Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wanting to lower 1940 Buick.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kursed56, Nov 28, 2012.

1. kursed56

kursed56

Ive done a lot of searching but haven't found any answers. Im checking out this decent 1940 Buick Super Coupe this weekend, its all stock and Im wondering what it takes to lower the stock suspension. Id like to keep it to a traditional, old school sled.

Ive never owned a car older than 56 and haven't read anywhere that you could just cut the coils. So nay help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

These old Buicks are pretty easy to lower but you have to remember the limitations of the torque tube rears.

Yours should be coils all the way around. I would buy a set of new lowering springs from the likes of Eaton Spring (they offer drops with proper spring rates up to 3" in their catalogue) to get yourself lower without harshing the ride and bouncing off your 70-year-old, rock-hard bump stops.

You will also have to replace your rear pitman arm, because when you lower the rear, the axle will displace to one side. It'll look wonky and you may run into tire clearence problems. If your pitman arm is the same as on my '38 Buick, you can swap it for an aftermarket adjustable one from a 1964 Chevy Full-Size (Impala, etc.).

That's pretty much it for a nice, traditional, static drop; new springs and pitman arm. If you want more low, you may need to look into more exotic set-ups, but you are going top be spending a lot more money...

3. kursed56

kursed56

Thanks Rainier, I did some searches and hadn't run across any drop springs. 3 inches would be perfect, I don't want to get into anything crazy. Thanks again

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your local spring shop should have shorter springs and the ability to install them in short order. It's not too awful expensive either.

5. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I used Fatman Fabrications dropped spindles on my 39 Buick, nice pieces , worked great. I used Eaton Detroit Springs at the rear.

6. kursed56

kursed56

Well I guess I was making it harder than what it is. Thanks

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just watch your clearances...rear axle tube to frame rail, rear axle center section to trunk pan, and torque tube to floorpan/tunnel.