Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Mufflers for a 302

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyfords, Nov 27, 2012.

1. I'll be installing exhaust soon on the 302 in my 54 Ford tudor and DON'T want it to sound like a 5.0 Mustang.

Instead, I'd like something more mellow sounding.

I'm thinking maybe Flowmasters with a crossover pipe.

Any suggestions?

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That's the exact opposite of what you wan't.

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Maybe true duals and glass packs would sound right.

4. Joey7319

Joey7319

with flowmasters and a crossover it will sound just like most 5.0 mustangs, because thats what most of them run.

5. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Single exhaust or use 2.5" back to glasspacks then step down to 2.0" tails. It with give a more nostalgic rap. I have never seen a 5.0 that didn't put in a x pipe and flowmasters.

6. Thanks for the info. I've never had a Mustang so that's all news to me. (ok....let me edit that...my dad and I built a 66 fastback drag car in 1986 with a 289)

I'd considered glass packs....I just don't want a roar in the cabin going down the road. That was ok when I was a teenager, but these days I want to listen to my tunes.

7. Flowmasters will make it sound like a 5.0 Mustang.

Put a pair of large bore ( 2.5?0 exhaust pipes on it with a pair of Cherry bombs as far back as possible (right in front of the rear end), then run it out to the bumper.

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

A good old fasioned turbo style muffler would hush it up quite a bit.

9. The little roadster I built several years ago had duals with Smithy's. It also had a 302 in it.

It was a cool sound for a roadster but I'm wanting something more mellow than that.

10. JasonK

JasonK

Better run long tailpipes. I have a 347 headers and bolt on Flowtech glasspacks, it's loud as hell.

And if you go with this type of muffler, let me know I'll sell them. pm me.

11. This is actually pretty nice and mellow. It may be a bit much at speed though. I wonder how much of it I could block out of the cabin with good insulation though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6OsqQn5RW0

12. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I'm thinkin' turbos as landseaandair said.

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I just put a set of Thrush Turbos with 2 1/4 pipes on the 302 in my Falcon. Frankly, I'm disappointed that it sounds too much like a 5.0 Mustang.

If I were you, I'd get glasspacks and small pipes, 2" max. If you want it quieter, get some 26" long ones or double up with two in front and two out back.

14. millersgarage

millersgarage

15. Yeah...that's what I'm trying to avoid.

What I've heard so far has me leaning towards some mild glasspacks. The Bronco in the video I linked to above almost has a flathead sound at idle...which is cool.

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

17. Aw hell yes....that is sweet. And not obnoxious sounding in the cabin either.

What are the specifics on your exhaust?

18. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Most 5.0 Mustangs, as everyone said, have 2.5" pipe with either an H or X pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters. 3 chambers are a bit less noisy, but still have the same "mustang" sound.

I've got 2 1/2" Hooker Aerochambers on my 5.0 Mustang, it still sounds like a 5.0, but not like all the other Mustangs - if that makes sense.

Smaller is better for an old school sound, and you definately want 2" or maybe 2 1/4" pipes. I've got a 289 in my '31, with 2" pipes and 14" glass packs. It's loud, but I like the way it sounds, and it's not like a Mustang. If you're wanting it a bit quieter, maybe try 2" pipes and a pair of Porter's or something like that? The longer the quieter. That would be my recommendation. For a mild street car, 2" is probably fine. Mine's not stock, and there are only a couple mild bends in the exhaust, but it will turn 8,000 rpm through the 2" pipes.

Hope this helps,
    Kamp

19. nathan289

nathan289
    from spokane,wa

Im running 2.25" pipe with h pipe and dyno max turbo mufflers..
    it has a nice sound at idle and isnt loud inside the cab.. but its a wagon and the exhaust tips are a long ways away from the drivers seat..

Ive never heard it driving away so i have no idea if it sounds like a mustang 5.0 at cruise..

If i knew how to post videos to face book... lol or you tube i would so you could have a sample.

How about the flowmaster hushpower mufflers?

20. I have Flow Masters on the wagon,,40's I think but I didn't use any crossover pipes,,sounds good to me and not too loud just a nice rumble. HRP

21. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Try this link and crank it up:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-6009dp or http://www.youtube.com/results?sear....0.0.0.14229.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0...0.0...1ac. longer sounds more mellow,I like the sound of my '54 with 24" Cherry Bombs deep purr at idle and a snarl when you goose it, pipes are 2 1/4" it will probably be a little less louder after I add the tailpipes.Classic Exhaust has dual tailpipes for a '54 contact Him at (440) 466-5460 quoted them at $120 plus shipping,be sure and tell Him you are a 52-59 Ford Social Group member.Flowmasters= Muscle car era,Glasspacks= HAMB friendly

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  22. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

23. lol ...i give up ... i cant deal ... dude ... flowmaster ?? not sound like a 5 .0 ......nite

24. autometrics

autometrics

if you have room put magnaflows with a magniflow resonator, a little pricy but flows and sounds good

25. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

I run Thrush Glasspacks on my 289. Had a lot of comments on the sound. Definitely doesn't sound like a 5.0.

26. millersgarage

millersgarage

block hugger headers, 2" pipe, no name glass packs, and 24" megaphones.

Keep in mind, your engine makes a difference too, High compression, vs low compression motors sound different.

27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

28. Muttley

Muttley

Here's a video of my Comet, its running a stock 289, 2 1/4 duals and an old set of Cherry Bomb's. This should be close to the sound you'd get out of the 302:

29. Diavolo

Diavolo

Turbos in stock location. If you want it even quieter, use a glasspack close to the engine.

In an O/T truck that had a 3" exhaust and a flowmaster, I put a 24" glasspack in the location where the Cat used to be. It brought the noise down to a low hum but was still too loud for my taste so I pulled the flowmaster and stuck a generic turbo muffler on it and it was very nice and mellow.

As an aside, Cadillac used to put "resonators" at the end of their exhaust systems (after the muffler) in the 60s to pull the noise level down another notch. The resonators were, essentially, glass packs.

30. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Here's a link to my 64 F100 with a 351w in it. I cut up some old side-pipes and used the glass pack sections (24") along with 2-1/4" tubing. Turn downs under the bed, ahead of the axle. Tends to drone a bit at speed because of the exit location, but sounds pretty good. No headers yet, just some 80's truck manifolds for now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay4c4BxL8ic