Register now to get rid of these ads!

easy question for the experienced

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FTW666, Nov 17, 2012.

1. FTW666

FTW666

this is probably a simple answer for the experienced builder. on a 53 chevy sedan 210. im looking for screws for the interior window moldings. windshield. back window, quarter windows, and doors. im actually looking for the sizes only so i can get just the replacements i need rather than buy a whole interior kit.
    all help is greatly appreciated, thank you

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

3. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

You can also get them at McFadden & Dale. They have stores in Ontario, Corona, Santa Ana & Anaheim. If they don't have what you want, you probably don't need it.
    http://mcfaddendalehardware.com/

4. FTW666

FTW666

Thanks I'll check into both those.

5. If someone with one of those cars can remove a screw and tell you what size/pitch it is you can probably get them at your local Fastenal. I had to go there to get the proper pitch/size/head screws for my dashboard that no repro dealers sold.

I got 20 stainless screws for $1.95 so they aren't as expensive as the repo dealers in my particular case.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  6. oldolds

oldolds

It's a bit of a pain to find single screws of the correct style and chrome plating. The best thing to do is find a GM junk car from the 50's and strip all those screws or get the kit. It will prob be cheaper than buyiny 10 or 15 single screws.

7. charlieb66

charlieb66

Hate to say this but: if you are trying to save a couple of dollars by not buying a kit, you are in the wrong hobby.

8. usmile4

usmile4

With my 49 I did the screws from the hardware store thing. With my 51 it was a little more to buy the kit but I didn't have to make several trips to different stores to find exactly the size I needed. Save yourself time and effort...buy the kit.

9. banginona40

banginona40

Check out upholstery supply stores. A lot of choices including for instance a # 10 screw with a #8 head, useful if the holes are wallowed out.

10. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Go here and download the Auveco catalog. Look for the "pdf" clickable link at the top of the pictures in the text. Once you have the catalog you look at the pictures for head shape and use a spare screw that fits to find thread pitch. Once you have the Auveco part number, just Google "Auveco" followed with a space and then the part number. That will find you the vendors who sell the screws you are looking for.

http://www.auveco.com/product/auto.html

11. FTW666

FTW666

Thanks again, I'll check into the website for sure Dane. I'm really looking for the sizes that I need. I have no samples to go off of.
    Charlieb66..... I don't mind spending the money for the right parts. The reason I haven't bought a "kit" is, I have not been able to find one. The "car shop" out here doesn't have a kit and Chevys of the 40s can't tell me if the kit they sell is the right one for me. I don't know of any other vendors for 53 Chevy 2dr sedans. Thank you all again I appreciate the input.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

don't any of you car folks subscribe to Hemmings? I have found it to be an invaluable source of small parts, as many of the old dudes (like me, I guess) have been collecting these small parts for so long, they've opened a business to sell that kind of stuff. There must be at least four pages of 'parts for sale' following the Chevrolet Cars section. Somebody in there has the screws you're looking for or can steer you in a good direction. I still consider the HAMB a great place to look first, because there are REAL people here.

13. henry29

henry29

That's one the dumbest things I've heard in a while.

I buy nice interior screws at the local paint shop for $2.00 a box, same thing in a kit online is $38.00.