Register now to get rid of these ads!

Add on cruise control

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Nov 27, 2012.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I know a hotrod is not supposed to have it but when you have a mid 50s long distance cruiser it would be nice,after 3 trips in my 55 Ford sunliner to Daytona I need it since I have a hard time staying up to speed after driving all night. Are there any simple cruise kits out there that work good and have they improved from the days of having magnets glued to the driveshaft,I had a 72 olds that had a very simple system with a on/off switch and a button in the end of the turn signal switch and looking for something like that.

2. 37_chevy

37_chevy
    from Nebraska

I used the Dakota Digital one. It's actually made by somebody else, so I don't know if it's available other places also. The instructions are crap, but the unit works good.

rockable likes this.

3. Jeff
    When you have a hard time staying up to speed after you stay up all night that is when you do not need a cruise control. ;)

I have used aftermarket cruise controls before but not since the '70s so I am afraid I cannot be much help. The ones they used to sell were crap.

'49 Ford Coupe and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  4. dt50chev

dt50chev

Check out Rostra Precision Controls. They have made cruise control kits for years. I have installed theirs in the past, just don't know for sure what they would have for a hot rod. You can install a speed signal generator inline with the speedo cable and do not have to use the old magnet setup. The link provided above shows the universal kit, also on the same page are the speed signal generator kit and you have your choice of control switches. Not sure of the price but they are good quality. Hope this helps.

rockable likes this.

5. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Well it has happened, the END of the World Porknbeaner cannot be of help!!!!!!!!!

Godspeed
    MrC.

tommyd and porknbeaner like this.
  6. Yea but I can have fun with it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. Rostra cruise universal unit is simple and reliable-Dakota Digital-has a great tech dept to help with any install issues.
    Some guys on here have used factory units from the boneyard and say they work great-just not a lot of after sale support if you cant get it to work...

8. jack orchard

jack orchard

Audiovox CCS100 is a good unit, but is no longer made. Repops are available on EBAY for $175. I configured the one i have to work with 2 simple momentary push switches - one to set speed and the other to resume speed. Tap the brakes to turn off. Don't need the clunky controls switches or other controls. 12V only. good luck...jack

NVRRDUNN likes this.
  9. Jeff, sent you a PM regarding a unit I have.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been dropped on my head too many times to know when to stop driving,I have been spoiled by my latemodel drivers that have cruise and would be nice in the 55 for the trips to Daytona. There are times it would be nice even when I am not pushing my luck driving too long.

11. cshades

cshades
    from wi

The dakota digital cruise is made by rosta.I have installed quite a few of these and they work well.If you have problems call dakota digitals tech line NOT Rosta.I know real hot rods dont have cruise but before i had my knees replaced there was no way to drive 500 miles to an event.Now i have new knees I still love cruise control.

MO_JUNK and rockable like this.
  12. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

Same as above, i have installed 5 of these units work good, not difficult to install. Bought from yogis in iowa, usually they give a 10 percent discount.

13. I installed a Rostra unit in my coupe almost 20 years ago. Still works great.

14. GREASER815

GREASER815

I helped install one years ago in an OT van. I remember it wasn't that fun to install but ended up working ok in the end. I just drive mine, sometimes gets old but I don't want it to feel too much like a new car. I want to feel like I slipped into 1950 when I get in.

MO_JUNK likes this.
  15. Yeah, rather than cruise control, I think he's really looking for "auto-pilot"! :eek:

But I still don't want to be on the same road he is when he's using it! :rolleyes:

16. jc whitney used to sell them i got one i bought about 5 years ago time to soon install it
    feet get tire when they are old!!!

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Rosta. I believe they are OEM makers for the units in many new cars, lots of experience. Brutally reliable. The aftermarket steering column makers can help you with types, installation, etc., too. Gary

18. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

I also have the Dakota digital unit in my Chevelle. Works good, there tech dept. is good.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have looked at a few but do not like the looks of the switch to mount on the turn signal lever,I forgot I removed a cruise unit out of a granada I parted that was supposed to work and will talk to my electrical friends about making a push button switch just to set the speed since I can get by without the resume/coast functions.

20. johnod

johnod

21. terryr

terryr
    from earth

I've had several aftermarket ones. They work okay, but if something goes bad "they don't sell parts for that model anymore. Why not buy our new one?"

I've put Ford cruises in 3 cars and they work great. Not as old as yours though. But they're more work. You need the steering column, brake switch, tranny speedo connector plug, etc.
    Some older Chrysler cruises are complete, with just the unit and the turn signal column needed.

http://terryrolls.org/factorycruisecontrol.html

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I work for a shop that sells car audio and one of our suppliers sells a cruise control that works off a remote so I am going to look into that one.

23. Interested in how you hooked up your brakes to turn off, and the switches connection to this unit. Got pics or a diagram?

24. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have had the Dakota Digital unit in my deuce 5 window, pickup, new highboy sedan and my 40 coupe. All have worked reasonably well. They tend to surge and drop off at times. Some of that may be road conditions. I have noticed mine work better at around 70 mph and over. I am fairly satisfied with the results. None of them work as well as one I installed in another deuce highboy sedan back in the mid 90's. Wish I could remember that brand?

25. BJR

BJR

I also have the Dakota digital in my 49 Buick. Works good.

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Still never got around to installing cruise control,been fighting trans issues that was the engine for the last 15 years and that thought has been forgotten about. Will be getting another car ready for long distance trips so it might get cruise instead.

27. https://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-3593_Form2560D.pdf

I have one of these switches, new in box. Send me a PM if interested.

28. 42merc

42merc

I've used Rostra on 2 cars. OK but not equal to OEM. Will gain or lose speed regardless of dip switch setting. Occasionally will drop out.
    As far as I know it's the only after market cruise available.

29. gene-koning

gene-koning

I'll cut you a real deal on the Rostra unit I tried to get to work on my car! Couldn't get it to stay engaged more then a few miles. Thought the unit was defective and the people I purchased it from replaced it with another unit. The one I have is unit #2, does the same thing unit 1 did. I assume it was something I did wrong. This one is a free standing universal unit. You would need a new magnet kit and a new throttle attachment kit. PM me if your interested.

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My new long distance car has a manual trans and that might open up another can of worms.