Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 54 Chevy 5 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 107, Oct 19, 2011.

1. 107

I just bought this 54. It has the original 235 in it, and I got a rebuilt 235 with the truck. It also came with a Fenton dual carb set up and another rear end. I'm not real sure where to start with this project. I'm more of a painter rather than a mechanic or fabricator. I'm not completely naive when it comes to engines, I just dont have a whole lot of experience when it comes to a project like this. I know eventually Id like to have it on bags, and put the rebuilt 235 in it, but right now id just like to get it running and convert it to a 12v. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Wow, nice truck! Add a bookmark to stovebolt.com You will be spending a lot of time there. Also, there is an AD truck group here on hamb that has a ton of info.

Switching to twelve volt requires 12v alternator, voltage reg, coil and switching the gauges over to 12v. Here's a good read...check out the rest of the tech tips too...

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/12_volt_conversion.html

3. 107

That's an awesome link. Thanks, that helps a lot.

4. 107

I haven't posted in a while and the tear down on my truck has been slow but here are some pics of where I'm at now. I'm hoping to make a lot more progress in the coming weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Check out my original bed floor.
    [​IMG]

5. 107

As of right now the cab and the bed are ready to come off. Then going to clean up the frame.

6. lawman

lawman

Very nice start on that truck.

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

look up "curmudgeon" in the dictionary when you get done with this comment:

Bags...bags...bags....first thing everybody wants to do. What's the matter with just lowering these cars a little bit using TRADITIONAL methods.

I wonder if I'm prejudiced against "new tech"???

8. 107

Well propwash, this build has taken a bit of a turn since my first posting. I never did get it running, instead I just started tearing it down. I still like the bags, but my budget may not allow it. Ive looked into a drop axle and lowering springs. This is my first build of this kind and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Its all up in the air right now, we'll see which way I go. Stay tuned.

9. I have a 4 inch drop axle from Sids in my 54. It lowers it quite a bit, but nothing near what bags will do...and nowhere near the price of a bag job.

10. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

107 - thanks for the update, I just needed to vent about non-traditional methods/parts on this traditional site. Yes, I know that somewhere in the past, some customizers (amateur and pro) might have tried/used air bags or a hydraulic equivalent, but very few cars had them and if you peruse the magazines of yore (pre-65) there's not a lot of mention regarding them. Dropped axle is a good idea, truck will sit right, and you won't be forced to eat your dog's Beggin' Strips

Glad you're making some kind of progress - the AD trucks are a big favorite of mine and I'm currently on the outlook for one, and have offered a trade (in the HAMB classifieds) for my 27 roadster.

11. 107

A little progress over the weekend. I got some friends to come over and help me get the cab and the bed off of the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. x2

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad