Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model T coupe...Chop more or not

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldsmolet, Nov 19, 2012.

1. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

Sorry for the crappy dark cell phone pictures. What do you guys think? More chop or leave as is? I just picked up a Model A frame to hack up and have a 394 Olds but it may be a little expensive to get a manual for it so may run a mean 327 and 4 speed i have for now. Process is slow with all the other projects i have but plans are to get cracking a lot more on this. Just a learning process. So back to the original question more chop or as is? I like the Bad News T just not sure. Plus im 6'4". lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

wow those pics look even worse on here than on my phone. haha. Well you get the idea More or same?

3. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

more . alot more. chopped it so it is hard to see out of. then it will be JUST right!

4. Looks just right to me. Looks very proportional.

5. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Right-on!

6. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

yeah my original idea was a radical chop. Started off slow and I thought it looked pretty proportional so then started the 2nd guessing of the radical chop! lol I liked the few I seen that were chopped until the quarter windows were almost square but now maybe less is more. Thanks guys

7. metal man

metal man

Nicely proportioned right now, and you can still get in and out of it.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I thought I looked weird driving my T Bucket, then I saw a guy driving a chopped car. I don't feel weird anymore. Being cool must be a pain in the neck......and back.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

Yeah haha this is chopped 6" so far.....thats not bad when it starts with 13" side windows. lol I was going to go 8".

10. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

Looks perfect to me.....especially if you build the car with a good raked stance.

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bingo! Remember it's easier to take more out later if you are not happy but its a BITCH to put it back in!! Too much and everyone will be calling your car a......a.........ugh..............Rat Rod!:eek:

Doc.

12. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

raked is the plan

13. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

yep dont want that!

14. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

It looks like it's chopped 5 or 6 inches, correct? I'm 6'5" and have chopped a T coupe 7" and still fit in it quite comfortably. My eyes were in the middle of all the windows- including the back window. Pictures can be seen here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=12339

15. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

I have followed your pictures. Great looking car. Yeah its 6 inches so far.

16. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Give 'er another inch... what the hell...

17. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

Yeah they always want one more inch. lol

18. brewster55

brewster55

looks terrible.

let me get rid of it for you, so you can get another and start fresh. lol.

19. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

just chopped mine 5'', i put a seat in it befor i cut and sat in it.could have gone 6'' i guess, are you going to channel it? i have 4 cars that i sit on the floor, they get hard on the back on long trips, this one i want to sit up higher. it looks good as is...

20. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

yeah i wanna channel it. Thats where i start getting worried. Ill leave it where its at till then see where were sittin.

Also looking for any T coupe parts. This thing is rough....No garnish moldings, missing couple door hinges, missing trunk hinges, missing rear panel below decklid.

21. 117harv

117harv

What you have removed has brought the windows down to stock model A proportions, go 3 inches more and call it good.

22. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Chop it some more bro...

23. alexasthoma

alexasthoma
    from new york

Yeah they always want one more inch.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

24. if it were me i'd go just a little bit more and keep the windscreen the height that it is now, that header panel needs thinning out a little to my eye.

25. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

Looks good the way it is.

26. chaddilac

chaddilac

That looks great!! They originally have 18" windows, move that header up or replace it with 1" tubing and that'll give you a nice view out the windshield. I wouldn't chop it any more if I were you. I chopped mine 8" because I'm shorter, you just don't want your head sticking out the top!! :)

27. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

I have followed your build forever. I never saw a pic after it was chopped. Link?? This car was rough rough rough. I picked it up and wasn't gonna do much to it. Then my friends wanted like a group project since we all hang in the same garage. I dropped it off sure whatever we can all learn. Yeah it was gung ho for like 2 weeks. You know how it is.

28. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

It's cool where it's at!

29. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

Depends how young / tall you are.
    It looks fine in the photos, but I'm surprised no one ever built a copy of the heavily chopped AMT T coupe with the Latham supercharged Lincoln that seared a hole in my brain in the early '60's. I can still picture it, and would build it if I were younger, and more nimble.

30. oldsmolet

oldsmolet

I'm 24 6'4" 150lbs. So a bean pole. Lol