Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turn Signal Help ~ Arrow 286 in a '53 Ford PU

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wolfex1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. wolfex1

wolfex1

I am helping a friend get a '53 Ford PU back on the road after 14 years of garage life. I have encountered a problem, in that the front turn signals come on when I hit the brakes. He had paid someone previously to rewire the lights. No doubt, the turn signal switch has the front and rear lights wired together. I would love to have a schematic for the arrow 286 turn signal switch, so I can sort this problem out. Anybody on the HAMB have such an monster?

2. Ole don

Ole don

A 53 Ford pickup had a factory turn signal switch in the column. Replace it with factory parts and the wiring will be correct.

3. This should help.

Attached Files:

4. wolfex1

wolfex1

Thanks! Is this generic, or is this specifically for the Arrow 286? I see the '56 at the bottom of the schematic. ~WX1

5. wolfex1

wolfex1

Sure, but this thing has been rewired from one end to the other, by someone else , with no record of what they did. The system in the truck seems to be working somewhat. If I can get the color codes for the Arrow 286, I can sort it out.

6. Do yourself a favor and buy a new rewire kit and start over. Then you will know what the hell you got and not just a bunch of hodge podge. Fixing someone else's mess is a pain.

7. wolfex1

wolfex1

I am not the type of person to just throw money at a problem. The wiring for all the lights is new, and I have the skills, but a schematic of the Arrow 286 with color codes will be helpful. I have, however, started from scratch on two occasions when repairs were not feasible. Speedway has a kit with 20 circuits for cheap and all wires are marked. Thanks! ~WX1

8. thats a 53 to 56 ford wire diagram.

9. wolfex1

wolfex1

Thanks! I'm on it. ~WX1