Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Blast From The Past

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Nov 14, 2012.

1. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

Awesome. I bet a lot of my posts on here sound like that. Maybe I didn't know what I was doing but thought I knew everything but the heart in the right place and the passion burning. I just wish I would have done something and could see it be something awesome today.

2. DirtyJoe

DirtyJoe

This should come up before you even enter a name. Thank you. I knew there was somewhere I belonged. Lets keep raising a little hell.

3. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Yea, you're hair does look pretty lame in that post Ryan.

4. Benchdawg

Benchdawg

Thanks Ryan!!
    Really is a life changer for me...Mark

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

As I close in on 10 years of membership, and a few more lurking prior to that, I think I can honestly say that the Jalopy Journal has altered the trajectory of my life, and in a good way. The skills and history lessons I have learned here cannot be valued by any real measure. The people I have come to know and respect, I would have never crossed paths with anywhere else. The life lessons that HAMB Andy taught me echo in my head almost daily.

Thanks, boss. Your folks' kitchen table will be in the Petersen some day.

6. ...always a good read what you're typing, thinking, asking, whatever, Ryan! i was not used to be forum user, but the H.A.M.B. is a perfect place for timetravellers to escape from today and meet co-travellers ... now my car's shining, but the alliance tag will make it glow. proud of this. thank you, man! ;)

Carsten

7. austinhunt

austinhunt

The cool part is that you didn't move on to the trendy new fads. I find myself more and more interested in the old ways the more I learn and screw up on my project.
    Thanks.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

In 1995, I'd been rod running across this country for 17 years...had been to many nats and countless miles fell under the tires of my old Studey...I still have it yet today, but many other cars have come and gone...

And yet, 1995 doesn't feel that long ago, but then again, neither does 1978 when I started rod running, going to my first nats in Oklahoma City...ahhh, those were the days...

I didn't get involved in the HAMB until some years later...and I'm still here yet today...

Congrats on the beginning Ryan ,we all start somewhere...!!!

R-

9. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

What year did the drag slick "entry porthole" go away? I know I was a lurker for sure then.

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

the Beach Boys were for pussies? man, you weren't even around in 1964

11. I remember reading the interview with the Rev and occasionally checking in to see what other things of interest popped up on the Jalopy Journal, but never ventured into here till much later on. Just lurked for awhile.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Well, I'm glad you did it.

I don't know what I would have done with my time for the last ten years, otherwise.

13. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks for your perseverance and dedication, Ryan.

viva la HAMB.

14. McPhail

McPhail

gay

raven likes this.
  15. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

McPhail - "Gay".

Haha. I wish I could get away with that.

'95...man ten years before I found out about the JJ & Hamb! Where was I?!

I'm sitting here imagining (trying) what it would be like had you not started any of this. I actually shivered.

I think it would be awesome, maybe even highly amusing to dig up some of your long gone 'gems' for us to enjoy again, or for many of us for the first time.

Thanx, 'BRO'!

Darryl Deir likes this.
  16. skullcracker

skullcracker
    from Austin

Ryan you are one amazing dude. Tomorrow I'm saying my "Thankful for's" and you are right up there next to John Elway #7!

17. Doug B

Doug B

Looked like this when I started lurking. Thanks for hanging in there Ryan,I've learned a lot here.

Attached Files:

18. Ryan,
    Thank you. Thank you for creating a place where we can go, open a cold one, and commingle with thousands of others like ourselves.
    My morning coffee wouldn't taste nearly as good without the HAMB.
    Thank you, and all of you for helping me through the toughest year of my life. I'm sure there are many, many that feel the same sense of family, of support.
    Thank you for untold hours of side splitting laughter and entertainment. And knowledge that comes from experience.
    There is an unspoken sense of camaraderie here that exists in very few other environments.
    Ryan created this, but it is our responsibility to keep it as great as it is....

Darryl Deir likes this.
  19. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

When I came across the HAMB, there was an icon that flipped the bird. I thought, "This place sounds like fun." I registered as "coolpt." I was asked for an introduction and was thrilled to share photos of my brand new PT CRUISER with screw on Moons and wide whites.....honest, they asked. Bad move! I apologized and was allowed to hang around. No amount of money could buy they friends I've made, the things I've learned or the fun I've had. Ryan, you are the Hunter S. Thompson of 4 wheels. Thank YOU!

raven likes this.
  20. jwoods

jwoods
    from lansing

Yeah Ryan thank you for making my work day a lot more tolerable. I have leaned on the hamb many a boring afternoon. and made a few friends along the way many thanks man keep it up:)

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Two people that immediately come to mind have done a lot to keep traditional hot rods and customs alive and kicking IMO.........you, Ryan, and Alan from Billetproof. I am sure there are others, but both of you work hard every day to provide venues for the rest of us to enjoy.

Thank you.

Don

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

This site helped me get through some hard times since I signed on...
    Thank you Ryan!!... ;)

23. warpigg

warpigg
    from gypsy

This makes me feel old... but so does seeing fresh faced hipsters in 3 inch cuffs and harness boots. I can't be old enough to see a fashion rollover, can I?

24. So glad I came across this post... Seeing it for the first time in 2018... Amazing to look back and see how far you've come and how you got here... Great post...