Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powergen Alternator with Fan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BillyBobsSpeedShop, Sep 20, 2011.

1. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I am looking to intall a powergen alternator on my flatty and was wondering if anyone has ran a fan on the front of it? I am wanting to run the alternator that lookes like a generator and didnt know if anyone had had any issues with running one with a fan?

Thanks

2. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Im on curious of the same thing. Speedway sells a pulley fan mount for a gm alternator, will this work on a powergen?. I would stay with my generator but i get a voltage regulator that is worth a shit.

3. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Bump, since I have the same question. Also, is the GM set up and adapter any good???

4. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

The GM fan on an alternator is an exhaust fan. Air flows from the rear of alt. to the front.
    Just some information I picked up the other day while converting to an internal regulator 10si model.

Works better than the external type for me, but is not traditional, of course.

5. flatout51

flatout51

I asked this question just last week to speedway on their website. i asked if you could use the offy pulley for gm.alternator on the powergen and run the 32-38 generator mounted fan. They said the powergen and gm alts usr the same shaft size so it will.work. That my plan for my model A

6. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Does this shed some light on the subject. I know its not a Power gen but its the same concept.. Note the air flows front to rear on an alternator

Attached Files:

Lil'Alb likes this.
  7. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

8. rexrogers

rexrogers

We are running a power gen alternator on the Basso roadster with the offy speedway pulley. and a stock ford fan.
    [​IMG]

Lil'Alb likes this.
  9. 36tbird

36tbird

Not to hi-jack this thread, but please, more info on the Riley heads. I wish you would post this over on the FordBarn site with the info for flathead folks.

10. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I did a polished powergen on a 35 ford with a flathead this spring.I got the alt pulley from macs and it fit on the gen perfectly.

11. rexrogers

rexrogers

here is the link to the basso car, i will try to post some info on this car at the ford barn soon.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515306

We have run the poweregens on a few cars now we are happy with they way the preform. the offy pulley from speedway works out great.

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Yes the speedway / offy pully fits the powergen ..... but I havent run it.

13. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Im surprised these things dont wear out alternator bearings.

14. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

I would think
    Unless the fan itself is out of balance the alternator won’t even know its there …. But like I said iv yet to run the thing. :confused:

15. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

AttnLuckyhaul, thanks for the post on the alternator airflow issue, before I posted I checked with the local rebuilder on the direction of cooling flow thru the alternator he indicated front to back so I felt accurate in posting. Since not wanting to post incorrect information and following up on your post information, further research indicated that my rebuilder was incorrect. Indeeed the cooling of the diodes is done via reverse air flow back to front. While normal thinking due to airflow would be front to rear its the opposite. The fan design is not a push thru fan but an exhaust fan creating low pressure and a reverse flow of cooling air thru the alternator.

16. Normbc9

Normbc9

We used a "Generac 2500" on our 1 ton Rescue rigs for a long time. Mechanical sirens, multiple warning lights and big electrical loads. It reduced the loss of power over the big output alternators and resulted in both better performance and fuel economy. These units used a fan type cooling system also that was internal in the housing. To my knowledge none failed to perform plus it also powered portable lamps for scene lighting too.
    Normbc9

17. 36tbird

36tbird

I worried about the fan mount on the alternator being hard on the bearings, too. Then, I figured, if it happens I ought to hear the bearing start to squeal and I plan on just carrying a spare alternator for road trips. It will be there with the spare distributor and fuel pump.

18. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

A friend of mine once blew a gen mount old ford fan apart on a long road trip ….. Now he simply removes the fan for runnin down the highway … like Sac to LA

19. JTRestro

JTRestro
    from Nyack NY

Any idea how these things handle at highway speeds? Twice I have had generators crap out on me on the highway, the bearings wiped out. I like the idea of having an alternator that looks like my original generator, but if I'm going to experience the same problems...