Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Thankful

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Have to agree with you there. But I'm more thankful for the cars themselves.

3. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Yep, I still get a brain chill looking at some of these.

4. Can't agree with you more Ryan, and its even better that some crazy guys even let us run these old cars at places like Eagle Field..............

5. pumpman

pumpman

Very true, I have nothing but admiration and respect for those guys. I'm fortunate to know a couple of these dudes who let visit them and lust over their cars.

6. deto

deto

I'm thankful that we live in a country that produces individuals who are stubborn, adventurous, and dedicated enough to bring history back from the dead, so we all may enjoy it.

7. S.F.

S.F.

It's not just a race car anymore. Its an art form. visual stimulation is sometimes more powerful than a visceral experience

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looking at that belly tank made me wonder. When the first one was about to be built and it was just a tank on the floor, it would have been cool to hear the conversation.

What you gonna do with that?

I'm gonna build a racer.

WhAAAAAAAT? Your outta your ////// mind. :D

9. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

I've also thought the same thing about a lot of the old customs/racecars-things that were mega different.
    Your comment made me LOL

10. chigger

chigger

Needs to be called "artistry ready for motion"

11. jangleguy

jangleguy

This highly realized art form IS very powerful, but is only one aspect of the visceral experience. For the last several years, I've been hellbent on bringing both elements into a single event where these cars can be studied in static and animated form. Eagle Field is pretty promising, but I hope Ryan read Pork 'n' Beaner's note. The more the merrier...

Scotty

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!! He did a great job on that car didn't he? Go NC!

Die hards is what they are I tell ya! Build a car and spend money sweat and time for something you can hardly drive! That's the spirit!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. preach it brother

14. Junk Hunter

Junk Hunter
    from The Ozarks

...'If you build it, they will come.'

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Me too! I've been wanting to build a Chassis Research t-448 Based digger for awhile now, but what the hell to do with it once I do? I've talking a bit with the local NHRA tech guy about what it would take to get it on the track for less than 10.0, but it looks like it would be pretty well comprimised...

16. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

While my late grandfather's would not be considered concours by any means, it is period correct of mid 50's dragster. I am thankful it was perserved for me to 'restore'. And from the other side of the fence (so to speak), we are thankful that you all enjoy it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Then...
    [​IMG]

and now...[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  17. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You said it man. Without the fellas crazy enough, a lot of this stuff would be lost.

I would give my lefty to drive that thing!

18. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Awesome! sooo many details on that one.

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

Cool post.

And since I didnt see anything that excluded period Road Race cars...:D

7 27 12 004.JPG

4 23 12 068.JPG

Solo 2.jpg

11 21 12 004.JPG

11 21 12 005.JPG

11 21 12 008.JPG

20. I saw this car up close at Goodguys in Charlotte,N.C.,,the work is not short of amazing.

I must have spent close to an hour pacing back and forth trying to take it all in.HRP

21. autobilly

autobilly

Looks like this one's had at least a couple of runs at Speed Week.
    [​IMG][/URL]

22. Some of the most rewarding work I've done was working on vintage race cars. Trying to get inside the heads of the early designers and mechanics, and keeping in mind they didn't have all the answers we have today.

23. skwurl

skwurl

That tanker is one of the nicest cars I have stood next to. I talked to the owner a bit. He was a real cool guy too

24. outlaw256

outlaw256

well i never really thought about it until you brought it up boss but yes they do deserve a big pat on the back for that.i couldnt even think about building a car or restoring one that i couldnt use like it was built for.it would drive me insane.at least till i sneaked it out ..lol

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm thankful for this hobby (building and driving traditional hot rods). It's something that resonates with me.

26. Since I grew up in the 40s and 50s I got to experience lots of cool stuff. Most every thing was built in a home garage (if you had a garage) or a yard by a bunch of guys putting their heads together nights and weekends. We shared tools and ideas and beer. To me there was nothing cooler than to see what showed up at the drag strip back then. By todays standards not much as far as safety or technically right, but they were great cars.
    Later,
    Dick

27. That is a work of art for sure. Hope everyone has a safe and happy thanksgiving.

28. flamingokid

flamingokid

It's nice to live in a world where these automotive sculptures exist,and for this I'm thankful.I'm also thankful for people with more skill than me that can create and/or restore such beauty.

29. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

This is who we all have to thank :rolleyes: for setting the precedent :mad:

Attached Files:

30. The37Kid

The37Kid