Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ready to prime / paint questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Nov 18, 2012.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

First set of body panels are in. Looking to start the assemly of some of the parts I have . Body and frame have very light surface rust. And I want to end up with a flat primer type paint as a final. I have use epoxy primer but ends up kind of glossy. I don't want that. Probably a red oxide color. Any idea as to what steps I need to do in order to start painting.Also is there a paint that will let me end up with the look that will last ?

Attached Files:

2. jmpowie

jmpowie

you will need to spray epoxy first then your red primer color. If you just use primer it will rust in a few years. Primers let water get to the metal.

3. matthew mcglothin

matthew mcglothin

^^^what he said . You will defiantly need to seal the metal with epoxy primer. Then coat with some red oxide for your look you want. Just did my buddy's 39 ford this way.
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1353254321.581421.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1353254339.925395.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Attached Files:

4. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

5. jick

jick
    from london

Like the two previous replies.... Epoxy it all first then put whatever primer you want over that..... Looks like a nice car, it would look even better painted "properly" :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. aerocolor

aerocolor
    from dayton

I realize you prefer red oxide color but do use an etching primer as the first coat. Nothing else sticks better.

I believe DTM Dupont is tintable with a maroon mix color so you might try for that. Start with the white and tint to please.

I did my roadster in the black and it isn`t flat but closer to the e-coat semi gloss that comes on replacement panels. Very durable and doesn`t chalk like Ditzler DP series primers. Easy to clean too.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      485.9 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      512.4 KB
      Views:
  7. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

X2

Spray a coat off epoxy with a "slow" hardener and there would be no gloss!!
    Sand it a little and spray a color coat finished with a clear coat with a matting paste.
    You will get a suede finisch with any color you like.
    just my 2ct.

in attach a pic of my motorbike "two tone paint job" suede an gloss.

Attached Files: