Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Ford - Insight needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAR1947, Nov 28, 2012.

1. RAR1947

RAR1947
    from Minnesota

Hello all. I'm looking to get some input on a 1957 Ford 2 dr Custom for sale.

The guy lives over 4 hours away so before I go and look at it I'm looking to get some input from some that may have more knowledge of these Fords to see what a fair price is and problem areas to check.

It's a west coast car, apparently older restoration that runs and drives real nice. Interior looks to be in good shape as well as the glass and chrome. Has a rebuilt 351 with less than 8k on it and a rebuilt C4 with less than 4k. The part that worries me is the issues with the paint in the rocker area and lower fenders. Looks to be some bondo hiding some unknown issues? The guy seems to be firm on $9000. I've wanted a 57 Ford Custom for years and they don't show up for sale very often where I live without being extremely expensive or piles of junk. I know its hard to say just by some pictures and I plan to look at it, but do you think this is a fair price or is my judgement being clouded by my desire for a 57 Custom?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• left.jpg
      left.jpg
      File size:
      183.8 KB
      Views:
    • eng.jpg
      eng.jpg
      File size:
      297.6 KB
      Views:
    • fint.jpg
      fint.jpg
      File size:
      203.9 KB
      Views:
    • trunk.jpg
      trunk.jpg
      File size:
      243.9 KB
      Views:
    • X5.JPG
      X5.JPG
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
    • X10.JPG
      X10.JPG
      File size:
      25.4 KB
      Views:
    • X11.JPG
      X11.JPG
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
  2. you know this is the second thread asking the same questions in as many weeks ..maybe about the same car

the pics are showing a car that needs alot more then it appears id try to get it for from 6k-7.5 closer to the 6

3. teejay99

teejay99

Just my opinion but it seems like a fair price to me . The '57 is on my wish list and I would pay that if the time was right . I'm sure there will be issues of some sort with areas of the body , trunk tips that off . I'd be more concerned with how brakes , steering and running gear looked . Not a bad deal IMO.

T

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Going by the photos and description, that car probably is worth almost $9k. I've seen '57 Customs that need much more work than this one for a similar price.

Malcolm

5. Not a real expert, I have a 59 which is a different car. The rust in the pictures is typical of what you will see on un restored cars of those years.Patch panels are available. 55 thru 57s had a problem in the cowell and front X member areas which should be more of a concern to you. The price seems fair for what I can see. My $.02.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

7. It depends on your direction the car would head (styling wise) once you were to purchase the car. Can you live with (want) all the non-stock parts that are on this car? Wheels, engine/trans, interior, steering wheel ect...Does the cost of the car and mods to get it where yo want it once you get warrent the asking price? Only you can ultimately make this call....

8. Scorch67

Scorch67
    from Omaha, Ne

I see about $6k in bodywork and a couple K in chrome work and missing parts that you WON'T have worry about that a $1500 car would be screaming for.
    See if he'll haggle a little cuz that's just what guys do. Not to lowball him but to count a little coup.
    If I had the dough and that was what I wanted I'd say it was a fine example. real good ingredients there for a dream car. nice enough to not be an epic headache... just enough patina to warrant the personal touch to make it yours?
    How's that sound?

9. SimonSez

SimonSez

My old '57 Custom 300 had some rust in the drip-rails and I have seen others rust out there as well so definitely check that area out.

It also had a weak drivers floor - I guess it had sat around with wet carpets before I got it.

As long as your budget allows for new sills and lower door skins, it looks like it would be worth the trip to have a good look.

10. teejay99

teejay99

You said the guy is firm on the price ...let him win that and see if he has other parts/items that he could throw in on the deal ...extra wheels, tires etc . Last time I bought an older car I did just that and scored 4 corvette rally wheels with bezels and rings .

T

11. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

The car looks pretty good, but with the paint and rust repair I'd never pay $9000 for it. It is in good shape other than that, but it's a base model and very plain jane inside and out. I'd pay $7000 and not a penny more.

12. F&J

F&J

Base model 300 2dr sedan is what most gearheads want in a 57. That brings the price higher, when compared to the Fairlane 2 dr post or even a 2dr hardtop.

13. richie rebel

richie rebel

it does have some rust on it,9000k little high...........

14. eppster

eppster

I just found one on Deals On Wheels web site =frenched head and tail lights ,lakers, 3 94's ,tuck and roll , skierts ,lancers ,etc. J and S Motors !5,500 Dollars

15. eppster

eppster

Sorry, I'm not very good at posting but I think you would be way ahead by spending more money and getting a solid car with a lot of modificationa done. Just my opinion , like belly buttons everyone has got one!

16. texas rattler

texas rattler
    from texas

look at the core support at the bottom,bad about rusting there. look close at floor braces and inner rockers. check the tail pan good . i dont see 9k ,you can bet the rust you see is deeper under the bondo/paint. oh one other thing look close at the frame rails ,ive seen lots with rust out. good luck.

17. brad chevy

brad chevy

Everybody talking about the rust,which doesn't look that bad. Find a rust free 57 custom and you'll be paying alot more than what hes asking. Your call but at least try to talk him down a little. Cash in front of the eye does make deals.

18. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

Yes sir, once you start diggin' in there, who knows what you're gonna find.

Oh, as for anyone who can't run plug wires to look decent, who knows what else has been done half assed.

19. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

You are right but that looks like bondo covered rust not natural rust.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not out of line. A better one is probably going to be more like $12K to $15K or more. Rust doesn't look too bad, though you do have to look close.

21. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I agree with checking the body mounts/supports, lower radiator support, and floors, BUT that photo under the rocker makes it look pretty solid.

22. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

Not to bad a price, it would be hard to build one up to that level for less than 9K. Look at the floor pans, cowl drain tubes passed a rubber hose through the cab. hose's rotted out and the water went under the rug. Nothing wrong with new stamped floor pans in the car, but not if its you doing the work. I'd like to go a little less $$ if you can, Mark

23. RAR1947

RAR1947
    from Minnesota

Thanks everyone for all the input and tips on key areas to check. This is one of those cars I've always wanted and plan to keep for a significant amount of time. Just want to make sure my emotions don't get the best of me! A thorough inspection is in order.

24. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

As mentioned before the Custom or Custom 300 is the most sought after 57. Thats not counting the "E", "F" code cars along with the Retractables. But you better have deep pockets to consider those. That said, IMHO I dont think the price is too bad. If you can, crawl under the dash & look at the cowl drain tubes located at the top & each end of the dash. They would go bad & let all the water drain to the floor & rocker panels where the rust would begin. Also go to some of the companies web sites that offer patch panels, see what they offer then when you look at the car up close concentrate on those areas. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  25. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

isnt that strange.... I thought it was same car but its not.
    i am the the other guy that posted.
    lots good info.http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754656

our cars seem similar, the guy I am buying from want 5Gs. but mine is a 6cyl
    and needs door and fender paint. And rocker pannel work.
    good luck with yours.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  26. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

I went back and looked at your pics. It looks better than the one I am looking at.
    I couldnt do 9k but I would do 5 for one that needs some work, you maybe ahead of the game with that one.

27. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I think the custom 300s are worth way more then a plain custom. I had one in 1963 with a brand new 427/425 & a 4 speed in it. With Ballenger bros headers and 4.56 it ran pretty good back then. Id love to have another one. A friend in Daytona is building a 427 custom just like the car shown. He spent 6 grand on body work & paint alone

28. FlaminRaymond

FlaminRaymond
    from Bristol,PA

Look's like the master cylinder lid may be broken and that would compromise the whole brake system.