Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1963 Pontiac Parisienne (Who buys a convertible in Canada?)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speters, Nov 26, 2012.

1. speters

speters

I have had this car for a while now and figured it was time to post about it. Since my father's truck and my 48 are not on the road and I sold my barn find Model A it was time to go out and find something else to drive. This was back in September and I was looking for a car I could bring to the Hot Rod Fallout in October. My daily eBay / craigslist search found a 63 Pontiac 2 door convertible a few hours away from me. The ad had tiny pictures and a one line description so I wasn't very excited. I casually sent it over to my father and he seemed interested. (he likes stuff that is a little different) The next day after work he calls me and tells me he was bidding on the car but lost at the last second. I was very surprised since there was so little info on the car. I just wrote it off as a lost cause and another one of my father's crazy eBay experiences (he bids on the craziest stuff). A few days later the ad is back on eBay with a phone number so we call the guy up settle on an amazing price and hit the road for Port Jervis NY with a trailer. We pull into this guys driveway and the Parisienne is parked outside looking amazing. The seller opens up his shop to reveal a crazy collection of toys 2 low mileage vettes, a 68 Camaro convertible, a 68 camaro coupe project, 34 Ford glass street rod, a 2 passenger helicopter, a big block powered speed boat and a crazy low mileage 70s chevy truck. Outside is a big rig RV for when he used to do race events! And I forgot to mention that both 68s and the 34 had Ramjet ZL1s under the hood! So clearly this stock 63 Pontiac does not fit in with the rest of the goodies. He tells us he flew to Cali purchased the Pontiac and drove it back to NY just for fun and now he is done with it. After a quick inspection we throw it on the trailer and hit the road smiling from ear to ear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at the DMV on the way home and got some plates for it. Pulled it off the trailer and bled the brakes and off to a local cruise night we went! Here it is that weekend after a bath

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

View from my porch that day
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was having some troubles stalling off the line so I rebuilt the carb and cleaned out the gas tank. The ignition switch was giving me some trouble so I tore it apart and worked some magic on it. A new loop carpet was in the trunk when we bought the car so that went in along with some new door sills. I switched out some leaking power steering lines as well.

The Boyd wheels had to go. This car looked confused with street rod billets and muscle car tires so I called up Coker and Early Wheel and got some new shoes on order. They came in on the Friday before the Hot Rod Fallout and I got them on the painted just in time. Included in the sale of the car was 2 sets of 63 hubcaps one of which was NOS

[​IMG]

It was still missing something so we decided to cut the springs
    [​IMG]

I finished just in time to get some sleep before heading out to the Fallout the next morning. I think it paid off in the end
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far this car has been a blast. For those of you who do not know, the Parisienne is the Canadian version of the Bonneville. Since is from our neighbors in the north it is a 63 chevy chassis with 63 Pontiac body so it has a 2 barrel 283 with a powerglide. It is just a great cruiser! I can not imagine a lot of 2 dr convertibles were sold in Canada

2. deadgearhead

deadgearhead
    from Washington

Lowering it on the wide whites and hubcaps transformed the car from "yuck" to "yes!". Real classy cruiser.

3. scrubba

scrubba

I'd be willing to bet not too many convertables were sold in Canada ! scrubba

4. Sauli

Sauli

Wow! THAT is a nice piece You have here! Always had a thing for both "X" -frame Chevies and the "big" Pontiacs myself.
    From what I understand, most of the "standard-size" Pontiacs sold new on export markets overseas "back in the day" were of the Canadian-made "6000-series" with the Chevy mechanicals and dimensions; Laurentians and Parisiennes.
    Anyway, I´m sure it has, and will be a blast. Amazing what a simple change of wheels and a little adjustment of "stance" can do! Looks low, sleek and plenty clean from here. Wouldn´t change a thing. Good luck.

5. richie rebel

richie rebel

wow,what a difference the wide whites make,looks good

6. harp

harp

Very tidy !!!!!

7. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I agree with all the previous compliments. Just wanted to say what good-looking hubcaps those are - not too gaudy, but flashy in a good way, understated and fit the theme of your car perfectly. And...I'm not really a hubcap guy.

8. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

There were lots of convertibles sold in Canada..its not all snow, ice and igloos as is the rumour.......I have owned 4.....one being a 62 Parisienne. My car also went to the US, not sure where it is now. Great looking car you have there

Attached Files:

9. teejay99

teejay99

Lots of ragtops sold up here ...I used to sell 'em . Nice Pontiac .....looks great lowered . The 283 / Pontiac used to freak out my American buddies ...they went apeshit over the 409 version !

T

10. biscaynes

biscaynes

11. Streight8

Streight8

I read somewhere % wise more convertibles were sold in Canada. That was a couple of years ago when I had my 63 parisienne, and a 66 Impala SS convertible. Both had to go for the 47 Buick Convertible. (there seems to be a trend). And yes for the sharp of eye there is a front signal light from my 40 Chev SD streetrod coupe. (some issues we only talk about with the therapist)
    Apparently in the late 50's to 60's Canadians trended to polarize between stripped down low end or loaded high end with the middle ground being sparser. But anything on the internut has to be read with a grain of skeptiskyzm. :)

I like the lowered look with the wide whites and good decesion to change the wheels. My driveway is nasty I had to be very careful going in and out of the garage not to drag the tailpipes on my 63.

12. Love those Parisiennes from 63-64...gorgeous car you got there !!

13. Nice looking ride! I like the new wheels and tires.

14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job on the wheels, tires, springs. Exactly what I would have done.

15. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

16. Very Nice Parisienne! Your right, these were the top model in the Canadian Pontiac line. Seems to me the American Bonneville had a wider track and true Pontiac division motors.
    The steel wheels with hubcaps & whitewall tires along with the lowered stance are all really good changes since you purchased the car!:D

17. speters

speters

Thanks everyone! The chevy frame and stock wheels made the Parisienne look funny with the wheels WAY inside the wheel wells. That is why I called up the guys at Early Wheel and had them made up some reverse wheels with a better backspacing. I had to make my own "wide track"

18. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Based on the construction of Igloos a drop top is often necessary to get them in the garage. Pontiac made the Strato Chief and Laurentien as well. Very different cars from their American cousins.

Nice find and with a few minor modifications she looks great (not wild on the WW but that is just my opinion). Enjoy the car and should you want to park in my northern ice garage just give me a call.

19. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

409 version.... What? I'd love to see one of those.

I love the big body convertibles and you did a great job seeing thru the billet wheels on this one. Just think how cool it would look with some '63 Dog Dishes. :D

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

yeah....what did one have to order to have a 409 as an optional engine in a Canadian Pontiac?

21. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

22. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Not many convertibles in Canada. That is funny. As has been mentioned there are plenty of convertibles up here.

Maybe more in some cases as we can drive with the top down when many of you down south would fry your brains doing so. :D

Mind you while we are in our cold winter months some of you are in your warm months and can do the top down thing more pleasantly. :)

As said, we are not all snow and ice all the time up here.

24. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Don't lie man, your typing that from your Igloo

25. speters

speters

I spend time in Canada every year and it is beautiful aye

26. sololobo

sololobo

Congrats on a beautiful ride. I hope folks take notice at what a few adjustments can make to take a car for needing a little love, to hotter than a stolen credit card. ~sololobo~

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

LOL :D

What's this aye stuff ? You sound like a pirate :)

You may as well get it right :D It's beautiful Eh !

28. teejay99

teejay99

The 409 Pontiac was available for 3 years I believe and ended with the 1965 model if I remember right . You could get a 283 or 327 as well .
    My step wasn't a car guy , and went shopping for a new '64 Chevy or Pontiac .....brought home a 327 Pontiac Par. 2 door 327 auto the one day . I was in 7th heaven . Next day there was a Chevy Impala 4 door , 283 auto which he kept because the Chevy dealer gave him $100 more for his trade in . Groan .

T

29. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy
    from Central IN

Crap, that's gorgeous!

30. It is a sweet, clean car!!! Even nicer in person. Any additional plans for it Steve?
    Todd