Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Merritt

Merritt

Thanks et164

Merritt

2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Al,those VC's are wicked! I am hunting for a set to hope to use in the future on my 289.There are adapters made for them to allow you to use on a small block like 64totalperformance is using on his 289 shown here.Never understood why merc never produced something similar for the small block,or any aftermarket guys for that matter...
    Myron.

Attached Files:

3. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Myron, I agree Aarons engine set-up is Hot. Watch the FE Forum, I see painted and pwdr-coated scripts on there often. I watch the old Mercs that I see, just in case they have them. I would like a std. set for pwr.coating too! Thanks for compliment too!......Al

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;like Al said,they show up on the FE forum and e-bay quite often.I bought my set from e-bay already chromed,a couple years back.Check the valve cover to master cylinder clearance,can be tight!! ROY

5. Myron, I agree Aarons engine set-up is Hot. Watch the FE Forum, I see painted and pwdr-coated scripts on there often.

Like these? I bought this pair about a year ago. The breather holes were also filled.

An added note.There are 2 versions of the Merc Lightening Bolt Covers. 1965 Orange are 1/2 inch taller and have a flat triangular face on each end. The 1966-7 Blue Lightening Bolt covers have a 2 facet face on one end, most likely to provide clearance for the Pwr. brake booster. see the photo comparing the differences. (Orange VC on each side)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1791544&stc=1&d=1353173187

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1791609&stc=1&d=1353179957

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  6. 65COMET

65COMET

Richard;did you see on the FE FORUM where the guy cut out the tops and centered the 'MERCURY' script and filled the holes? I never knew there were two types,good to know!!!! ROY.

7. Roy: yes that was the 2nd pair. I bought this pair from him when he finished those. It is a beautiful powdercoat job.
    I've got 7 pair of these Merc Covers and a couple of the Merc Block Lettered. I'm planning on doing some different paint schemes on the others. I've got over 40 pair of FE covers.

Richard

8. Liking those Mercury valve covers, had been thinking of putting a set on my small block.
    Roy, sorry to hear the problems with your motor. Good luck in getting it fixed right.
    Roger

9. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Guy's,thanks for that VC info.Roy,I hadn't thought about master cylinder clearance."Duh"! And Richard,wsn't aware of there being two versions of that cool part.You must have an amazing collection.
    Myron_

10. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

11. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

You guys mentioned that somebody makes adaptors? Fellow Comet pilot Todd Hoffman has a set that he offered me to put on my car, but I thought it would be impossible to mate them to the smaller heads????? Hmmn.....

12. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Dale,these are the adapters that 64total performance used on his motor pictured in post 6393.There could be others out there.....
    Myron.

http://home.comcast.net/~superhart/adapterinstructions.htm

13. On April 27th, 2013 (4/27) we will hold the first annual "FE Race & Reunion" at Beaver Springs Dragway in Beaver Springs, PA. This is an event celebrating the Ford FE Big block. It's a low key, high fun event. Track owner Beaver Bob of Beaver Springs is giving us the track for the entire day. An IHRA 1/4 mile drag strip at our disposal. We will have racing, TNT and a car show/cruise. There will be 2 FE race classes. Hot FE 12.99 - under and Cool FE 13.00 and up, bracket style. Beaver Bob is supplying trophies to both classes. Racing fee will be $40. When not racing we'll be testing and tuning so if you don't want to competitively race you can just have fun and make passes at your own pace all day long. All FE powered show cars are admitted free and eligible for an award by Beaver Bob. All spectators are free as well. I am trying to set up some good match races from some top FE racers. What else could you ask for? A drag strip with only FE powered cars. Beaver Bob has told me, he's not worried about the numbers but I think it would be in our best interest to support a track that is willing to do this for us. For everyone involved we hope it pans out to be an annual affair. So if you ever wanted to see what your FE can do in the quarter mile head out to Beaver Springs Dragway for the "FE Race & Reunion" on April 27, 2013 10AM-4PM.

We have everything covered for a successful show but it would make it nicer if we had some door prizes or prizes for the class winners. Parts, apparel, books, etc... all would be great. So if you are a shop owner or FE vendor and want to get some recognition (i.e. advertising time) won't you consider sponsoring some items or donating them?

The event flyer is at http://www.fairlanet.com/fe mark your calendars as we hope to see many of you FE aficionado's head North to Beaver Springs Dragway. We're 5 months away and will keep you all posted and reminders will be often. You may see posts on other sites as well and don't forget to tell your FE friends.

I hope I covered it all. If you have any questions you can email Doug or me (see flyer).

The Ford Big block FE engine was produced from 1958 until 1976. Sizes in cubic inch include 332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 410 427 & 428. If you’ve got one in a running vehicle bring it out to Beaver Springs Dragway on April 27, 2013.

Go to www.beaversprings.com and click on the schedule link. For those looking for something to do on Sunday, Beaver has their weekly Summit ET series racing.

We also have a Facebook group established to keep up with information about the event. To join click here: http://www.facebook.com/groups/422744294447955/
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

14. Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  15. Just to let you all know, Spring Carlisle is also this weekend. Beaver Springs is not that far from Carlisle (a little over an hour away). All of you guys from out of town can come in for Spring Carlisle Thursday and Friday which actually are the two best days then Beaver Springs on Saturday. Then you have all day Sunday for your trip home!! Make a FE weekend out of it!!

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Richard;I still think the MERCURY pentroofs look the best!! I've never seen those Weiand pentroofs,they are cool looking. Dale;if you set a FE valve cover on a SBF you will see they are VERY close in size! ROY.

17. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I really like the M/T valve covers!!

18. Yes but the M/T to me are the BellyButton VC's . and don't have the outward "Pent roof" style that was only FE. I've got a set of Holley VC's that are identical,
    Thats why the Merc., Wieand, and Marine FE were the few true Pent Roof VC's
    Now Back to 64-65 Comets !!!!
    Richard

19. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
    I came across this '65 owned by a local HAMBer(zeph4057k).He also happens to be the builder of the local '64 below.Can't wait to see what he does with the '65!
    Myron_

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  20. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Nice looking 64 Myron, I'm thinking the 65 will look good too! Glad to see all the Comet interest here in MI......Al

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I think that the guy making the F.E. adapters is the same guy that I bought my COBRA lettered covers from. They are small block covers with the flat top F.E. look to them. Nice and tall too.

22. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Do you have a picture of these?
    Thanks!

23. flattrack53

flattrack53

24. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Teddi...I do not but the company is Cobra Valley. www.performanceunlimited.com/cobra They still have em"

25. I think the chrome pentroof Mercury valve covers are the coolest looking FE valve cover there is, like you said, the script and lightning bolt is bad ass.

26. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Attached Files:

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;Thanks for posting the link! Some great cars and Dale's 64 Comet all the way over in Japan!!! KOOL!!!!!! ROY.

28. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

I wonder if that's the first '64 Comet to ever visit Japan?

29. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Finally coming up for air after the journey! I ws told by many it may have been the first in Japan, but who knows. The SpeedHunters shot above was taken just moments after Chico Kodama and I almost wadded up the Comet in front of the many who were out in front of the Pacifico for the drive in. The car got sideways as I did my one last shot of laying a patch, and we almost hit a taxi that went by us. Chico and I were shaking pretty well when this shot was taken. The stuff of memories! Here is a link to my photo's from the journey. We had an incredible trip!

http://public.fotki.com/teddisnoke/mooneyes-yokohama-2012/

By the way, you may see a theme from the event photos. We alloweed anyone who wanted, to come and sit, touch ,do whatever with the car. A first in Japanese car culture. No barricades.Breaking down more barriers... ;)

30. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

If not the first '64 Comet over there Dale,for sure the 1st Straight Axle Comet!:D

Thank's for posting your pics......one trip you all will never forget!

Myron_