Register now to get rid of these ads!

"ORCHARD STANTIONS" 28-29 Adjustable windshield stantions/bases

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowtech36rod, Nov 23, 2012.

1. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

I recently found these and thought I would share them with you guys. I thought they were rare but didn't know that much about them. Someone called them "ORCHARD STANTIONS" and said they were made to be indexed forward instead of "laid back". At any rate, a cool piece of history that I thought you all would enjoy seeing, making comments or educating me on history of them. Hope everyone had a good holiday.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  2. Carter

Carter

Let's try this.

Attached Files:

3. Carter

Carter

Those are the same ones I have 3/4 of a set of. I am missing one upper stanchion.

4. E Burfield

E Burfield

Where did you find them at?

5. Carter

Carter

I bought my partial set at the Canfield Oh swap meet.

I'm just guessing, but he may have got his in PA somewhere based on the picture labels being 'Pennsylvania trip'.

6. Carter

Carter

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Many years ago, about 40, I had a Very Rough 28-29 Roadster with a set of those posts, cast brass or bronze, I've never run across another set. Rare is not an over used word, wonder if anyone ever repoped them. Bob

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  8. Brandi

Brandi

I want some of those so damn bad.

9. I had a set, solid bronze. Had em chopped and then sold em to my buddy Logan. Bitchin stuff!!

[​IMG]

10. McFly

McFly

I had a pair of bronze stanchions, I'm pretty sure they were repoped...but in low quantities. My pair did not have the grooves cut into them were they swivel. They constantly slipped...so I got rid of them. Threw them right in the trash.;):D

11. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

hey cool stuff guys. THESE ARE BRASS not aluminum (heavy as lead). i found them here in AZ. residual left overs from an estate sale. they were in the "junk pile" :). I have heard about them but have never actually seen a pair.

12. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

are these stamped with and L to designate the side? mine have R and L stamped in them...

13. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

killer pic. chris you always have great stuff.

14. I found one at Hershey for $100. Figured to never find a mate, so, I left it layin'. Probably not a good move, but....
    There's a set on the bay right now--they were at near $300 last nite with 5 days left till auction end.
    I'm just gonna build my own out of a pair of stock posts and a pair of chopped uppers off a 32. :cool: Hey, it's just metal ;)

15. Carter

Carter

Mine are stamped L and R also. They seem too heavy to be aluminum as well, but appear to be from the back.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

16. Mine are aluminium and were originally stock height.

I cut them 2inches and had new ones cast.

[​IMG]

17. Forgot to say they were marked L and R as well.

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You didn't happen to buy those through Frank Streff at So Cal Phoenix did ya? He had a set a couple of months ago from an estate and they showed up just about the time I had no cash...

19. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

Haha no I didn't but what was he asking for them? Do you remember? I'd like to take his 37 coupe home with me...but a little too pricey. You going to be at the swap tomorrow?

20. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

Love the car. Very cool.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I think he was looking for about 400.00 or so. This must have been September of this year. They were chrome too, and I'm kinda deciding to go all black on my RPU and let the No hole Halibrands do the "bling" work, so to speak. That was part of the hold up for me beyond broke-a-tude; why buy something with perfect chrome when I need to strip it?

Heck yes I'll be out in the A.M.! I'll get out as early as I can manage getting up! i decided today not to take a load out and sell, 'cause I just don't have enough stuff to foot the bill for a space. I'm the somewhat tall, goofy, short haired blonde guy in the H.A.M.B. shirt...

22. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I don't know how you guys with these severely laid back posts drive without constantly hitting your knuckles on your windshield. Small steering wheels?

The posts on my '29 roadster aren't even laid back that far, and my hand barely clears the windshield glass when it's at the top of the '55 Lincoln wheel.

Just an observation. Laid back posts do look really bitchin'.

23. Thanks mate.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn Binga, seeing yours makes me feel 4X as bad for passing on those posts I missed this summer! Nice RPU!

25. lowtech36rod

lowtech36rod
    from Kentucky

I don't think id mind the sore knuckles...and I wouldn't mind the sore back/neck I'd have from trying to fit into your perfectly chopped A :)

26. George G

George G

27. metal man

metal man

A local Model A restorer gave me a set of those last summer. I brought them home and put them on the tub. I decided I liked my chopped and leaned back stock posts better, so I took them back off.

Since then, I found an extra windshield frame in my shed, so I intend to chop them 2" and alternate between them and the steel ones.

28. Thanks need louvers ?

One of the tricks I learned with these posts is that if you swap the top of the posts to the opposite side then the posts don't lean back as far as when they are on the correct side.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya I kinda figured that when I was fondling that set last summer. Seems like about the easiest way to lean a windshield.