Register now to get rid of these ads!

To channel or not to channel. opinions wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flying53gmc, Nov 25, 2012.

1. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

I'm at a crossroads in my a build. I'm running a gmc inine six engine and have finished up the suspension which includes a small kick up in the rear (bishop/Tardel style) with a reverse eye speedway spring and the front has a reverse eye with a 4 inch drop axle. This is a 50s style build. I was hoping for it to be a little lower with the body back on and have been contemplating channeling it the width of the frame (4 inches) and was dead set on it until I looked at what it would do to the radiator setup. My radiator is a nice aftermarket job that is ready to go. If I channel the car it must be cut down and the top of the shell is going to be at the same level as the valve cover which I think looks terrible and I would have to run an electric fan which I can't stand on a period car. I'm now leaning towards leaving as it sits. What do you guys think?

you can see the shell and rad 4 inches lowered in one pic.

Attached Files:

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally I think you nailed it in photo #1 the profile looks great right there. That six is really tall and I think you would end up with a bump in the hood that doesn't look right if you channel it and with the engine setback you sure want to run a hood on it.

3. -DouG-

-DouG-

The first pic looks great. i don't think it should be channeled!

4. I with Mr48chev. It looks great in #1.

5. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Since I've had channeling on my mind for a while now I just came in here to vote "channel".

But it looks great just the way it sits and I can see the problems you'd have to work out if you channel it.

In any case, considering you (or me if I was in your shoes) might live with that coupe for a long time, I'd work out the channel and go down that road.

6. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

I usually like the channel look but pic number one looks great. keep it the way it is

7. PackardV8

PackardV8

Yer between a rock and a classic hard place. Agree, a channel makes the body and stance right, but the engine, fan and radiator goes all wrong.

A contrarian view might be to look at the GMC-blown-with-6-97s builds. Having all that visual mass above the cowl and radiator line is a source of pride to them.

If it were a flathead V8, a frame-width channel would be a no-brainer. However, the long, tall Jimmy produces an entirely different esthetic. Mebbe that's why I can't ever remember seeing an A/GMC rod in the '50s. They were common in '40s-50s trucks and Chevy coupes and they probably existed in '30s coupes and roadsters, but I just never saw one.

Anyone got photos of other builds to share for flying53gmc?

jack vines

(Of course, having the engine/intake sitting way above the cowl and radiator on an overly channeled coupe or roadster is the hallmark of those rods whose name we dare not mention. :>}

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Looks fine the way it is, who wants to see a rocker cover sticking out of a hood on a channeled car? Bob [​IMG]

9. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Looks perfect as is, except for maybe adding some drip rails.

10. I agree! HRP

11. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I am always for a channeled car, and my 33 Ford five window is built that way. To me, the style goes with the 50's hot rod look. But in your case, I have to agree with the others - leave it the way it is. Looks good!

12. jambottle

jambottle

before you decide; sit in a channeled car and then sit in a non channeled car.enough said.

13. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

I like it as it sits.

Do not channel IMO.

14. wheels777

wheels777
    from York, PA

I like it as is. Don't channel

Have you sat in a channelled car? If it, try one. You loose alot of room.

15. Here's an idea to try, some card board and tape is all you need.
    Drop the door bottoms and rear quarter down over the frame. Treat the cowl accordingly.

16. JoJo O.

JoJo O.

I'm on the NO channel band wagon! She looks awesome in pic #1, keep it up.

17. hallrods

hallrods

I like it as is I wouldn't channel it

18. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I think it sits really nice the way it is....

19. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I'd leave it as is.

20. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

I think you nailed the look as is. Love the messy shop. You can't get any work done if you are cleaning all the time!

21. I like the lines as is ,Channeling will throw them off.... then you'll have to lower the drive train so you can still get the hood on , my 40 Chevrolet is UN channeled and I have only about an inch above the air cleaner, running a 235

Sent from my ROIDS using the TJJ mobile app

22. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I'm in the no channel camp, you give up too much interior room, have to deal with hood and grille shell.......I have had both, my current build is NOT channeled. By the way...I'd be right at home in your highly organized and tidy shop!

23. Looks good but I think channeled just enough to hide the frame would look better.

24. DvlDg29

DvlDg29
    from NJ

+1 on this. As always with these, it is all opinion but that is the stance I'm hoping to achieve on my coupe. How much chop do you have on there?

25. 296ardun

296ardun

Agree with the majority opinion, don't channel...several have already said it, will be like sitting inside a sardine can with the chop + channel...it look great the way it is...

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

No channel for this one when it looks so good on top of the frame. Why go through a whole bunch of labor, time and expense when it's obvious you have a killer look without it.
    If you insist on doing it at least do yourself the favor sitting in a channeled car and get a preview of what will be the reason for your Chiropractor being able to take some high dollar vacation time.:(

Frank

27. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

haha, no that is cleaned up. Thanks for the input

28. flying53gmc

flying53gmc
    from M-boro, TN

exactly 4 inch chop. Build thread is here for anyone interested in following along: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738445&highlight=gmc+god

I want to thank everyone for the constructive input. The consensus is leave well enough alone, which is how I was leaning with the radiator issues. Now I'm sold with your inputs. Thanks.

29. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

My feelings exactly

30. David Chandler

David Chandler

Looks good as it sits. So if it ain't broke, don't fix it.