Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to find a used LSR car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 94hoghead, Nov 25, 2012.

1. 94hoghead

94hoghead

This may be a stupid question, and yes, I used the search function. Where is the best place to look for a used LSR car? I've looked at the HAMB classifieds, landracing.com and ebay. Even wendyjeffries.com. I'm just not having a lot of luck.

2. My way of thinking is they don't come up for sale that often and when they do probably someone in the inner circle is the ones that buy them.

Have you checked with the Southern California Timing Association or the East Coast Timing Association? HRP

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

4. Ole don

Ole don

Go back to wendyjefferies.com and buy a subscription to the Bonneville Racing news. Over the years I have seen some very nice race cars there for sale, and a few real bargains. Also, buy a SCTA rule book so you have an idea what you are looking for.
    If you have little experience at Bonneville, consider the 130 and 150 class at the September meet. This is a great way to get a safe inexpensive start. Google USFRA for that.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends a lot on what class you want to run in. There was a turn key 3rd generation Camaro that had run 200 + for sale up in this area a couple of years ago for way less than you could build a 200 mph car for. The implication was that the owner had built it to check one thing off his bucket list with and after doing what he set out to do had it up for sale.

You might check http://www.racingjunk.com/ There is one non Hamb friendly car on there now that has passed tech.
    I'd say that is one of the main things when buying a used land speed car to race is find one that is up to date and has recently passed tech. Digging one out of someone's garage that hasn't been run in 20 or 30 years and trying to bring it up to date might be more work than starting from scratch.

I have to go along with what HRP said in post #2 in that many of the cars that do get sold never get advertised as someone already involved in landspeed racing buys them when the word gets out that they are for sale.

6. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

There are 5 LSR cars for sale in :
    Bonneville Racing News
    P.O. Box 730
    Hemet,CA 92546

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

also, place a Wanted Ad on all of the sites listed.

8. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

bonneville racing news

9. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

There is a 200mph A Roadster completely certified for sale in Spokane, WA right now. Proven, Killer car. I think I saw it here, in the classifieds, this weekend. 22k to 25k w/trailer. Keep looking. Its Orange w/flames.

10. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Pm JustinB, He's got a roadster that has passed tech recently & has Bville history. He's mentioned it might be for sale.

11. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Found it. 1928 salt roadster. Craigslist...Spokane Washington.

Attached Files:

12. Landracing.com has had a ton of cars in the last year
    Including the above mentioned roadster
    Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

13. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Try RacingJunk.Com the have several listed

14. PackardV8

PackardV8

C'mon guy! That's like asking how high is up. Give a Hamber a clue. What class do you want to run? Are you looking for a turnkey car, a roller or a project?

X2 on this one. Some newbies claim the SCTA sometimes has one level of enforcement for the good old boys and nit-pick-to-the-letter-of-the-law for first-timers. Get a car which passed and ran this year with a current log book.

FWIW, the roadster here in Spokane, if it's the one I've seen, is a class act.

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3413799704.html

[​IMG]

jack vines

15. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Trying to figure out what class I want to run in is not an easy task. I bought a rule book and an struggling to understand a lot of it. Secondly, trying to figure out what class I might even have a chance of being competitive in is another. At this point, I just want to test the waters and see whats available. I hope that I'll know the car when I see it.....

16. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Lots of good advice, thanks guys......subscription ordered!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  17. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

WHat are you looking for? Roadster, coupe, new , old, truck.....

Our stude has gone 179+ on a low budget. ARe you looking at B-ville, Wilmington, Loring, Texas....?

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

much of it depends how deep your pockets are, and your fabrication skill level, to go fast. no experience on the Salt? start out in low mph class and work your way up. how often have you been to Bonneville & El Mirage? if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

19. kennkat

kennkat

RacingJunk.com - maybe??:confused::confused::)

20. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

how about a 57 fiat 500.
    It can run in Competition coupe or Modified sports.
    Its been run at Maxton and B-ville.
    Record holder at Maxton,ran faster than the record at B-ville but didn't back it up due to rain out.
    Has not been run in 7 years,its in the trailer.
    Has a new (one pass) quick change and a new BW super t-10.
    No engine
    Has had a 4 banger and a Northstar Cadillac in it and has mounts and headers for a 500 Cadillac engine.

Attached Files:

KiWinUS likes this.
  21. gir431

gir431

My D gas coupe record holder is on EBAY right now with a buy it now of $26,000. Item number 16093004874.

22. PackardV8

PackardV8

"NOTHING FOUND" when I plugged in that item number.

jackvines

23. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

most all salt cars come with a log book and that tells everything there is about that car concrning its history at the salt. make sure you get it or it will have to be considered a new car and start aall over.

24. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

BRN
    P.O. Box 730
    Hemet, CA 92546

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one? 160930042874 Turn key 200 mph car for under 30K that will pass tech isn't a bad way to go racing.

Packard V8 you have to copy and paste the number in the search and it will come up.

It's under race cars not street legal and on my list was in the middle of the second page.

26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

27. usmile4

usmile4

28. firingorder1

firingorder1

I got my opy of the SCTA racing news yesterday and inn the for sale section you can have you choice of a 190 mph Street Rod # 940, an '86 Ford Ranger pick up (racer not push truck), a Lakester # 960, a Firebird gas coupe #363, a Mitsubishi (current record holder) or a blown gas modified roadster # 3027. How many car do you need?

P.S. When you o find what you are looking for make sure it has a current log book. Rules change. Buying a five year old LSR car you might find it does not meet the current rules and a lot of updating might be needed.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  29. sawzall

sawzall

It's not "traditional"but if ever wanted to go LSr racing I'd use an older NASCAR super speedway car

I know of one here in pa.. it is minus engine and trans but has the cage and seat etc that would be necessary... It also has 100's of hours of aero work and it already went 180 mph...

i think it would be the quickest cheapest way to get in a lsr capable Ride
    If your interested send me a pm so that you can contact info

30. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We've got this one for sale.............

Attached Files: