Register now to get rid of these ads!

just another shoebox budget build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tedley, Oct 24, 2010.

1. jerseymike

jerseymike

looking real good! you'll be dying for spring to get here.

2. I sure am. Can't wait. Snow is comming and i'm ready with my traditional vintage snowblower. It's and oldy but it's got the torque of an old flathead. Bring it on ol man winter!!!!

Attached Files:

3. I've been struggling to get things done so i walked away for a week or so. Anyway, finished the rear deck panel with speaker grilles made on the same material as the upper door panels. Made and insert in the middle with the same but may change that to a white one. Opinions?
    Finally bolted up a side pipe and whittled away at the french extention at the front. Of course the frenched pipe is bolted on ,not molded to the fender and rocker for a 'just in case i need a repair' later. Maintenance in mind here. It will be painted body color.

Attached Files:

4. jerseymike

jerseymike

speaker covers look good, as far as the center color, unless there will be a brown stripe in the seats i'd go with white. love the rippled pipes. as far as walking away for awhile probably just nhl withdrawals! hang in there, she's looking good.

5. Might be NHL withdrawls. Never thought of that. Went and bought a big screen just for those millionaires to. hissssss. Maybe i'll get some serious work done instead. Your probably right about that center panel. Easy fix.

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I agree with Mike , unless there's a stripe in the seat , go white in the center of the deck . The pipes look great too !

7. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

I really dig the side pipes and build pictures? I am about to do the same thing and am looking for ideas.

8. Pipes look great, nice job of hiding the speakers ......... I like any mod cons hidden.
    What are the door spears from? ............... they look like stock ones modified.

9. Door spears are just rear sections of 1/4 moldings. The left 1/4 molding was in tough shape so i cut it off and used it on the right side on the door. I have one for the other door from a 4 dr. donor 1/4 molding cut off. I still need a left 1/4 molding thou. May buy new. I will have to cap the end with something to finish it off where it was cut.

10. I fitted and mounted the grille. I had to add a filler to the side moldings to meet the grille since the grille was a bit short. The side moldings aren't that nice but where good enough to experiment with. A center brace was added to the grille bar but i don't care for the bar showing below the grille. So i'll have to come up with something a little cleaner. Solid but looks like schit.

Attached Files:

11. Spent the weekend fitting a frenched side pipe. Man it takes time to do this schit. I wound up welding a 3/16 rod around the hole to make it look a little more finished versus just a cutout. So here's the result.

Attached Files:

12. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Those ARE killers-I have the short ones on mine. Found on EBay after searching for 2years.

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Good idea welding the round bar to the opening . Small stuff like that take it another step above an average build .

14. don daddyo

don daddyo

looking for this steering column,the mc on mine will be fixe that way...MAN ! love your stuff

15. don daddyo

don daddyo

It's kool to see where I'm going with this, when a guy like you showed me everything to do & how to do it, with the right stuff ... I'm a buyer.So nice to see a built thread like your I think your a kool guy with a kool 50 shoebox...

16. Thanks, the other side was a lot faster since i had a pattern and breezed thru it.

17. Thanks Don. you have a rare car there and should make for a killer ride. If you can use some of my ideas, that's great.

18. Well i got got my ass back in gear and thought i'd tackle a left skirt. The right was mocked up a few years ago just to get an idea where i was going. The hardest part about making right and left parts is duplicating a rt and lt. So i got the 2 haves from a old 50 hood. This gives me a 50 inch skirt with complex curves to start with some massaging. The frame is made from 3/4x1/8 flat bar and for the bottom edge is 3/8 round bar for strength. The top edge and sides are 3/4x1/8. Top section is just straight, easy. The ends are heated and formed to fit. The bottom required a more complex form in both directions. That's why i used round bar.There is enough material on the tin to fold over the frame like putting on a door skin and tacked.Pics show what part of hood i used and some of the frame made. More pics later as i go.

Attached Files:

19. farmer12

farmer12

Amazing work there Tedley. Great to see you're back at full swing!

20. EBW

EBW

Can't wait to see the skirts!!

21. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark T
    Is that a roller cam motor? I think you need to change the distributor gear on that '63 distributor if it is. BTW the car is looking great.
    yes it's been changed to a steel gear and thanks

Just saw this thread, great looking build. Did you change the oil pump shaft? Way shorter on the HO's. If you did not, the distributor is only on int about 1/8"

An FYI

22. You and me both lol. Guys come down and the first question is always' did you finish the skirts?' Disapointed, i say, 'no not yet'. Anyway, i finished framing the other skirt and i think i have all the angles and dangles pretty close. Just have to weld a few mounting tabs and build another scoop for the leading edge which will e chromed.
    Getting there slowly

Attached Files:

23. Just saw this thread, great looking build. Did you change the oil pump shaft? Way shorter on the HO's. If you did not, the distributor is only on int about 1/8"

Hmm not sure about the oil pump shaft and was not aware of that. Thing is the motor is a 87 and it was converted to the old timing cover etc before i got it. Motor was in a 70 mustang fastback so i'm assuming this was done. Do i assume? Looks like i'll have to check that. Thanks for the tip. You may have saved me some trouble down the line.

24. Welded up a ring around the left side and fabbed another frenched pipe. Had to get into this to make sure my pipes and skirts are the same on both sides. Or close anyway.

Attached Files:

25. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

26. Thanks Royal.

Well 8 hrs later i have the left scoop bezel made. Was thinking 8 x shop rate and i could never afford that. But it's all in the fun right?:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

27. daddio211

daddio211

Those scoops are bitchin! Did you make a hammer form?

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  28. Made from flat 1/8 plate. 3 pieces shaped, welded, ground, weld some more, grind some more, twist it to fit, hammer it, tap it, sand with 80 then block sand with 220. Lots of fartin around. In the end, they are almost the same, kinda. :)

29. daddio211

daddio211

Too cool! One day I'll have to teach myself how to make cool shit!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

30. el diablo

el diablo
    from Norco CA

Build looks sweet. I subscribed and can't wait to see this thing all done!