Register now to get rid of these ads!

What in your opinion is the best sounding powerplant?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

2. Ramblur

Ramblur

3. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Blown fuel Chrysler. JC

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

How about a 2 liter pinto with a zoomy at the bubble X speedway whoopin Carl Edwards sir ass back in the mid 80s

5. When I was a kid, the Confederate Air Force was based in Harlingen, TX and during their annual air show, they'd have P-51 races that flew directly over our house (about 6 miles from the airport).

We'd sit on the roof of our house in Rio Hondo and watch the spectacle.

I've heard lots of sweet flatheads and many great sounding y-blocks, but I've NEVER EVER heard anything like the sound of several Rolls Royce Merlins and Allisons going flat out, several hundred feet above my head. It still gives me the chills thinking about it.

6. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

I would have to agree that the blown 392 Hemi rails back in the day were
    awesome but.................
    When Big Al made a pass in the '34 v-12 Allison , man that was it.
    Nice to see its been restored.

Attached Files:

7. Never got to see that one make a pass, I wish I had.

8. being a Hot Rodder in Southern California in the 50's we learned to sounds of different engines. when street racing and sleepers ruled. it paid to know the sounds of your opponent.
    I still have those sounds going thru my head. Posers would idle thru the local drive in with a leaky exhaust and the Choke pulled half way out. we would just laugh.

In 1957 had a friend with a full race merc flat motor with 4 carbs in a custom 50 ford. it was the last year the flat head could stay with detroit cars. running a stock Buick, Olds, Cad, in an early ford could run with most at a stop light drag. and they all had their own sound.

the sound I miss is the High Compression crisp rap. any engine with 12 to1 or more still wins the best sounds made.

I ran a 374 Packard in a 51 Olds that had 13 1/2 to 1 with a Isky 505 roller cam and dual quads. that was the best sound I've ever owned. I loved my Hemi's and a few Cads and Chevs but my old Olds still takes my number one spot

Attached Files:

9. BashingTin

BashingTin

10. willymakeit

willymakeit

My big block 4spd Challenger for me.
    Anything with 180 degree headers

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

cool video. he never revs it up since the fuel supply wasnt hooked up properly in this vid but still sounds sick

12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Before you crow too much, you might want to check your facts a little better- the Hardleys and Buells get to run engines that are fully 50% larger than the Suzukis- and Hardley pours a lot of money into the NHRA- what a surprise. Kinda like when Jenkins got a very favorable weight break with his small-block Vega, and the Cleveland Fords had to carry a lot more weight, and NHRA later admitted it was done to let Jenkins have an advantage and appease all the Chebbie fans at the track- check it out- you will find this line in the article below- "Recognizing that the vast number of fans drove Chevrolets, NHRA reconfigured the rules to allow cars with small-block wedge engines to run at a lighter weight break"

http://www.motorsport.com/nhra/news...kage-for-harley-davidson-and-buell-announced/

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag...-friday--pro-stock-motorcycle-racers-cry-foul

http://www.nhra.net/50th/top50/B_Jenkins08.html

13. iamben

iamben

I never said they didn't have any kind of advantage I just stated "Don't Harleys hold all of the NHRA records for drag bikes?". Back to those good sounding power plants.

14. The NHRA has always made room for their favorites. That is not the point.

The point is that no one with any shit about 'em would ride a rice rocket. The blanket statement that they are not fast and poorley engineered is just bogus. The OHV V twin has stayed basically the same since the '30s. They run a long ways and have since the beginning and even the lowley 61 inch knucklehead will run down the highway at 100 mph all day long and never skip a beat. They leak like a sieve but they run just fine.

But if it must be japenese an gainst American, in '81 Yamaha ran a V twin the same cubic inchs as Harley at San Jose. The Yamaha was a factory supported bike with all that Yamaha could throw at it. The bike that brung home the bacon was a priveteer Harley. Yamaha while they made it to the money match did not even place. I was impressed that they made it to the final round though.

Well gettin back to it if motor cycles are fare game I kind of liked the sound of the Norton Atlas. That big thumper sounded like it was hitting a lick about every 50 feet going down the highway. pathump, pathump, pathump.

A Ducatti Desmorooter sounds pretty slick as well once they get wound up. Now there is a V-twin that will fool ya if you are not ready for it. If you have never heard one you need to get around a round case Ducatti just one time.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Propaganda, by another name, is just plane 'ol BS :p They only hold records because they have been given an advantage- heads up, they would get smoked badly. Just like Jenkin's sbc Vega against the Clevelands- heads up, see ya ;)
    And those Hardley drag race engines are unobtanium, not available to the public, and very far removed from the Twinkie in your Road King
    And don't think I'm against V-twins, I have four Indians- I am just allergic to twisted and propagandized "facts"

16. And Harleys! :p

17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

How in the world did the antiquated hardley able son get involved here ? Maybe because the title said powerplant. :rolleyes:

We can hardly mention Harley and power in the same sentence, it just doesn't make sense.

And the Harley engines do not sound good, they actually sound irritatingly obnoxious.

The Harley V twin would be a great engine if they could figure out how to make it idle smoothly :D

And figure out a way to make it sound less like an old Massey Harris farm tractor.

18. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

I just sold my Ducati ST2 about six months ago, not because I didn't like it, but because it killed my back to ride it with 2 bad discs. With the carbon fiber pipes on it, it did indeed sound sweet- and Ducati's idea of a "touring"bike was very unhappy below 3500, started to run good about 4K, and laid it's ears back at 4500, and kept pulling way past 10K. Great idle- thudathump- thudathump...

19. My facts were not twisted or propagandized. I am not a big drag bike guy, but there was a time that I did enjoy dragging my foot on a flat track. Mostly Limeys for me, but I did catch a ride on a Harley in '81 and I did have the fastest top speed down the back stretch that day. I don't know if it was a record, but it was fast enough to stay ahead of the Yamaha.

The whole arguement came from a guy that made a blanket statement that is just not true, you and I both know it. A bogus blanket statement is as bad as propaganda.

If you own indians you are more excentric than I thought you were. ever owned one myself although before I went valve in head I seriously considered a super chief that I could have had cheap.

I have never owned a bagger so I guess a twinky road king is going to be out for me. I am sure that I am not really interested in owning a block head at all. It may happen because one should never say never, but if I had my druthers I would not own one.

They are sweet to say the least, you get more excentric the more I read. That is a good thing.

My big inch pan dynoed at 110. granted you can buy an out of the box rice rocket today that makes more than that but it was a 35 year old bike 30 years ago. It was riden dailey as it was all I owned and had no trouble going coast to coast when I needed two.

granted I am a good wrench and I do not have to own an out of the box machine of any type. if you don't know what you are doing I suppose a rice rocket is a good choice. :rolleyes:

How did it come up well I was pretty much stick to automobile engines, someone else brought it up, then ignorance reared its ugly head. Ignorance needs to be addressed, if I say something ignorant I would expect it of you.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  20. Deuces

Deuces

427 Ford Cammer and a chevy 302...:D:D:D

21. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Flathead thru smitties duals

22. busajack

busajack
    from wy

23. Yes indeed :cool: Anything that will rev.

24. Deuces

Deuces

Go see a doc and have your head checked out..;)

25. I think it's hilarious everytime someone comes up with the line that Harley is "antiquated". First off, this is suppose to be a "traditional" site. Well tradition is related to old and/or antique. So what's your point?

Secondly, anyone that makes a foolish statement that Harleys are antiquated, in my opinion, don't know shit! I'm not going to go into the engine and chassis refinements that have been made to their more "traditional" bikes. But those who say that Harley is antiquated must have been under that proverbial rock and missed that Harley has the V-Rod. A bike with an engine developed by Porsche and chassis that is the most state-of-the-art utilizing hydroforming.

Yep that's knowing what you're talking about, saying that Harley is "antiquated"!

26. slowmotion

slowmotion

Most anything in the old Modified/Production class. That was some sweet music right there.....:D:D:D

27. gwarren007

gwarren007

28. Truckedup

Truckedup

All well tuned,high compression engines sound good at full load and maximum RPM. Engines with a cadence,V-8's V twin Harleys, Ducatis etc. sound best at moderate throttle.

29. They are just jealous that's all there is to it.

A Harley V twin that idled any different wouldn't be built like a Vtwin Harley and therefore not a Harley. That's nothing but blind ignorance talking spiced up with unresolved bitter childhood trauma.

An American company over a century old too.

30. They sound good enough that the Japenese tried to mimic the sound. Of course the japenese bikes are better engineered, that's why there are so many '62 Hondas still on the road. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.