Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did anyone here learn to DRIVE in an old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ocean56, May 6, 2010.

1. nathan

nathan
    from minnesota

Learned in my brothers '68 vw bug, and took the test in my stepdads '66 belvedere.

2. TomWar

TomWar

I learned to drive in a 1956 ford p/u. Of course it was Brand New at the time.

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

When I was learnging to drive in old cars, they were still NEWER cars....

4. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

Wow, all these replies! Thanks! I hadn't looked at this thread in a long time....

5. Ripper-

Ripper-
    from Texas

Learned to drive in a 63 Falcon Ranchero... Straight 6 and a 3-speed , converted
    to a floor shift. Had to buy a neighbor a new bumper for her cougar after I rolled
    backwards into it at the stop sign at the end of our street.. haha

6. I learned to drive in three old cars. A Hornet Kart with twin Clinton A 490's, a Mac Kart with twin Mac 20's, and a 57 DeSoto Firedome 9 passenger station wagon. Got my licence in '62

7. mixedupamx

mixedupamx

learned to drive in what would become my first car, my parents 65 impala 4dr hardtop and my dads 67 chevy van with 6 cyl and 3 on the tree.

8. Got busted by the local Sheriff when I was 12 for having grandpa's old 51 Nash out on the road in front of the farm. He was not pleased, gave me a good scolding and sent me home. Never really stopped me, I drove anything and everything that had an engine on it before I ever got my license. My brother Bob scratched the shift pattern into grandpa's old 48 Dodge pickup, I would sit in that thing for hours pretending to drive and going thru the gears. Thinking back, I probably made motor noise with my mouth while shifting.
    At age 15&1/2 I was given a 28 Chevy frame with engine and transmission. I shortened up t[SIZE=4]he frame and st[SIZE=4]uck a [SIZE=4]Ford rear end with juice brakes under the back. Replaced the steering box with one from a 46 Chevy pickup. I [SIZE=4]could drive all over in the creek beds and logging roads[SIZE=4], then the back pasture turned into my own circle track. [/SIZE][/SIZE] [SIZE=4][SIZE=4]Learned[/SIZE] so much that[SIZE=4] summer. That[SIZE=4] [SIZE=4]was the start of my fa[SIZE=4]s[SIZE=4]c[/SIZE]ination with th[SIZE=4]ing[SIZE=4]s that had en[SIZE=4]gines and drive trains. That was 50 years ago[SIZE=4].[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

9. murfman

murfman

Split between a 48 Plymouth Business Coupe, a 53 Dodge Sedan, and a 63 Dodge 2dr Hardtop all from 79-83 I was born in 67...

10. Karl stark

Karl stark

First learned to"drive" a 1942 Ford 9N tractor. First real car was a 1940 Chev. Station Wagon. Wish I hadn't sawed the roof off from the front doors back and made it into my version of a pickup!

11. fossiltin62

fossiltin62

A '31 Essex coupe and '37 John Deere model A

12. Stepside Larry

Stepside Larry
    from pa

A 51 chevy two door in 1973. My great grampa's car I bought for $50.00. I put a lot of pop rivets in that car!

13. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

Got my license in 76 using a 68 Ford XL..Does that count :rolleyes:

14. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

59 Anglia

Attached Files:

15. 32 hudson

32 hudson

well if you are talking real old no. But I learned On 64 chevlle, 55 chevy and 59 rambler all 6 cyl 3 speed cars.

16. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

One of my earliest driving memories was driving my dad's Model A hot rod pickup around the parking lot of our fairgrounds. I think I was 10. He just put it in drive and let me steer it around. The funny thing was I remember being just barely too short to drive it! Man those truck cabs are small.

17. At 11 on a Ford tractor- drove go carts way before that- drivers training was in a early 62 Chevy-

18. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

My grandmother taught me to drive in her 1964 VW Beetle in the wide open parking lot of ski resort in Tahoe California. It was summertime and the lot was empty, I was 10 years old. A very fond memory.

19. Musta been about '61 or so, I was around 10. First was an old mid 30s "Poppin' Johnny" (Deere) B tractor - y'know, the kind with a 'roll-the-fywheel-till-it's-tight, then pull' starter? Dad said 'if you can start it you can drive it'. I remember my arms were achin' after having that flywheel spin back a few times while trying to start it.

Then Dad let me drive his '56 Ford panel truck, V8 3spd - musta been about '62. He told me 'you ain't drivin' Mom's car (automatic trans) until you can drive the truck half-way up a big hill (in our cow pasture), stop, then go rest of the way up the hill without stalling, without rolling backward and without letting the clutch slip." Yikes!

My first car in '64 was a beat-up and very abused '60 Ford tudor 6cyl stick. drove it around the local country roads no plates for awhile.

Took driver ed mostly in a Opel Kadette with 4spd. trans. I was one of only a few kids who got to drive it cuz I knew how to use the clutch. Also had a Buick LeSabre in driver ed - I liked the Kadette better. Took my test for driver's license in my '60 Ford.

20. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

a chopped 4 door i dig it!

21. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

I cut grass as a kid and had afew yards about a mile from the house. Dad. Had a 50 Chevy 2dr deluxe grey primer no floorboards and no brakes but a big trunk. I threw the push mower in and used the ebrake to stop. Put a brick in the drive way so I parked it back in the same place. Dad always thought the gas tank leaked because it was always out of gas. 216 three on the tree. Those were some good times.

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Learned to drive when I was 12.Dad taught me to drive his 49 Suburban.That was about 1957.
    Nads:When I got my DL in Fl it was the same as you mentioned in England.
    If you took your test in an automatic,it was noted on the DL"automatic only".
    You had to retake the test in a stick to get that taken off of the license.Love this thread.Brings back a lot of good memories.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

In the mid 60's I learned to drive in a 48 plymouth, 1st car my dad ever bought new. My brother had the fenders off of it, tricked up to look like a modified. We had a dirt track behind grammas house. Funny how we both went on to race dirt sportsmen, then late models. Mark

24. Dillrod

Dillrod

It was a 74 amc gremlin x for me .... Nothing to brag about

25. Learned to drive in Dad's 1930 Model A Tudor, and took my drivers test in it (1983)....also lost my virginity in it....hehe.

26. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

53 plymouth cranbrook with the 3 on the tree. Boy was that tough! Automatics were so easy after that. I thought my son in my old 1950 chevy. We could of used the Honda, but that would of been so boring. He for ever will have a good story to tell.

27. jimbousman

jimbousman

Other than steering my Dad's '52 Buick Roadmaster station wagon five years old sitting on my lap, I learned to drive ay 13 in my Model a coupe.

28. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

Dad and grandpa had a trucking company, saturday mornings we would head to the yard. Dad serviced trucks, me and my brother took turns driving the 52 Ford F3 shop truck back and forth in the yard, had to almost stand to see out.

29. Falfa55

Falfa55

Learned how to drive a stick in my dads 66 vette.I bucked the shit outta it and I thought he was gonna punch me in the head...ahhhh memories:D

30. BillSchmid

BillSchmid
    from Ohio

Sort of. My dad taught me to drive on the backroads and around the local campgrounds in his 1945 Jeep when I was 13. I'm 19 now so I feel blessed to have learned on an old car with a manual trans, drum brakes, and no power steering.