Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alternator question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadagent2, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

I am converting a 55 Ford from 6v to 12v. I have a GM external voltage regulated alternator to replace the original generator. Does the diameter of the pulley have any effect on the conversion? The generator pulley is larger than the one on the alternator.

2. that will slow the speed of your alternator a bit.
    some alternators dont charge below 1000RPM[one wire],but I don't think it would foul up anything really.

3. sqhd

sqhd

Biggest reason the pulley is larger on the generator is that generators don't take to kindly to higher RPM's. Alternators don't mind going higher in RPM's so the pulley can be smaller alowing it to charge at idle.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, it actually speeds it up a bit which doesn't hurt anything on it. If you already have it and the regulator run it but if you have to go out and buy new pieces I'd go with an internal regulator Delco instead.

5. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

If you're using an external regulator, why use a GM unit? The excellent Ford 3G setup can be had for cheap (many like the Taurus numbered unit), and get 130 reliable amps in a shelf unit you can get at any parts store