Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 volt regulator on 6 volt system?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Heaps, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

What damage if any could result from putting a 12V regulator on a 6V system? A local parts store sold me the wrong regulator for my '50 Chevy project. THe car isn't roadworthy yet, but I've started and run it for a while and haven't found why the lights weren't working. I discover the mistake last night and haven't tinkered with it yet. Just curious as to what to expect. Could it damage the generator or anything other than light bulbs?

2. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

3. It will charge more, and probably burn up the windings in the generator. You can adjust the regulator though as long as it's a point type regulator. Why don't you just return it and get the correct regulator?.

4. Jaywagner1956

Jaywagner1956

Stop in at an electrical rebuilding shop like where I work. Most of those guys are knowledgeable and can help you out on this.

5. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

If I'm understanding the OP, he's asking about what he can expect to be harmed from this 12v experiment.

According to this thread, a 12v regulator can be used on a 6v generator, it will just burn it out after a while http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76164

6v components will generally handle 12v for a short amount of time, light bulbs being the primary exception that will blow immediately. Other then that, your looking at basic electrical diagnosis to determine what(if any) is wrong. The gauges also could have been harmed, how much time are we talking about that it was on 12v? Take a look at what your supposed to do to convert your car to 12v, that will tell you what could potentially be affected.

6. mynode

mynode

If all you have done is run it at low rpm for a bit you may be fine as the generator output varies with rpm so you may not have exceeded the voltage by much.

7. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Yes the engine has only been run at lower rpms as it is not roadworth at this time. Whew!!! What a relief to hear that I should be OK. As far as returning the incorrect part, I've had it too long to do so.