Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another 350 crate motor question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill Rinaldi, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

OK the latest in my crate motor questions. In the usual place where the spin on filter goes there is a factory type extension about 3 in. long with 2 oil line fittings built in (they are properly capped) and a normal oil filter area at the bottom. This arrangement is ugly as hell and gets in the way cause the oil filter is now 3in. lower. Question is, can this thing be removed and how is it attached. BILL RINALDI

2. kennkat

kennkat

Yes, it can be removed. Unscrew the oil filter and you will see two bolts to remove. These attach it to the block. After removal you will need to get the oil filter bypass/mount and the 2 bolts to install it. Walla, put a filter on it..

3. plaintoast

plaintoast
    from mora

yes it can be removed and replaced with a standard style oil filter adapter, remote filter housing, etc.
    i believe there are two Allen head plugs that unscrew the unit.

4. Fenders

Fenders

Yup, that extension is for an oil cooler (where the fittings are capped). If you aren't doing 4X4 or heavy off road, remove it.

5. Bill, the other guy's told you how and what to do, this is what you need to do it with, if you were closer I would give you a few of them. Chevy Oil Filter Adapter w/bypass, TR

Attached Files:

6. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

Traditions,
    Is that oil filter adapter plate a factory stock piece or aftermarket?
    I have an 1988 350 TPI motor(L98?) that has/had and oil cooler
    with two half inch hoses to the oil filter spacer piece.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Factory item Chinarus. They come on any small block that came from the factory that had a spin on filter that didn't have the oil cooler adapter.

I wouldn't throw the oil cooler adapter in the junk though as it should bring a couple of bucks at a swap meet.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  8. That's a factory piece.
    Its not factory on a tpi motor, the oil cooler adapter that you have is.
    It will bolt right on once you remove the oil cooler adapter.

PS. That oil cooler setup is the hot ticket for someone who wants to run one.
    You'll be able to sell it , I'm sure.

9. GM part # 3952301, or you can find them practically anywhere such as Jegs, Summit, Speedway Motors, heck probaly even the local AutoZone, they came on Big Block as well as Small Block and 4.3 V-6 too, TR

10. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

There ya go Bill, I have a remote set up if ya need it.

11. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Is a crate motor traditional?

12. jmpowie

jmpowie

Well done sir

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

is bitchin about crate motors traditional? answer: What is yes

14. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

As far as traditional goes, small block Chevy's have been in 32 Fords since 1955. As far as a crate motor goes, its kind of hard to build a small block,with clean up bore, pistons, cam, fresh heads, etc for much less than 2 grand. Much less a 12,000 mile used crate motor for $500. BUT the VALUE of the HAMB and all of the combined knowledge? PRICELESS!! Thanks guys I really appreciate you all solving my problem BILL RINALDI

15. But 350s werent :D

16. Deuces

Deuces

My head is startin' to hurt...... Again!:(

17. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

re
    GM part # 3952301, or you can find them practically anywhere such as Jegs, Summit, Speedway Motors, heck probaly even the local AutoZone, they came on Big Block as well as Small Block and 4.3 V-6 too, TR

TR
    You are correct - everybody has these but the price varies from $15.00 to 70.00 (eBay GM NOS). Autozone and OReilly are in the 20.00 range.

thanks