Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 9 inch posi rebuild. Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47.Poncho, Nov 25, 2012.

1. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

I finally found the gear ratio(4.30) I wanted to put my posi together for the 47. I need help on which rebuild kit I should buy for it. I don't know much about the 9 inches so I posted pics of the posi and case I plan on using. The car currently has a 9 inch out of a 64 full size. It's a 28 spline, 3.55 open center. I plan on keeping the open center together for if I ever need them for a long road trip.

A freind of mine who is a HD mechanic is going to set it up. He rebuilds hd truck diffs all day long so he knows how to set up the tooth contact.

What has everyoned used in the past for rebuilding these things? Any brands to stay away from? I'm looking for one with bearings.

Also the posi I have has 1/2 hole openings on the top peice where others have 7/16". Why is this? I was told to use the ARP 350-3004 bolts. 1/2" shank with 7/16 threads. The posi is a 28 spline posi. Wern't those called aqua lock or something?

If the Ford guru's could help, that would be great.

Attached Files:

2. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

Here are pics of the case I plan on useing. I posted pics of any numbers I could fine so if anyone knows what these parts came out of, I would be interested to know for the future. Also the diff will be put up to the test so any modifications to make it stronger for the "Street" would also be aprecaiated.

Kris

Attached Files:

3. kennkat

kennkat

First step for me at this point would be to have it all Magnafluxed... Posi's are not usually treated well.... I have found about 25% of those Magged to have cracks... CASE too

4. I'll have let you know how I used but when I was looking I found "Randy's Ring and Pinion" to be one of the most expensive companies out there.

Get yourself a "Master Rebuild Kit". I think the name of the place I found to be the more reasonable was Quick Time Performance (or something like that???).

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012

5. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

Any other options?

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The 4.30 gear set you want to use probably has 1/2-20 threads so you won't need the step bolts, but check..Looks like you have a Traction-Lock, it has four pinions where as the old Equa-Locks were two pinion..Trac-Lock rebuild kit may still be availible from Ford but any place that deals in 9" should have the parts..I would suggest a Daytona pinion support and solid spacer 1350 yoke..Poke around here http://www.fordification.com/tech/rearends_ford03.htm for a start, theres one other site but I can't find it now.... ..

7. Why would he need a Daytona pinion support and a 1350 yoke??? :confused:

I don't see where he said he was running a lot of horse and/or torque and he didn't mention he was racing. Also, he has a soft "pig iron" case.

Sounds like wasted money on overkill. ;)

8. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

For sure dont need a Daytona pinion support. We run over 500 HP through a regular support all the time on dirt cars with no problems. The 28 spline axles are going to be the weak link in this setup.

9. Even the 28 spline axles will be just fine for a street car. No major horse... no major torque... no sticky tires... No Problem!

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Last sentance of post #2...Maybe I read more in to it than he meant and I spewed forth..Solid spacer wouldn't hurt or a yoke bigger than 1310.

11. Yea I see what you're saying but he did emphasized "street". Perhaps the O.P. can clarify his "future" plans.

9 inchers are fairly stout in stock form especially on a street car.

12. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

My car is for the street so I think the 9 inch and the stock internals will be fine. So the posi is a traction lock. Is there anything else I should be looking for or know? Common places for cracks? weak points? area's that ware.

13. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

How sure are you on the 1/2' bolts? Seemed that when I was looking at ring and pinions, they all were 7/6" bolts. Why is my posi special?

14. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Another place besides randys is just differential. Think the website justdiferential.com. Great guys built 3 rears with there parts.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

15. American Pie

American Pie
    from Lemont IL

16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I don't know why the 1/2 holes in the posi :eek:..I went and checked everything I have, the newest gears and everything is 7/16 holes and threads so you are right :confused:...I had an [old] Equa-lok that needed the special bolts you mentioned because of 1/2 holes but my memory insisted that it was an old gear set and thats why the difference...I got the bolts from Ford [no summit back then!] but they were on the short side; I had to spot face the carrier holes about an 1/8 deeper to make me happy on thread engagement..So the Summit bolts should fit your needs just check the 1/2 dia., it should not protrud beyond the carrier ring gear face and the 7/16 thread does not bottom out in the ring gear before the bolthead seats..

17. 47.Poncho

47.Poncho

Weird. Thats why I asked if it was a traction lock. Can anyone else shine some light on the 1/2 inch bolts for the ring gear?????

Here's a link to the bolts that I need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARP-Ring-Ge...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

OTE=seb fontana;8386670]I don't know why the 1/2 holes in the posi :eek:..I went and checked everything I have, the newest gears and everything is 7/16 holes and threads so you are right :confused:...I had an [old] Equa-lok that needed the special bolts you mentioned because of 1/2 holes but my memory insisted that it was an old gear set and thats why the difference...I got the bolts from Ford [no summit back then!] but they were on the short side; I had to spot face the carrier holes about an 1/8 deeper to make me happy on thread engagement..So the Summit bolts should fit your needs just check the 1/2 dia., it should not protrud beyond the carrier ring gear face and the 7/16 thread does not bottom out in the ring gear before the bolthead seats..[/QUOTE]