Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barn Find Corvette-PICTURES ADDED

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rockfish, Nov 26, 2012.

1. rockfish

rockfish

Actually it's a garage find but barn sounds cooler. It's a 1964 Corvette. Bought it from the wife of the original owner.

A little background. I've known about this car for almost 30 years and have been trying to buy it for over 20 years. Sadly the original owner passed away in the early 1980's when he was only about 40. He bought the car new and was driving the car while he and his future wife were dating.

The wife had a lot of memories tied to the car and has been reluctant to sell the car. I've known about the car through a family friend who is best friends with the wife. Every couple of years I would make an inquiry though the family friend about purchasing the car. I was always told no and was never even allowed to see the car.

About a week ago I made my biannual request to buy the car and actually got a response of, "I'll think about it". I then asked if I could see the car and was told yes. Saturday I got to see it in person for the first time. The owner and I hit it off and she felt that it would be going to a good home so she agreed to sell it to me. We settled on a price yesterday.

Let me say upfront that I got it for a fair price but did not take advantage of a widow in any way. We are both very happy with the deal.

Car has 89,000 miles, original paint and the motor was swapped at some point in it's history. Still a small block but I'll have to check the numbers after I get it home this weekend. I'm not a numbers matching restoration kind of guy so I'm not concerned.

Plans call for buffing out the dull and thin in spots paint, changing all fluids, rebuild the brakes and bolt on an old set of Appliance brand Torque Thrust copies. Then drive the wheels off it.

Sorry for rambling on, but I'm pretty excited after getting the after trying for so long. I guess it pays to be persistent and patient.

I wold like an opinion on tires. The car is Saddle Tan in color which is a light gold. Should I run blackballs, red lines or gold lines?

I'll add a few pictures tomorrow.

Edit-
    Picture added. I'll get better pictures this weekend when I pick up the car.

Attached Files:

• C1.JPG
      C1.JPG
      File size:
      112.6 KB
      Views:
    • C2.JPG
      C2.JPG
      File size:
      106.6 KB
      Views:
    • C3.JPG
      C3.JPG
      File size:
      119.2 KB
      Views:
    • C4.JPG
      C4.JPG
      File size:
      142.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

tease...and run redlines...waiting for pics

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. I agree with Larry on the tires...and the pics...:D

4. servi53

servi53

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's just another tall story until we see the photos.

6. man o man, what a find. one of the most fun cars ever. coupe or convertable?

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Well, I'm sure you know that because it isn't numbers matching, it's practically worthless to restore as far as the typical Corvette crowd goes. So, may as well hot rod the heck out of it. :D

8. yeah....modify it somehow and then take it to one of the meets that the Corvette-pricks go to.

Seriously though....sounds sweet. I join the crowd waiting for photos.

9. gsport

gsport

we're not all pricks...

10. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm a mid-year Corvette prick (check my "OT Stuff" album), '67 L79 coupes specifically, so I'm excited for you! Restoring these cars with non-matching numbers is fine with us Corvette snobby pricks, and their value will keep pretty good pace with a matching-numbers car, as long as the engine you use was offered in '64. Anywho, I hope it's a coupe! Post some pix!!

Oh yeah, I like bias-ply red-lines on Rallye rims. I dig the squirilly ride of bias-plys. :)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  11. TinShed

TinShed

Nice, good find!!!

They are out there

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Come on man be cool to the Corvette guys....I am one of those prick's?

13. ha ha, no shit, but, some of us are.

14. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

X2 I have owned a corvette since i was 18, matter of fact i still have it, I'm a hotrodder and that was the first thing we did back when, hotrod the crap out of it,,I understand a lot of people think the corvette guys are a bunch of asses and i will admit that a lot of that is true,,but a lot of us have had corvettes longer than some of you have been born, We are not all Gold chain Jerks.Just my .02.

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I know some Hot Rod pricks also....they are everywhere just not everyone? Hopefully thread will get back on track?

16. PICS-we need Pics!!!!!

18. Mid year Vettes look best with red line tires. Is it a fuelie ?

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have been hearing stories about this car my entire life....but I thought he went to Vietnam and never came back?

20. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Hey, look, a thread with no photos! Let's all imagine the Corvette. Ready, set, imagine!

21. k9racer

k9racer

As far of matching nos in years in the past I have decked engines and renumbered the block.. As far as cast numbers I know a round track welder in Michigan named Randy { his last name starts with the letter between A and C}} that can make any number letter combo you want. He is not cheap.. I have owned several corvettes { 58 up to 75}} that I have modified and ran the snot out of them. I have noticed in the vett world you have true car guys and those that ride in Parades and wave at every one and say look at ME ain't I cool..

22. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Sorry, but I'd really like to see some photos. Please!

23. brewster55

brewster55

red line tires, and get with the pictures

24. ernest t bass

ernest t bass
    from Iowa

Red lines and Torque Thrusts get my vote. Best midyear combo in my book.

25. Lets have some real fun and install a brand X engine :D L.O.L. OUCH!!

All jokes aside... Nice Find Patience is a Virtue...
    Send Pictures :)

26. come on let's see this car ! LOL

27. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

I took the liberty of doing an artists rendition using my MSPaint wizardry. It will have to do until we get actual photographs.

Attached Files:

28. rockfish

rockfish

Sorry about not having pics. I can't post them from home. I'll get some up from work tomorrow. The car is a convertible with the hardtop too. It's got the higher redline tach so I'm guessing it was the 365 horse engine originally. I doubt if it had the 375 horse fuel motor. No emblems for that on the car.

Picture tomorrow for sure.

29. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

Without pictures it's just a BS story......Right?

Just kidding

Rod

30. ernest t bass

ernest t bass
    from Iowa

Drop that tank asap an look for the build sheet. Hopefully it's still intact an if so try to save it. Be very carefull not to destroy it as they are hard to remove