Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hilborn Travers intake for flathead!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chadman, Aug 25, 2009.

1. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

still looking for any info and pictures even more about hilborn travers flathead intake! I have contacted hilborn and got the original invoice, but really don't have any pictures of one! I would like to see the way it is set up on a flathead and any kind of history on the piece! It was bought on 8-7-52 from nugent auto parts and would also like to know where this shop was located! any info would help! thanks

I have added a couple pictures of mine to help everybody find a pic of one for me!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

3. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

that is close, but this is my intake above and I can't find any old pics or anything on it other than the invoice hilborn sent me! thanks

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

its the same intake... yours is just an earlier version.

5. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

This unit from '48 looks earlier than yours

[​IMG]

Garlits has this one like yours

[​IMG]

Thats all the Hilborn stuff I have. will try to dig up more. Hope it helps.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  6. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

7. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

Man, this is great! this is very helpful, those stacks look home made!

8. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Whitey McDonald still uses the old style injectors. They set up just like the new style as far as I can tell. They're just shaped different. Go to my web page and look through the Flathead/Inline Nationals pictures and eventually you will find pictures of Whitey's setup. One year I photographed him changing pills, so it will now doubt show some plumbing.

9. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

cool, great thanks for the help

10. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

this helped me alot! thanks to you that found these sites and pictures!

11. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

Here is mine. It was made in January, 1950. It was unit number 116. Hilborn told me they started numbering the production units at 101.

Attached Files:

12. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

wow! mine is #151 wish I had the rest of the motor to go with it like you do!

13. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

Don Gerlits has number 132, I think. I know it was low 130's. His is without engine too.

14. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Nugent Auto Parts was (is?) in Columbus, IN. They campaigned track roadsters before switching to a Flathead powered sprint car in 1952. The car was variously carbureted and injected. The injector pump was V-Belt driven and mounted on a bracket off the left side of the engine. Pat O'Conner drove the car to third place in the AAA Midwest Sprint Championship that year.

What's to know about "how it was set up"? It was set up like every Hilborn since-You need a pump and a pump drive adapter so you can belt drive it. it needs a supply line from the tank to the pump and a return jet to control mixture and maybe a bypass or two. The pump supplies fuel to the barrel valve and what the barrel valve can't digest returns to the tank thru the return jet.

15. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

Dale, I have the pump also. This pump was mounted on/to the right frame rail and v-belt driven. My pump is actually a very old Enderle.

16. I think Speedway still sells the mechanical fuel injection for a flat head. Hilborn still sells the pump. They did a couple of years ago anyway.

I was told that they work good for wide open throttle and are not designed for driving into Walmart or McDonalds parking lots.

I always thought they were cool. Maybe the new electronic ones are more for the street but they might not look good on a traditional hot rod.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  17. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

The flathead unit is still available from a number of places. I have one I picked up on eBay a number of years. I doublt I'll ever us it, but had to have it. You know how that goes.

18. Ugh I want one of these so bad!!!! If you don't mind me asking, how much do originals usually go for?
    Joe

[​IMG]

19. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

A used one will be priced based on it's "historic"/nostalgia value and will probably have dried out hoses, a corroded barrel valve, worn throttle shafts, boogered screw heads, no or corroded pump, and the wrong nozzles. If you want one to run, buy the brand new one from Speedway.

On second thought, since it would have seen limited use, the throttle shafts (and their bores ) probably would not be worn. Not like one on a SBC sprint car engine with thousands of dirt track miles.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  20. This is a unit I have # 153 it's in very good condition I got it complete with the original pump, crank pully and fuel pill.

Attached Files:

21. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

Looks a really nice one. The pump looks like an Enderle. Is it marked?

22. Pump is a Hilborn unit.

23. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Mine is #137. I don't think you can buy the 5A nozels anymore. I ran a belt drive pump
    mounted on a offset generator bracket.

24. seatex

seatex

whatever it is, it's COOL!!!!!!!! What a score!

25. Tequila Bob

Tequila Bob
    from Michigan

I think kinsler.com has the nozzles. He has everything!

26. mr.32

mr.32

Hilborn has nozzles, but use Kinsler pills.

27. chadman

chadman
    from illinois

yep I got the original hilborn travers pump, the pill and the ratty old hose it came with! I have no idea what its worth! I have it on my living room on display now, decided to just do a tri power on my flatty,

28. 28speedster

28speedster

i have #169 ran dirt tracks in oregon, i have chain drive original hilborn pump setup.

29. Nugent autoparts belonged to a guy named Ted. LOL

I don't have pics but I have seen an early Hilborn unit running the stacks crisscrossed if that is any help at all. I don't know how much difference that makes.

30. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

It needs to stay a display piece. It will not make you happy on the street. If you have to have an injector get one of the new ones. I have probably had 30 to 40 different injectors on all of the various race cars over 40+ years of racing and none would have been "pleasant" on the street...except the 61 vette unit I ran on a 62 Chevy II in some bastardized AHRA class.