Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dents in headers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FleetlineDLux, Nov 26, 2012.

1. FleetlineDLux

FleetlineDLux
    from Canada

I picked up an old set of headers from an el camino that have what look like pressed dents on pipe 1 both sides. A friend mentioned they might be clearance for the plug wires or are they just dented from someone past?

Attached Files:

2. That looks like someone dented it.

Almost looks like it's from prying on something.

3. FleetlineDLux

FleetlineDLux
    from Canada

Ya I was thinking a pull from the past, maybe a chain might dent like that?

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

definitely not for spark plug clearance, and those are not stock dents. I agree with both the first two commentors. Either it got hung up on a chain or somebody was prying on something, using the headers as a fulcrum. Hope they were very free.

5. Wire brush... 2 coats of VHT... slap 'em on and run it.

Bob

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might cost you 5 horse on the high end of the dyno pull, but other than that, don't worry about it. My advise is to clean em up, throw a light coat of VHT on em and let em fly.

-Abone.

7. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

Easy way to remove the dents. Just did it on my accidently damaged Zoomie. Put a rag in the end of the pipe. Fill the pipe with water so that water will be in the damaged area. Put overnight in a commercial freezer. By morning no more dent. Neighbor had a freezer in the garage that was big enough and had room for the Zoomie. Can't even tell it was dented. Cool stuff.
    Dan

8. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

That freezing water to expand metal is a great idea! If it can crack a block, why not use it to do good? I would never have thought of that! Dan, thanks for this great idea!

P.s. Avanti's are the coolest.
    Trying to get my wife one cause she loves them.....

9. We have used the freezing meathod for years, BUT, just understand that expanding can and will split the pipes every so often, and I dont mean a tiny crack. If it happens on straight tube, no big deal, but if it is the outside of a bend on a seam, life sucks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  10. BJR

BJR

Why not use one of the guns that weld the nails on and a slide hammer to pull the dents.

11. FleetlineDLux

FleetlineDLux
    from Canada

Man you guys rocks, great ideas! Thnx

12. I worked next to a muffler shop and the owner would use heat and air pressure on expansion pipes. Plug one end, other end plug has an air fitting, heat up damaged area with a rosebud and add air to pop it out.

13. Bonneville Avanti Dan

Bonneville Avanti Dan
    from California

I cannot take credit for the idea. Pat King from high Gear Ranch told me what to do. the secret is to make sure the water has a place to go as it expands so that it doesn't overexpand the pipe. I also like the air and heat idea also. No freezer available then the heat would be the way to go. I was so bummed when my custom Lemons Headers Zommies got bent. It was so nice to see it fixed.

Yes, Avanti's are very cool! I plan to get another one to build for a street cruiser. If my ship comes in I willpress my buddy to buy his museum quality R3 Avanti. That was the fastest factory built car in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90"s. And his only has less than 2000 miles on it. I can dream.
    Dan

14. mynode

mynode

Drill a hole opposite the dent and knock it out with a drift through the hole. Then weld the hole up.

15. Domiracer66

Domiracer66
    from The Mil

Clearly clearance Clarence.. Listen to your friend he knows what he's talking about

16. swe64

swe64

learn somthing new today thanks

17. Domiracer66

Domiracer66
    from The Mil

[​IMG]

SBC Plug clearance

18. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

plug both ends of tube with air blower in one end heat red at dent and hit w air

19. FleetlineDLux

FleetlineDLux
    from Canada

Good to know, thanks ya he's a rather knowledgeable fellah!