Register now to get rid of these ads!

Phosphoric Prep and Etch

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tin Can, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Tin Can

Tin Can

Anyone tried this stuff?
    Klean-Strip 1-Gallon Phosphoric Prep and Etch

I have watched video's on youtube and also found it used by people on other forums with great luck with stripping rust off of steel. I have a hood I picked up that a bodyshop stripped bare and then parked it outside. The rust is really stuborn and doesnt want to come off. I sanded down what I could and wiped naval jelly on it and that made it to where I could sand some areas down to metal easily but there are still some stubborn spots that done want to sand. I am thinking about picking up a gallon of this stuff and giving it a try. Just looking for some input from someone with experience with it first

2. hotdamn

hotdamn

bump, I'd like to know if this is the ticket too

3. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

4. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

it cleans metal very well. you must make sure to remove it all or it will cause the metal to flash rust faster than normal because you are etching it. my process is this. clean the metal as best i can with a sander or wire wheel. then scrub this product in with a red scotchbrite. let it sit for a little bit and it will start to turn the rust black. you can srub it with a wire brush too. this stuff will take care of any minor rust, just depends on how much elbow grease you want to put in. after scrubbing it, i use a towel to soak up what i can. then hit it with a squirt bottle of water to clean off any left over acid. then go over it with acetone to remove any moisture left over from water. this stuff works amazing.

5. hotdamn

hotdamn

awesome! thanks for the heads up!

6. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

im stripping the garnish moldings on the 41 sedan im chopping today. so ill take pics of the before and after with this product for everyone.

7. Tin Can

Tin Can

That is the stuff I was looking at. It sounds like you have had good luck with it. Thanks for the input

8. -tank-

-tank-

Im excited to see how this stuff works for you

9. Look at the date...this thread was last active in March.

10. -tank-

-tank-

Good call. Now i know to look for that

11. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Now that it's revived, I'll add that I have since used this stuff a lot with good results. Keeping it wet helps. Wire brush and scotch brite... Like Johnny suggested above.