Register now to get rid of these ads!

57 3100 daily driver build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sqrlnts, Mar 15, 2012.

1. dubie

dubie

some damn fine work going on right there.

2. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

59Apache and dubie, thanks that's what keeps me moving.

Getting closer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 1959apache

1959apache

looks just a tiny bit off, will it move at all or is this the final mockup? Looks like your jig has it in position though

4. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Not final yet, it's off a bit just like it's owner.

5. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Wow! I really like the way you have temporarily braced everything. This is going to be rock solid when you are all finished! Keep up the great work.

6. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

7. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Out of MIG gas bummer. Time to fit the floor? I am so glad these cabs are equivalents.

8. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

She is tacked in and the damn door actually latched second adjustment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 1959apache

1959apache

turned out pretty nice, those doors don't usually fit that great in my experience. keep it up man

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow!! Great work right there!!!

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

holy hell ! killer work

12. dubie

dubie

damn nice fit you have there. Good job man. Most people wouldn't even think of doing this and you're making it look easy

13. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

THANKS GUYS!!! Couple more pics. The undulated door step area is tuff to grind down. Used a cutting wheel to dress the welds so far. Need to replace the emergency brake bracket since this one was cut in half and then fit the new (old) cowl and weld up.

Anyone welded up their cab vent behind the hood? I am thinking this should be done and this is the time to do it....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

New ebrake is in and new cowl is roughed in.
    [​IMG]

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Wow man you do some killer ass work. I would leave the cowl vent in, shaved gives it that new era pro streetish look imho, although i totally see where youre comin from with the rot issues

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

16. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Thanks Grenade! I want to keep the vent cover, just want to plug the openings below to prevent crap from entering the cab. I know the future AC system won't require it and it would keep rain out of my future 6x9 speakers dry. So many damn future plans!

17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

You could always mount speakers up under the dash and/or behind the seat depending on your gas tank choice. id be really interested to see how you close off under the vent if you decided to do that. Maybe even just weld the louvers shut on the underside of the panel?

18. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

I rebutchered the existing radio hole with a patch panel from the old cab, sorry no pics, trust me its a hack weld job. I have found a new problem, I want a 57, fleetside now...... Hmmmmm maybe Santa can drop a 58-59 short fleetside box down the chimney??!!???.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Yup
    [​IMG]

Damn, these things are uncommon, cause this one is ugly and I still like it....
    [​IMG]

20. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

21. dubie

dubie

it took me 6 years to find a nice rust free short fleetside bed to replace the original rusty one on the back of my wifes 58 GMC. I prefer this style of bed to all others in the 55-59 era. I had even thought of doing the body work on the rusty bed and spraying it to match my 56 body so I could swap between a fleet side and a step side

Attached Files:

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

1959 apache on here told me he had a lead on a fleetside, shoot him a pm. Maybe he can make something happen for ya

23. 1959apache

1959apache

already taking care of it, thanks green

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

If you're talking about plugging the vent holes in the kick panels, I don't see why that wouldn't be OK, but if you're going to plug the holes up inside the cowl you might create a low spot where water will accumulate.

25. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have a lead on a short fleet for my '58 big back window Apache (future project). I plan on making that one a 4x4...just not sure how a fleet will look on a 4X4 truck. Anyone have pics of that?

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

What engine do you plan to run ?

27. dubie

dubie

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

I have a '66 327, a '67 396 and a '69 350. Most likely the 396, but I've considered making a 377 out of the 327. The 350 that would be a cool platform for a 383. Of course, it all takes money...lol.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

yes it does lol. 396 would be badass. for me, a 4x4 is a work truck. thats just the way its intended in my eyes, and other than traditional hot rods and bikes, my other interests are diesels. particularly cummins, and old detroits. a 6bt cummins is without a doubt the best engine for a work truck imho. ridiculous torque and un questionable reliability. heres a 58 napco with a 6bt. killer ride. my apache is a total 180 from this one but damn, i would love to have this truck.

dont mean tyo jack your thread man. back o/t

30. Mike W.

Mike W.

As have I, never had anything other than drum brakes on my old iron. Never had power steering either except on my old '57 Burb that was an old Apache Res. school bus with factory p/s similar to the tri-5 cars. Sold it to a guy in Phx. that I heard later put 4x4 under it, wish I had the p/s back.

I've read through the whole thread with interest as I'm still building these trucks. A thought on the 1/2" tire/tirerod clearance is the rims are from a later truck, don't know if it makes any difference.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012