Register now to get rid of these ads!

roller cam conversions ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Nov 28, 2012.

1. OK, no "1800-solutions" or kits

Let's get it all in one place.
    Links to other threads, articles, rumors...

What's the combos to get it done?
    Are there any ?

Open to any engine that you may know the secrets too.

2. icsamerica

icsamerica

I've done it on early SBC...what engine are you referring to?

3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

429 / 460 roller lifters will work on a 240 / 300 Ford six.

4. Great more stuff like that.
    Maybe its common knowledge maybe it ain't.

5. Post up your recipes for what you know

6. icsamerica

icsamerica

Chevy 2.8 60 degree V6 roller lifters + Late SBC style spyder and clearanced dog bones = roller lifter early chevy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgxFIPJGY80

Here is a video on how and why I did it to a 400SBC

7. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Nailheads can use SBC roller lifters and depending on style of lifters- Hemi cross bars.
    Likely will require different length pushrods and or adjustable rockers-yes, sometimes both.

8. Cool stuff guys.
    Particulars is what makes it good

9. George

George

Early Hemis can use (Buick or Olds?) V6 roller lifters if the lifter bores are opened up a bit.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Packard V8s can use early Hemi lifters.

11. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

This a good one, and cheap too(I like that). The problem is how to get the aligning links or spiders to work. I am absolutly new to rollers but due to the changes in the oil they seem to be an out. Or would it be better on a low miles per year engine to just use flat lifters and a zink additive?

12. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Break the cam in right and use a good Zinc additive and you will be fine. Now days even the hydraulic cams have real good grinds for most applications.
    Remember, if using roller cams you need more spring pressure to avoid float and that eats HP.
    Roller cams can make up the power difference with the shape of the lobes and rise rate of the lifters/ valves.

13. George

George

Don't remember about that, think it was on the HAMB somewhere

14. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Sorry, I just call Comp Cams, I get the right parts the first time, parts that work and last together!

15. OK, no "1800-solutions" or kits

^^^In case anyone missed it ^^^^

Some good info here

16. lawman

lawman

Great info guys !!!!

17. 73RR

73RR

The 1-800 solution is actually the best way to go for those engines that actually have aftermarket support and the 'system' is on the shelf. Presumably, the cam company has already spent their time and money designing the parts to be compatible and actually work in whatever engine.
    For the engines without any big cam company support, like the EarlyHemi, that is where we need to get creative. Many options exist and is usually dependant on the thickness of your wallet. Lifters bores can be honed to accept a slightly larger lifter (as George notes) assuming that the oil supply requirements are met. Lifter bores can also be sleeved ($$$$) to accept a smaller diameter lifter but that is leaving horsepower on the table; the larger the roller the better.
    Fortunately, for the EarlyHemi, there are several roller lifters with the correct diameter so we are only left with figuring out the rest of the pieces.

18. George

George

Yeah, the 318 LA rollers are supposed to work, think the Buick thing came up talking about blocks with rusty lifter bores.

19. Thanks Gary !
    The "getting creative" parts are such a big part of hot rodding in the first place.
    There's not much, but there is still some new ground to cover.
    Early hemis is one in particular I'm interested in, SBC BBC and some others too. Great place, gathered info, centuries of combined experience! !
    Some of these hot rod tricks are so simple, like Honda plug boots fitting the early hemi like they were made for it. Or juice brakes for early our axles.

Yep some great info here.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  20. mustangsix

mustangsix

Fitting roller lifters is probably the easiest part of a one-off conversion. Grinding a roller cam for an unusual engine will be much harder and expensive.

21. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Great thread! The early sbc using 60 degree v6 parts is the only one I've ever done, but I'm sure there is lots of good info out there on more oddball combos...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. If this thread takes off I can organize the info into makes and maybe further categories.

23. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong here ...
    My understanding is that roller cam profiles are different because they can be to take full advantage of the rollers and valve train geometry. Different ramps and such. But they don't have to be.

The face may need squared up to prevent rotation and provide a suitable surface for the roller to ride on.

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Wrong. You are not going to "square up" the lobes on a flat tappet cam and use roller lifters.

25. Yea I just rethought that.

The rollers would go over the tight bump too fast

26. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I got a bunch of Studebaker V-8 roller cams made.
    Need to use Chrysler lifters

Does this count ?

Mike

27. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

IF I were looking for a roller cam for a common engine such as SBC, BBC, SBF etc then yes-call a cam company that makes the one you like and buy it.
    However, no one is making kits for many of the older 'out dated' engines. Strangely , finding a roller cam, or sometimes a blank is not all that hard. Finding the rest of the components is a bit more daunting.
    When Comp Cams, or anyone else starts producing a complete roller cam setup for a Nailhead (preferably with grinds that really work) please let me know.