Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 plymouth ribbed bumpers on shoeboxes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dillrod, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Dillrod

Dillrod

got a guy trying to sell me a nice set for a good price and he claims they will bolt right on and look good but they look kinda wide to me .... anyone running them ?

2. Yes , but i'm brain dead can't remember if the way to go is two fronts or two rears

In other words the front and rear 49 Plymouth bumpers are different shaped and one wraps around better on a shoebox

Try them both and see which looks best than - buy either two fronts or two rears

3. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

I'm only running a bumper on the front. Britz, with a Chevy license plate bracket to break it up a little.

Attached Files:

4. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

The Brizio bumper on your yellow shoebox is a repop of a '37 DeSoto ribbed bumper, not the '49 Plymouth....

CB

5. sololobo

sololobo

Good call Cuzinbrucie, the Brizz are often mistaken for the wrong era Your Vicky is lookin hot, I see Jen striped it for you, I am a huge fan of that brite artist. I would not use any thing but stock when the stockers are awesome. But it is, as intended, a very cool custom touch as evidenced in the gorgeous custom yellow rag top example. Keep on Keepin on buddy! ~sololobo~

6. Iron Dog

Iron Dog
    from Minnesota

Thanks CB, should have looked in the "shoebox" of receipts. Bought the "Shoebox Style Briz" bumper from Hot Rod and Custom Supply a number of years ago, along with the '49 Chevy license plate guard. They said it was "custom contoured" to your car, and it fit really well, although we built new brackets to tuck it in just right. Thanks "sololobo", I worked on this for eight years. Took it down to the bare frame and started over. 8BA with Merc crank, Isky cam, three deuces, Offy heads and intake. . .stock front suspension with A arm drop spacers, Aerostar discs, mono springs on the back with 3" lowering blocks. 5-speed. . .geez I didn't realize the receipt box had this much stuff in it. . .probably a good thing.

7. i have a 49 plymouth bumper for my shoebox but i havent installed it yet

8. Stoke 49 Ute

Stoke 49 Ute

ImageUploadedByTJJ1353379347.632089.jpg
    I'm running one on my 49 only on the back had to narrow it almost 4 inches

9. hopped up

hopped up
    from So Cal

The front 49 plymouth bumper has the bumper guards closer to one another and the rear are further apart. I wonder if anybody ever put a 49 merc overrider on them. I have them in storage and been thinking of using. The 49 chevy is commonly used on them though

10. Dillrod

Dillrod

sounds like i need 2 rears then these are real 3 rib plymouth with good chrome not a bad price either im probly gona trade some body work for them