Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 Stude wagons?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cfish50chevy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Does anyone else find the 63 Studebaker Wagonair with its retractable roof the coolest thing going for a wagon with function? All my searching comes back as hard as crap to find one😕 and really...one that's not totally rotten! I think I need a Wagon now! Lol....and although the 64 and later have that roof function, the front ends look like dog poop. 63 is it! Anyone have one for sale?

Attached Files:

2. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

More....

Attached Files:

3. I always thought that idea was brilliant and I'm surprised no modern manufacturer has copied it. Of course the phrase "station wagon" isn't used anymore but there are lots of SUV body shapes that would work well with this design. Good on Stude for building it.

4. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

I have always wanted one, even when I was a kid. They are just so cool, and have that "why the heck did no one else think of that" factor in spades.

There is one running around my neigborhood (it belongs to HAMB member snot275), but I can't recall seeing too many of them around, much less for sale.

5. PackardV8

PackardV8

Go over to the SDC website and post a WTB. They're out there. I saw a really nice one for sale when I was just walking down Main Street in Kalispell, MT a year or two ago.

jack vines

6. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Will do. Good idea. There's 1 on eBay now, but its really rough. I still might grab it as its cheap and ends today.

7. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Another cool one...

Attached Files:

8. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

9. snot275

snot275

Well, here's my old glory. She's not in the best shape, but she's rust free aside from minor surface "patina". The V8 purrs like a charm too. I need to replace all the door and roof seals now that the summer is over (see where procrastination gets ya?). No plans for her as of yet, but EVENTUALLY, I'll repaint her something nice and reupholster the interior. I'm in school for auto body right now as the pre-req for custom fab/restoration, so more than likely I'll take her into school and get 'er done there. If I can get my other project done.... Haha

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/33919188@N06/8183645154/" title="photo-1 by ChrisTheBlackGuy, on Flickr">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/33919188@N06/8183644912/" title="photo-3 by ChrisTheBlackGuy, on Flickr">[​IMG]</a>
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/33919188@N06/8183607273/" title="photo-2 by ChrisTheBlackGuy, on Flickr">[​IMG]</a>

Next to my buddy's truck
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/33919188@N06/8183607177/" title="photo-4 by ChrisTheBlackGuy, on Flickr">[​IMG]</a>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  10. snot275

snot275

And don't make fun of that dinky carb, haha

11. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Looks nice to me - it would have fit right in at the Rat Bastards show in Issaquah lat August...

:cool:

12. Apenaut

Apenaut

They are great but it's hard to find a decent example. Studebaker had the foresight to make drain tubes from the sliding roof rails - Unfortunately, the drain tubes go into the rear quarters and rocker panels and STOP there - they don't continue through them. Hard to believe but the drain holes in these areas clogged up quickly and held water. It's nearly impossible to find a Wagonaire with solid quarters and rockers. Even worse, there are no replacements to be had (no tailgates either). Despite these problems, I live my '63 Wagonaire and can't wait to have it on the road again. My 63 clip was beyond salvaging, so I replaced it with a dogpoop '64 one.

Attached Files:

13. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Looks like a big project&#128541; mabey I should take that headache off your hands&#128527;

14. Apenaut

Apenaut

Oops, missed a pic or 2 (had to resize).

Attached Files:

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Outstanding design done by a super great Co. always loved Studebaker

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Actually, GM copied the ideal on the GMC Envoy circa 2004.

17. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Its not that the carb is dinky, you just need a couple more of 'em ;)

18. snot275

snot275

Haha! Touché sir... Touché

19. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man that thing has the same mercedes grill that my 62 lark wagon has we are gonna drive to bonneville this year 5.3 liter 800 + hp should be fun !

20. I passed on one twenty years ago
    Regret that move

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. the sliding roof on them Studes was offered before 64' but the front clip does interchange back to 1961' I think....

22. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Cool cars, and a novel idea that roof. Someone else beat me to the GM copycat.
    The second to the last Studebaker built is a Wagonair, and it now resides here in Reno
    at the National Automobile Museum.

23. cfish50chevy

cfish50chevy

Is anyone repopping parts for these things? It seems as if every dash is wasted and tailgate is rusted out? Someone has to have caught on to this delima right? Or is the demand way too low?

24. Apenaut

Apenaut

A hard plastic dash overlay is available for '63's. Factory original dash pads are still available for 64-65's (but they have to be painted - they are only available in light green!).

There are a lot of NOS Studebaker sheet metal pieces available, but Wagonaire tailgates, quarter panels and rocker panels are not among them. Good used examples of tailgates are very hard to find too, even in places without major rust issues, like California. I know - I'm always on the lookout for them (and have two good examples squirreled away for the future).

As for the potential demand for repopped parts? Let me put it this way: if you had a Wagonaire and took it to an all-Studebaker show, you would probably have the only one there and be the center of attention!

25. PackardV8

PackardV8

Here ya go!

[​IMG]

Selling off my project wagon stude's.

#1 1963 Daytona Wagonaire, 259 V8, AT. Retractable Roof! (cool option) Nice strait body with only a couple small dings on the corners, surface rust only. This is the car I planned on putting together using the 64 for parts.

#2 1964 commander wagon, 259 V8, (supposed to run but I haven't tried, you know how that goes) AT, This is a real complete wagon, has pretty much everything the 63 needs which is why I bought it, because as you know "if your gonna put one Studebaker together, you better have another for parts" both doors on the driver side are sprung and the front one is really out of whack, but the glass is good in both along with all the internals. Car has good glass all round.

You can definitely with a little time put together a good unique wagon out of the two. Or pick up these two for your parts for #3 can never have enough parts studes :) Probably worth more in parts than together but I don't have the time so I am not interested in parting out.

Got my eye on a different project so these gotta go. $1400.00 OBO for the pair, or may consider part trade towards 1/2 ton Chevy project 1935-1954 (I'm in the mood for a rat truck)

Thanks for looking, If interested call Mark 509-two two zero-7979

http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3373735452.html

jack vines

26. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

join the Studebaker Drivers Club. They are out there. Many Stude guys are over 60, & dont embrace the web, so paper classifieds and word of mouth rule. Demand is low, deals can be found. saw a decent 63 sedan sit for 2 years on a busy road, no takers.

27. swe64

swe64

question. found this studebaker on a meeting anyone who know what year.

Attached Files:

28. Stude-sled

Stude-sled

The truck is from 1960-1964.

29. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I had a chance to buy a '65 Wagon with sliding roof back in 'late '90's for $1,000. but the back half of the fenders were rotted away. It had a factory Chevy 327 c.i. with ram horn exhausts, and "Studebaker" embossed on the valve covers. It's still on my list of "Must haves".

30. butterchad

butterchad