Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone use a gps tracker?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasLinc, Nov 20, 2012.

1. TexasLinc

TexasLinc

I've never been so paranoid about something till I got my coupe. I've been looking for a tracker. It seems like the cheaper $99-199 ones that look like cell phones have more usable features than the expensive ones that run off the car power.

I'm conflicted on what to purchase. Any of y'all have any personal opinions on a tracker ?

2. ac0j

ac0j

I have sold and installed a unit offered by Computrac. VERY simple power and ground only hookup if all you want is to track it. It requires a service fee (because its cell phone based) Then you can track it on the internet. IF you want, it can be wired to unlock, lock, start, activate an alarm.. etc.
    It can also keep track of top speed and other data. Seemed to work very well.

3. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

ive never heard anything bad about LoJack

4. TexasLinc

TexasLinc

Thanks man I hadn't found computrac yet

5. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

We traded for a car that had lojack on it the other day. The only down side i saw was that if you lose the two key fobs included you can't start your car.

I thought no big deal because you could just take it uninstall it. Then I found out the guy didnt know where it was installed on the car. Little bit different on a hot rod as I'm sure you would know where the transmitter was located.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I do... a Wife that looks at the map.. and a Compass..:D

7. 5window

5window

You're kidding us, right? Here we are, a traditional hot rod site that argues over things like billet and patina and you want to know about a GPS? The previous poster was right, maps and a lovely partner to read them, that is traditional. Save the GPS for your Lexus.

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Say that now till some low life steels your ride and you wanna know where it is

9. metal man

metal man

Yea, the o.p. is talking about a device to find your ride if it is stolen. Not one to find the nearest McDonald's.

10. river1

river1

Reread the original post fellas. He's lookin for a GPS security tracker, although lockin the spouse in the car might work

Later jim

Ps sorry they beat me too it

11. brewster55

brewster55

you gonna leave that lovely partner/wife in the trunk for when the car gets stolen?

12. metal man

metal man

Pretty sure it would work in my case. She gets pissed off easy, and she packs heat.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

14. TexasLinc

TexasLinc

Gotta love it when ppl don't read the whole post but feel the need to comment.

This is strictly for security purposes... As stated in the first post. I'm not traditional enough to chance having my car stolen and be left with no options other than insurance.

15. 5window

5window

Ah, pardon my ignorance. And Happy Thanksgiving. Perhaps it is a mistake of terminology or geography or age. In my defense, you have to Google well in to the second page for "tracker" before you get anything relevant to tracking something lost. And then, it's for lost dogs.

16. EW_

EW_
    from DFW

Some GPS tracking units draw lots of current so use a battery tender or other device to maintain the battery if the car is not a daily driver.

17. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Did you read and understand the post. He's not looking foa a GPS for navigation , he's looking for it to find a car if stolen. When your car is missing how much use are your maps and girl going to be?

18. With the theft of hot rods and customs as of late it's not a bad idea. HRP

19. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I used to sell zoomback GPS trackers at my motorcycle dealership. Customer came in and bought a new quad, decked it out with winch and wheels... but no zoomback, it got stolen within a week. He came back in and got a new one, this time with zoomback. Two weeks later this one got stolen, He tracked it down and beat the snot out of the thief, and found out that he was the one who took the other too... I stand by them.

20. metal man

metal man

How do they work? Got a link?

21. flyboys101

flyboys101
    from nj

I looked into Lojack and talked to my local Police about it. They told me they have nothing that works with Lojack to track a vehicle if it gets stolen. No budget for devices.

You might want to check with your local Police to see what ability they have to track a stolen vehicle before you shell out money for tracker.

22. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

23. metal man

metal man

So it requires a monthly fee like a cell phone?

24. Checkerwagon

Checkerwagon

"Two weeks later this one got stolen, He tracked it down and beat the snot out of the thief, and found out that he was the one who took the other too... I stand by them."

Oh, I like this. Sounds like a fun thing to do when we need that adrenaline bump. Leave the keys in the rig and wait for a low life. Trolling for the chump that needs to be removed from the gene pool. Of course, I'm kidding.....maybe, try me.

Just checked prices for a Zoombak, 45.00 at Amazon but the reviews were mostly negative.

No matter how cool my Checker wagon really is, no one steals Checkers. My grocery getter car isn't worth stealing so no worries. However, my old daily driver motorcycle (Ducati) is dear to me and attractive to thieves. I am genuinely interested in a realistic, affordable device that would allow me to recover my gear.

Yes, there have been a few other threads about locators but lets keep the ideas coming.

Thanks,
    Dale
    Cleveland OH

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  25. TexasLinc

TexasLinc

26. ibuild

ibuild

i use GPS for speedometers, most people that would complain couldn't build anything to begin with

27. 5window

5window

Did you read and understand the post-16? Let's not be the pot calling the kettle black,huh?

28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Great way to keep track of your teenager...