Register now to get rid of these ads!

suspension-what would you do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usmile4, Aug 28, 2005.

1. usmile4

usmile4

The previous owner of my 49 chevy lowered the car by heating and collapsing the springs…to put it mildly, the ride suffers. I want to fix the ride and want to have the lowered look but need advice cause I’m a real novice.

1. I could go back to stock springs and use lowering blocks as described on this forum in several threads.
    2. I could go with springs from a newer car from the u-pull-it junkyard –are there some that are a straight bolt in?
    3. I could go with an air lift system—this is where I will end up someday but not sure if I should go through this expense right now.

What should I do? Keep in mind that I have very little experience, want to do it “right”, not afraid to learn new things, and want to do “fixes” that will transfer to other projects when the time and money are right.

2. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

3. ironpile

ironpile

I agree, bagging it would be the most cost effective,then if further mods are desired the bags will be compatable. lots of diy instructions available,thats how you learn.good luck Jerry :D

4. usmile4

usmile4

I think my son has gotten to you guys cause that's exactly what he said to do and boy is he gloating now that someone agrees with him instead of dad.

5. Would you post some links to the DIY stuff you've found? I have done some searches here and on goole, but haven't found a good diy... some pictures, yes, but nothing very comprehensinve. I have a '50 and I want to bag the rear. I took a look at the way DIRTYT did his as a 2 link w/panhard, which works well, but I got it in my head to do a trianglulated 4 link. Anybody got anything?

6. OldsLuxoBarge

OldsLuxoBarge
    from Kansas

Hi guys! This is my first REAL post on HAMB so here goes...

I suggest putting an air bag suspension on it. I did the front end suspension on my 64 with a PST kit a few years back but didn't do anything with the springs. Now I am considering putting airbags on my 64. I like the way the PST kit improved my ride; however, when I eventually put airbags in, the money I spent on the PST kit will be wasted since I will probably just go ahead and replace the bushings, ball joints, etc. Get what I am saying? It is just a question of $. I know the airbag suspensions cost alot; however, I think it is worth it to get the AWSOME stance of a REAL CRUISER! :D

7. on the cheap- replace the front coils with stockers, then CUT, don't heat. Lowering blocks in the rear.

8. topless54

topless54

Bags are for Fags...Let that bitch drag!--Disclaimer-I stole that from someone. Really though they are very versitile. I have a friend who built his own triangulated four link. I don't know if he has any good picks because it was a different application. I would agree that cutting stock springs is a good...great poorboy way to get it down. That's what I'm doing.

9. topless54

topless54

oh yeah, don't use heat to cut them. If you do they will probably sag pretty bad and unevenly. Use something like a cutoff wheel.

10. not trying to argue, but I've cut many coils in the car with a torch and never had sagging or unevenness.

11. usmile4

usmile4

I've looked in some cataloges for replacement springs and for front and back they are pretty pricey. Are there any later model springs that will bolt right in that I might be able to find in a junk yard?

How many coils do you cut?

12. FnDIRTYGREASER

FnDIRTYGREASER
    from LA, cali

cut one coil at a time. You can cut more coils off, but you cant add them back on. I cut 2 1/2 on my 54. Sits pretty good. Im getting bags within the next 2 months. I want to drag a$$