbolt beachcomber Virginia tbolt when owned by Jack Croteau.jpg

16. tbolt64804

tbolt64804

Len, when did you talk to Jimmy Donati ? When i talked to him, the info he gave me is somewhat different from what you have posted. Donati bros. and Glassco got the car from Bob Balderson. It was painted yellow with no lettering when it was wrecked at Richmond in early 1966. I have movie film of this and i,ve posted on youtube. Regards Jim

17. On April 27th, 2013 (4/27) we will hold the first annual "FE Race & Reunion" at Beaver Springs Dragway in Beaver Springs, PA. This is an event celebrating the Ford FE Big block. It's a low key, high fun event. Track owner Beaver Bob of Beaver Springs is giving us the track for the entire day. An IHRA 1/4 mile drag strip at our disposal. We will have racing, TNT and a car show/cruise. There will be 2 FE race classes. Hot FE 12.99 - under and Cool FE 13.00 and up, bracket style. Beaver Bob is supplying trophies to both classes. Racing fee will be $40. When not racing we'll be testing and tuning so if you don't want to competitively race you can just have fun and make passes at your own pace all day long. All FE powered show cars are admitted free and eligible for an award by Beaver Bob. All spectators are free as well. I am trying to set up some good match races from some top FE racers. What else could you ask for? A drag strip with only FE powered cars. Beaver Bob has told me, he's not worried about the numbers but I think it would be in our best interest to support a track that is willing to do this for us. For everyone involved we hope it pans out to be an annual affair. So if you ever wanted to see what your FE can do in the quarter mile head out to Beaver Springs Dragway for the "FE Race & Reunion" on April 27, 2013 10AM-4PM.

We have everything covered for a successful show but it would make it nicer if we had some door prizes or prizes for the class winners. Parts, apparel, books, etc... all would be great. So if you are a shop owner or FE vendor and want to get some recognition (i.e. advertising time) won't you consider sponsoring some items or donating them?

The event flyer is at http://www.fairlanet.com/fe mark your calendars as we hope to see many of you FE aficionado's head North to Beaver Springs Dragway. We're 5 months away and will keep you all posted and reminders will be often. You may see posts on other sites as well and don't forget to tell your FE friends.

I hope I covered it all. If you have any questions you can email Doug or me (see flyer).

The Ford Big block FE engine was produced from 1958 until 1976. Sizes in cubic inch include 332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410 427 & 428. If you’ve got one in a running vehicle bring it out to Beaver Springs Dragway on April 27, 2013.

Go to www.beaversprings.com and click on the schedule link. For those looking for something to do on Sunday, Beaver has their weekly Summit ET series racing.

We also have a Facebook group established to keep up with information about the event. To join click here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/422744294447955/
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

18. Just to let you all know, Spring Carlisle is also this weekend. Beaver Springs is not that far from Carlisle (a little over an hour away). All of you guys from out of town can come in for Spring Carlisle Thursday and Friday which actually are the two best days then Beaver Springs on Saturday. Then you have all day Sunday for your trip home!! Make a FE weekend out of it!!

19. flattrack53

flattrack53

20. noboD

noboD

Mine just came today, was just about to retire to the couch and read it.

21. flattrack53

flattrack53

The two guys that shot both the cars sent me the email with the picture. Looks like all of my PA friends got it yesterday. Mine showed up today but I am still at work :(

22. noboD

noboD

The Hemmings magazines started out kind of rough, but they are some of my favs now. They've come a long way. There's two of my favorite Ford on that cover!

23. flattrack53

flattrack53

The cool part was when my dad pulled the thunderbolt out of the garage, he looked over at Bud and said "Do you want to drive it?" Bud responds with "I don't know if thats a good idea, I only know one way to drive this car!"

24. Congrats on the Hemmings article and cover. Got mine today. Hope you guys can make it to Beaver Springs on 4-27-13!!

25. flattrack53

flattrack53

Thanks! I hope you enjoyed the article. It was great to have Tommy and Bud out to the house even though they both only live about 10 minutes away. Moving the cars around to different spots trying to get different angles on those photos, we refilled Tommy's tank 6 times :)

26. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Time to bump this thread up to the top again. Anyone got old Thunderbolt photos laying around that they want to share with the world?

27. Race Artist

Race Artist

Not sure if I posted this one before ... but here goes anyway ...
    The King Ford car vs Dick Brannan's Falcon running in the A/FX class at the Cecil Co. MD Regional meet mid-May 1964.
    Joel

Attached Files:

28. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

While the picture may have been posted before, I never noticed how huge the crowd in the background was watching the run. Dragracing was very popular in the mid '60's. A lot of spectator interest was generated due to the involvement of the factories with their purpose built racecars.

29. the fletch

the fletch

jim,i never saw the balderson /donati n glassco run that it wasnt white. im pretty sure its the jack croteau car---where ever that is.

30. spiertb

spiertb

John; I was sure someone would have answered your question by now--Here's what I know. The NHRA classification guide listed the T-Bolt with a factor of 7.13, multiply that by 425 and you get 3030#-but I think that is TOO light. I don't have a '64 NHRA rulebook but I sort of remember a 3200# minimum for S/S. I've read of T-Bolts weighing 3205# or 3220#. Hopefully someone who knows more will comment. Syl

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012