Register now to get rid of these ads!

16" ford wires on a late rear?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead748, Nov 20, 2012.

1. motorhead748

motorhead748

Im currently in the parts gathering/thinking about/ design mode for the next project. a 34 pickup. One thing I want to use is the wire wheels I have because they belonged to my dad My question is can they be used on a 8" or 9" rear with the stock brake drums. I know the bolt pattern is different but was more concerned with the late drums working with the wires. Im not adverse to using a banjo rear if thats the best solution.

2. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Yup, just get yourself the proper adapters from Wheelkid here on the HAMB. Easy peasy.

3. motorhead: Some of the 9" rears have the same 5 1/2" bolt pattern and others have enough axle flange to re-drill. Yup, the adapters are a lot easier and yes you do have to watch how the wire seats on the drum. Even on my truck with '40 drums I have a spacer between the drum and wheel center. I also had a problem with the weights on the drum interfering with the edge of the wire wheel. The difference there being the wire was built for mechanical brake cars and the 'juice brake" drums were different. It all comes together eventually..Tim

4. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

My early Bronco 9" rear is 5 on 5½". Not too sure just how available they are these days.

5. Im running a modern s10 rear end with drum brakes 4 3/4 bolt pattern. I had to use a lug adapter to make the bolt pattern work. its just wide enought that the drum in the hub of the wheel does not hit the drums on the rear end.

Attached Files:

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Ditto....

[​IMG]